Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Some shots from filming that happened at the Hawaii convention center:

10288758_730391987005315_700683622918933

10314502_730451316999382_186951487621965

10152675_730451356999378_440735307195363

But it is THESE two images below that are telling of what this walled/green screened set is being used for:

1907953_730451836999330_4553664740464678

10269582_730391927005321_558546848114372

That's right. MONORAIL. Do I smell an awesome action sequence that could come out of a monorail being in the film? I guess this idea was still retained from that old concept art.

Even with filming, set photos, and exclusive BTS photos... still can't believe this is happening.

I know exactly what you mean.

I'm keeping my expectations reasonably low...but damn, it'll be awesome if this film really works.

Even with filming, set photos, and exclusive BTS photos... still can't believe this is happening.

I know exactly what you mean.

I'm keeping my expectations reasonably low...but damn, it'll be awesome if this film really works.

I'm cautiously excited for this movie. The studio pushed the film back a year to allow Trevorrow and his co-writer to finalize the script and do proper pre-production, instead of barreling full steam ahead to make a release date. It's not like Jurassic Park 3 where they began filming without a finished script. And seeing as how Spielberg and Frank Marshall signed off on it, I think they knew Trevorrow had something that works.

Plus the new cast will help alleviate the baggage from the previous two films.

Okay guys, here is the FULL article from Empire with some more details. It's a big pic so I'll just link it instead of it being imbed. It does contain mild spoilers in a way like the online article did, so be warned.

http://i.imgur.com/DkiGggL.jpg

Some new slightly spoilery details that stood out to me:

- When asked about the film being focused on a fully operational park, he said he doesn't "want to answer because I don't want to lie. In an attempt to shield the audience from having too many surprises ruined [filmmakers] have started to be dishonest with our audiences, and I don't want to be part of that." Which could mean a couple things... it could really just mean he doesn't want to say either way because he still wants it as a secret (for whatever reason... even though most of us know from concept art and etc that is what is going on), or maybe it really isn't FOCUSED on a park? Maybe the movie really goes off to other places, too? It could be taken either way.

- We are back on Nublar.

- "Yes, we have a big, bad new dinosaur but that dinosaur is the result of not just man's hubris but man's curiosity and desire to entertain." So this new dinosaur is some genetic experiment gone out of hand, apparently. Could either be a totally new dinosaur or just a mutated dinosaur from one we have seen already. Hmmm...

- Dr. Wu is a "crucial role". Colin knows the book well. Wu "sees himself as the hero and thinks this is all a great idea. You'll have to decide if that makes him a hero or villain."

And a couple not so spoilery that were interesting, too:

- "Something we've observed in the past 22 years, is that a bad idea will be repeated if there is money to be made."

- When talking about the essentials of a good Jurassic Park film, Colin said that, "Jurassic Park allowed the audience to enter the story with a sense of awe and wonder, and then be plunged into terror. The Lost World was a mysterious-island film and they knew they were going to a foggy, rainy place with any number of terrors. It made it more difficult to have humor. Jurassic Park is a very funny movie. I think that's why you get scared. Ten, 15 minutes ago we are all laughing having a nice piece of fish, talking about science, and now suddenly we're going to die. I think we've lucked out in the chronology of these films. We're going to have something in this film we haven't had since the first." Notice he said not one word about JP3. ;)

- "We're actually building more practical sets on this film than I know have been built on a film in a long time. And we're going to use animatronic dinosaurs. We're doing things that make it feel like a real world that you can touch, feel and be a part of. That was very important to me." All good things to hear... and didn't he sound a bit like Hammond at the end of that? Haha.

Some other details had already been mentioned in the online blurb of the article already discussed. What are your thoughts on this new info? (Remember to use spoiler tags for responses of spoilery items).

I hope they don't start creating their own genetically engineered monsters or something, as possibly suggested by the article. I would prefer that they use dinosaurs that actually existed. It's what makes it special, in a certain way.

