BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

17 minutes ago, crypto said:

I wonder if I have time to rewatch the entire series before this one premieres...

Well, I started watching S5 yesterday and I’m almost finished today. Maybe I have too much free time though 😂

22 hours ago, Alex said:

I read somewhere that he may have been more involved creatively this season than he has been in past two or three seasons.

That's right - he wasn't involved in writing seasons four or five (his last credit is 3x01). His only contribution was directing 4x09 and 5x08. Peter Gould asked him to rejoin the writers' room for the final season to help land the plane, and he also reportedly directed three episodes (including the penultimate episode, which he wrote, so the credits for the final two episodes of BCS are swapped from the final two of BB).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2013 at 5:30 AM, Jay said:

Me too. I think it's a bad idea. Well, I kinda think it's a good idea and bad idea at the same time.

haha

Yesterday, I started rewatching the series from the beginning. Don't know if I'll make it through all 50 episodes before the new season premieres on April 18, but I'll give it a shot. I had forgotten how hypnotic it was -- stayed up untill 3 AM last night, because I had a hard time turning it off. I just adore the whole office/bed in the nail saloon part of it -- so moody; wish it stayed there longer.

I'm midway through S2 already, 1/2 eps a day oughtta do it. I also forgot just how strongly it pulls you in. Love the relative lack of active show-stopping exposition and all those speeches they had in BB, it makes you pay attention and put the pieces together yourself about who these people are and how they came to be where they are.

Yea I forgot to mention that a week or two ago was 50 days before the season premiere, so a good time to re-watch the existing 50.

I wish I had the time for something like that, but I definitely don't :(

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I forgot to mention that a week or two ago was 50 days before the season premiere, so a good time to re-watch the existing 50.

I wish I had the time for something like that, but I definitely don't :(

Glad I started back in the Christmas holidays. Now I'm going through Breaking Bad again - mid-way through season 3 so hopefully I'll finish with time to spare before BCS starts up again!

14 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I just remembered that I hated the way last season ended.

Praying they don't continue what promises to be an absurd story line.

Interesting - what did you not like about it in particular?

If anybody in the USA hasn't seen Season 5 yet and has Netflix, it will be on that service starting Monday, April 4th - 2 weeks before the Season 6 premiere on AMC Monday April 18th

No way to know how long it will take for Season 6 to show up on Netflix USA, since there's no season 7 to arrive 2 weeks ahead of.

I do know that Good Girls Season 4 just arrived on Netflix this week, and that finished airing on NBC 7 months ago

In our household, we signed up for AMC+ in order to watch the final season of Killing Eve; Conveniently, Season 6 of BCS starts the very next day after that ends, so we'll keep it until BCS finishes up in August.  If it works like Killing Eve, I'll be able to see the episodes on AMC+ before they actually air on the AMC cable channel, which is different from HBO Max where their HBO shows don't show up until they begin airing on the HBO cable channel

4 hours ago, Jay said:

If anybody in the USA hasn't seen Season 5 yet and has Netflix, it will be on that service starting Monday, April 4th - 2 weeks before the Season 6 premiere on AMC Monday April 18th

Wait, what? It hasn't been on Netflix this entire time? I'm pretty sure Netflix is the only way to watch this show abroad. It certainly is in the UK. (Unless you buy the blu-rays).

Yes I know.

In the USA, we have a cable channel called AMC, which is the entity that makes this show and first airs it.

In countries outside the USA, they cut a deal with Netflix to show their product in those countries.  In those countries Netflix even tacks on a "Netflix original" moniker to the front of the episodes, even though they have literally nothing to do with the show existing whatsoever.  It's simply that they have the exclusive rights to stream it in those countries, so within those countries, it is their "original" content you can't stream anywhere else.

In the USA, they cut a deal with Netflix to show their seasons just before the next season is about to begin on AMC, after they'd made all the revenue they can from the ads they show during the broadcast.

Netflix class it as a "Netflix original" over here. Does that mean they joint-funded it with AMC? It sounds like that might not be the case if they don't have access to it until much later. More like "an AMC original...shown on Netflix".

Ha! I had completely forgotten this wasn't an original Netflix production, since that's how it's branded over here. Glad the whole series is on here; currently at season 2, episode 4.

