Has getting the Expanded/Complete editions of film scores significantly changed your opinions about them?

Josh500

Either for the better or the worse.

I'm especially interested to hear what you thought after you got Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Superman, Empire of the Sun, Hook, 1941, and A.I.

As for me, I almost always start appreciating a score a lot more after listening to the OFFICIAL expanded release. An expanded unofficial bootleg, curiously enough, rarely does have as big an effect on me...

I don't recall a time when hearing an expanded score lessened my opinion about it.

Well, I guess the question is, has it gotten significantly better, though?

For RotS and KotCS it makes a big difference

Still waiting for the official releases. Hopefully from LLL. The more I think about it, the harder the waiting gets...

I don't recall a time when hearing an expanded score lessened my opinion about it.

Well, I guess the question is, has it gotten significantly better, though?

Almost every time. Sometimes it's more of the same, but in most instances I have felt that hearing additional music, especially in cue order, has improved the experience. A lot of that has to do with the functionality of the music itself; what it was created for. A complete (or near complete) musical story is now available to us. And especially with Williams, the quality of the music is astounding and can be appreciated on several levels.

A.I. is probably the most jarring example I can think of. I loved the score already, but now it's like a whole new experience.

I guess 90's Goldsmith albums seem to be major candidates for significant opinion changers once they get deluxed. Sharky & TGP excepted, of course...

For me I can tell I am more tempted to purchase a complete or expanded score than an original release. I am very much considering buying Jaws 3 (I used to watch it with my brother when I was little) on the intrada website and I doubt I would even consider it if it had 9 or 10 tracks.

I guess 90's Goldsmith albums seem to be major candidates for significant opinion changers once they get deluxed. Sharky & TGP excepted, of course...

Give me some to explore. I'm willing.

You cheap bastard!

I think one of the great and rather unappreciated things about these deluxe editions, if they are well done, is the fact that they help you lose so many distractions. Said distractions being, for example: "So many of my favorite cues are missing!" or "The tracks are not in the right order!" or "The sound quality is not the best!" etc.

You are allowed to fully concentrate on the music itself, and just the music, without any annoying distractions.

I think we'll get at least 70 minutes.

But I don't care. I'll happily wait 10 years if that's what it takes. Until then, other expanded releases see the light of day.

You are allowed to fully concentrate on the music itself, and just the music, without any annoying distractions.

A lot of additional film-related cues with little intrinsic musical value ARE an annoying distraction. Anal-retentive film lovers just lose sight of this fact.

I think it's your use of the word "change" that might be throwing people off. It implies a reversing of one's opinion, rather than a deepening of it. I would think it'll pretty rare that someone who likes a score will suddenly be turned off toward it once they hear an extended release. On the contrary—most of us pick up extended releases for scores we already love, and it just gives us more to love. (I don't often spend the money to get more of a score I don't care for to begin with.)

So I've certainly had my appreciation for scores grow significantly after hearing an extended release. The best example has to be that first 4-CD set of the Star Wars scores that came out in '96. I already loved all three, but I was in heaven once I got to listen to two or three times as much music from them. Same with the Indy scores, and while Hook had an original release of pretty decent length (compared to many others at the time), the special editions—including the Concorde, though that was diminished by the quality—made it even better.

I think one of the great and rather unappreciated things about these deluxe editions, if they are well done, is the fact that they help you lose so many distractions. Said distractions being, for example: "So many of my favorite cues are missing!" or "The tracks are not in the right order!" or "The sound quality is not the best!" etc.

I completely agree with this. It tends to eliminate 80%-90% of the "downer" elements common to so many OSTs.

Yes for me. A lot of good material was left off the Star Trek scores as well as stuff like Independence Day, Back To The Future, etc... having the expanded/complete versions has helped me like a lot of these scores more that weren't that great with their OST releases.

Not entirely sure about that. Several expansions seem to show that while he often left significant material off his albums, they were usually still very well assembled (much better than many Williams releases, in my opinion). Though there are of course a lot that do gain a lot in expanded versions, including cases like First Knight where major themes were absent on the original release.

On the other hand, perhaps my number one score that got improved by expansion is also a Goldsmith: Star Trek V.

But in many, or perhaps even most, cases, those scores for which I had most eagerly awaited an expansion were scores that I was already very familiar with in full from the films (except for dropped cues, obviously). In these cases, the expanded release was not so much a game changer as simply a necessity, and it's hard to remember how I perceived the full score when I first became aware of it.

For me I can tell I am more tempted to purchase a complete or expanded score than an original release.

Of course. For many of the remaining gaps in my collection, I prefer to wait for a new release these days instead of picking up the original album (except if I can find it used, but even then I tend to skip those that seem likely candidates for an upcoming expansion).

You cheap bastard!

I meant suggestions, not actual discs!

For RotS and KotCS it makes a big difference

For Sith, absolutely. The last hour of that score is basically an epic finale of wall-to-wall pure Williams bliss as far as I'm concerned, beginning around the point where Anakin turns to the dark side and continuing all the way to the end credits. It captures it all musically, even if the film didn't deliver. KOTCS is just boring, unfortunately, a reflection of the film itself. He didn't do anything to improve it with the score.