Honestly never thought it would get made.

Me neither. When I heard about Universal securing Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver to pen the latest draft, I perked up but thought "it's going to go on Spielberg's garbage heap." Colin Trevorrow is an interesting director to pick... either he's going to make this film a home run or not.

I can't wait until Universal releases the first trailer for this.

I hope they don't start creating their own genetically engineered monsters or something, as possibly suggested by the article.  I would prefer that they use dinosaurs that actually existed.  It's what makes it special, in a certain way. 

You can make the argument, as others have done, that since InGen used frog DNA to fill in the genetic gaps, the dinosaurs are already customized monsters instead of authentically recreated animals. Granted, they didn't graft a Trike head onto an Allosaurus body and give it wings, though that would be neat.

But think about it. Each mosquito has a slurry of mixed blood in its belly, each from however many animals it drank from on the day it died. Some were dinosaurs, but which ones? What if it also drank from a frog, turtle, and proto rat in the process? That's a royally mixed-up blood soup, and for the dinosaurs, it's going to take many iterations to distill them into their original undiluted species. It's possible that some of these rough drafts survived.

Honestly never thought it would get made.

Me neither. When I heard about Universal securing Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver to pen the latest draft, I perked up but thought "it's going to go on Spielberg's garbage heap." Colin Trevorrow is an interesting director to pick... either he's going to make this film a home run or not.

I can't wait until Universal releases the first trailer for this.

What's promising about Treverrow is that he isn't a big blockbuster director. He's no J. J. Abrams or Jon Favreau. Although this is a money-maker of a series, I think there's at least some chance that he'll create a somewhat smart film that will also generate a huge profit. I like his casting choices, as well. He's obviously not going for the big names that generate box office revenue.

While I wish the score would be done by John Williams, I'm sure it won't. I'm hoping for a lush, LOST WORLD-esque score, rather than synthy action music trash.

I hope they don't start creating their own genetically engineered monsters or something, as possibly suggested by the article. I would prefer that they use dinosaurs that actually existed. It's what makes it special, in a certain way.

You can make the argument, as others have done, that since InGen used frog DNA to fill in the genetic gaps, the dinosaurs are already customized monsters instead of authentically recreated animals. Granted, they didn't graft a Trike head onto an Allosaurus body and give it wings, though that would be neat.

But think about it. Each mosquito has a slurry of mixed blood in its belly, each from however many animals it drank from on the day it died. Some were dinosaurs, but which ones? What if it also drank from a frog, turtle, and proto rat in the process? That's a royally mixed-up blood soup, and for the dinosaurs, it's going to take many iterations to distill them into their original undiluted species. It's possible that some of these rough drafts survived.

True, but the movies thus far haven't really presented anything out of the ordinary in terms of the dinosaurs they've chosen. They look like normal dinosaurs, or at least play into our imaginations of what they look like. My fear is that they'll introduce something crazy that just seems out of place. Like the Winged Alloceratops you mentioned ;)

I understand that you have to change it up a little, but there was a certain charm that is perfectly embodied by Grant in the first film when he points at a Brachiosaurus in disbelief and says, "It's a dinosaur". It wouldn't have been the same if he was like, "What the fuck is that?!"

I was careful to point out that the hybrid monsters would be rough drafts. Rough drafts are usually off limits to the public.

If Wu is the mad scientist hellbent on legacy that he could be, then modified dinos would be one ticket. Although now that armies have seen these dinosaurs, the monster could be a custom order for a military. After all, paleontologists like to speculate that if the extinction hadn't happened, Troodon was on the path to sentience. Granted, sentient dinos would be corny (Doctor Who, Land of the Lost), but no cornier than talking feathered raptors.

Looks can be deceiving. They can make anything look good, and with Jurassic Park it's pretty simple. They've done it quite easily at the Universal theme parks. All you really need is some tropical trees, fences, equipment and dinosaurs.