AMC is pretty much the last major American cable channel not to be owned by Warner, Disney, Comcast, or Paramount.  Which of course makes it natural to make a deal with Netflix, since those other 4 companies all have their own Netflix competitor now.

25 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Netflix class it as a "Netflix original" over here. Does that mean they joint-funded it with AMC?

I think you replied before I added the bit about this into my post right before yours

It will be really freaking cool if the black and white Gene / Cinnabon sequence transitions to color via him putting on that red jacket

Oh good Lord.

I'm not one to get too excited about stuff these days.

But crikey. This gave me shivers.

I honestly can't decide if I'm more excited to find out what happens next in the Gene timeline, or the main timeline. Holy hell.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

It will be really freaking cool if the black and white Gene / Cinnabon sequence transitions to color via him putting on that red jacket

Just started my series rewatch last night (in 4K this time) and that opening flash-forward was even more gorgeous than I remembered. Brilliant cinematography!

One subtle detail I don't remember noticing: when Gene puts on the VHS tape of old Saul Goodman commercials, it reflects in his glasses in colour. Quite a striking image when in motion.

vlcsnap-2022-03-11-01h20m39s144.jpg

I don't remember colour in the other 4 flash-forwards but it's clearly symbolic of Gene's old life as Saul, painting his new life as monochromatic without Saul's presence.

I suspect the colour motif will play a key role in the remaining flash-forwards, eventually transitioning to colour (maybe that will comprise the entire finale, who knows!)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I honestly can't decide if I'm more excited to find out what happens next in the Gene timeline, or the main timeline. Holy hell.

Well, we pretty much know what happened , so I'm more intrigued by the present Gene.

Well, I think I'll stay away from the trailer! Rewatching the show makes me hyped enough already.

The Cinnabon sequences are a genius contrast to the fun show where you follow Jimmy and share in his passions, highs and lows, watch his conquests, interested to know how he gets to his BB point where Saul seems generally content enough; they pull you back and remind you it will all come crumbling down and disappear completely because of Walt's stupidity and ego, really helping you share in Gene's frustrations and depression too.

And basing it in a different circle/environment really helps it escape Prequelitis, too: we only know the fates of the two mainest of main characters, no idea where the rest will go!

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Well, I think I'll stay away from the trailer! Rewatching the show makes me hyped enough already.

Me too - the poster has me excited enough! I don't need a trailer to sell this to me (and spoil things unnecessarily) - I'm in regardless.

The thing the makes the poster so intriguing is it isn't suggesting "this is when Jimmy becomes Saul" but rather "Gene returns to being Saul".

6 hours ago, Holko said:

And basing it in a different circle/environment really helps it escape Prequelitis, too: we only know the fates of the two mainest of main characters, no idea where the rest will go!

We only know the fate of Mike, no? We don't know Jimmy's ultimate fate yet. Or are you referring to Gus?

In the main timeline, we only know what's in store for Jimmy, Mike, and Gus by the time the show catches up the Breaking Bad timeline.  Kim, Howard, Nacho, and Lalo are total wildcards that anything can happen to.

Even in the post-Breaking Bad / Gene timeline, any of those 3 potentially still be alive then, too, potentially.

And yea, when I first saw the poster, it didn't even register to me that we were seeing the Gene mustache; In that initial quick viewing, I already thought it was cool seeing Jimmy put on something flashy.  Then I realized it was Gene and why it was B&W -- and I LOVE that they are leading the marketing with an image from that timeline!

I will not watch the trailer untill I've finished my walkthrough of the series up to this point on Netflix. But I have to say -- it moves VERY fast. The show is so addictive, I struggle to turn it off, even if I've seen it once before. Currently at S03E06. Easy-peasy to finish before April 18.

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

The show is so addictive, I struggle to turn it off

Precisely why I'm against doing another run-through. I won't get anything done!

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

What are you talking about? The season 2 poster seems to be Saul crossing a street, skewed angle.

Look in the background of that street!

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

What are you talking about? The season 2 poster seems to be Saul crossing a street, skewed angle.

Use your eyes my friend

Well, that was quick. Took me 9 days to finish my rewatch of BBS. And still one whole month to go before the new season premieres. Got immediate withdrawal symptoms once again.