Two bits of news. For one, another pic of the monorail station set was taken that focused on something interesting that could be spotted in the background:

10155625_622718864482787_551240309547668

Notice the JW logo and below that... it appears to be part of a map. Does it resemble this one?

10277660_10152142714508892_8803751945994

Now, for some bigger news... although Colin did tweet that JW would have "no feathers" on its dinosaurs over a year ago, some people thought that it may have changed after the rewrites, change of heart, etc. Well, this picture I snapped from a brand new issue of 3D World magazine still stands by the "no feathers" stance for the film.

BmLEKQxCYAEtMH4.png

I know some people may have wished for what many scientists would call more "accurate" dinosaurs (I still am not convinced, as are actually some paleontologists), but I am glad they are sticking to the same featherless look that they have had before (and hopefully won't hang onto those silly quills the male raptors had in JP3). Having them still with no feathers can even be brought up in the film, since we already know Dr. Wu is part of the story. It's clear that they want the dinosaurs to be the way the public wants to see them.

Also, I still wonder what that one scary dinosaur is. Apparently the "scariest dinosaur ever".

Hell no, lol! No George Lucasing the film, thank you. ;)

While clearly some dinosaurs had feather impressions based on fossil evidence, I think a lot of paleontologists got carried away in assuming then that all of these bipedal dinosaurs had feathers, mostly. I mean, we've been unearthing these things for over a hundred years now, and in what, the last 2 decades or less we finally just now starts seeing some impressions? What about all of those other fossils of raptors that didn't have them? Maybe I'm missing something... or maybe they are.

Which could very well be a key point of why they don't have them in this movie. In the novel Dr. Wu wants to try to actually make the dinosaurs more like how the public wants to see them, but Hammond refuses wanting them to be "real". Which Wu explains to Hammond further that they already aren't real because of the modifications they had to do to the DNA just to make them. I think based on what Colin has said about Wu being in the film that Wu will probably get more of what he wants this time... and most likely go too far in some way.

As for me not believing all dinosaurs like raptors had feathers, it isn't because that's how I want them to be. It's because there to me is NOT enough overwhelming evidence for the reasons I already said. If they had a good answer as to why the previously unearthed raptor fossils in almost the last 100 years didn't have any signs of feather impressions, and other evidence, then I'll gladly be convinced.

Colin did tweet that JW would have "no feathers"

Seriously, we've got to stop using that acronym for the film! It took me some time to understand you were not referring to our beloved composer! At first, I was like: "Is that an American expression? Does "To have no feathers" mean "He'll be allowed to do whatever he wants with the score"?"

Seriously, call it JurassicW or JWorld, or whatever, but not JW! JW is an acronym property of the one and only John Williams!

JuWo!

Hell no, lol! No George Lucasing the film, thank you. ;)

While clearly some dinosaurs had feather impressions based on fossil evidence, I think a lot of paleontologists got carried away in assuming then that all of these bipedal dinosaurs had feathers, mostly. I mean, we've been unearthing these things for over a hundred years now, and in what, the last 2 decades or less we finally just now starts seeing some impressions? What about all of those other fossils of raptors that didn't have them? Maybe I'm missing something... or maybe they are.

You are missing that only very few fossil localities have the right sedimentary rock / former depositional environment to preserve feathers (most of these are in China... and western and Chinese paleontologist did not really communicate until a few decades ago). We did have Solnhofen in Germany, though (think of the bird-like dinosaur Archaeopteryx...) and should have expected this. Some raptor fossils also show modifications of the front limb bones, indicating the insertion of large feathers there even though there are no feather impressions due to the locality type, btw. Get over it Der, THEY HAD FEATHERS! :znaika:;)

I wonder how many poor innocent souls stumbled upon JWfan thinking it was a Jurassic World fan site.

"What's with all of these fucking quote threads? Only one relevant news thread? Who am I? MOM!!!"