I can't think of any score that getting the full release of it has lessened my opinion, but I wish Die Hard with a Vengeance had been handled better. Getting a bootleg of Air Force One completely changed my opinion of that score though; the Radek material is some of the best Goldsmith ever wrote (although I previously was operating under the false understanding that McNeely handled the choral music) and it was almost completely absent from the official release. Fan edits of Revenge of the Sith improved my opinion of that as well, but not as drastically. Instead of from "meh" to "Damn this is good," Revenge of the Sith went from "wow, this is excellent" to "wow, this is my all-time favorite film score."

I can't think of any score that getting the full release of it has lessened my opinion, but I wish Die Hard with a Vengeance had been handled better. Getting a bootleg of Air Force One completely changed my opinion of that score though; the Radek material is some of the best Goldsmith ever wrote (although I previously was operating under the false understanding that McNeely handled the choral music) and it was almost completely absent from the official release. Fan edits of Revenge of the Sith improved my opinion of that as well, but not as drastically. Instead of from "meh" to "Damn this is good," Revenge of the Sith went from "wow, this is excellent" to "wow, this is my all-time favorite film score."

Same thing can be said about AOTC. Honestly hearing (at least my version) an expanded edit has made me appreciate the score even more. A lot of good material left out and hopefully one day we'll get the intended Prequel scores.

Give me some to explore.  I'm willing.

You cheap bastard!

I meant suggestions, not actual discs!

Knowing your love for vaguely medieval/clerical music i suggest Georges Delerue, A WALK WITH LOVE AND DEATH.

I think it's your use of the word "change" that might be throwing people off. It implies a reversing of one's opinion, rather than a deepening of it. I would think it'll pretty rare that someone who likes a score will suddenly be turned off toward it once they hear an extended release. On the contrarymost of us pick up extended releases for scores we already love, and it just gives us more to love. (I don't often spend the money to get more of a score I don't care for to begin with.)

It's tempting to want to read between the lines and reinterpret what you think they might have meant to say, rather than what they actually said.

I took his words at face value and went searching for scores that I didn't think much of in their OST presentation, but the expanded version completely turned around my perception of it.

I'm at a loss for examples however.

Well, like I said, change for the better or the worse.

You already like a score, but additional music made you appreciate it even more, or you were disappointed by the expanded release, which made you slightly lose respect for the entire score.

I guess anything's possible... although yeah, the former is more likely to happen than the latter.

Either for the better or the worse.

I'm especially interested to hear what you thought after you got Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Superman, Empire of the Sun, Hook, 1941, and A.I.

As for me, I almost always start appreciating a score a lot more after listening to the OFFICIAL expanded release. An expanded unofficial bootleg, curiously enough, rarely does have as big an effect on me...

Star Wars: the OT, yes definitely ! The only way I listen to them is the full complete experience. Of the prequels I only like TPM in its complete form.

Indiana Jones: Raiders, Doom, Crusade, all excellent expansions IMO. Crystal Skull is a half hour too long.

Jaws: I've never been its biggest fan and I don't particularly need it expanded. I only have the McNeely recording.

Superman: one disc was never enough for the epic scope of Superman's music. It needs 2 discs, as presented on the FSM edition.

Empire of the Sun: don't have that one expanded. The original album is fine, and I don't intend to get the new one.

Hook: well the way LLL put it out, it's far from perfect. But there have been attempts (fan edits) to make it perfect. So yes complete is the best.

1941: don't have anything, except from the theme, on a compilation or two.

A.I. don't have it (yet). Not sure if it would be a huge improvement on the perfectly stunning 70 minute album I already own.

In short, most of the time I buy expansions if I need the unreleased music, or just to have more of a good thing. But I don't necessarily need to have everything expanded. Not even from my fave composers.

The LLL versions of Empire of the Sun and AI are definitely worth your hard earned money, you will like those releases a lot. They are nothing like their Hook release.

Agreed!

A.I. is arguably the best Complete Edition yet. 3 CDs no less. LLL did everything right on this one.

Let's hope future JW LLL releases get the same treatment, especially Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels, Jurassic Park and The Lost World.

Jaws: I've never been its biggest fan and I don't particularly need it expanded. I only have the McNeely recording.

It's not that easy, I think. The album is missing some great material, but the full score has several cues (like Promenade and the fugue) that Williams either fleshed out for the album or shorted for the album - it actually sounds to me like he wrote them in full and then trimmed them to fit the movie, but whatever their genesis, they're much better in their album versions. So both the score and album recordings are essential.

These instances where the album is a new recording, usually of edited material and sometimes with a different orchestra, are special cases anyway. The Fury is far superiour in its album version, even though the film recording is worthwhile for a few extra tracks. Goldsmith's Capricorn One is much better, sound and performance wise, in its album recording, and even flows better that way. I also prefer the album recording of Damien: Omen 2.

I forgot about this but I have the 2000 anniversary edition of Jaws too, but I never listen to it anymore. Like I said I understand the score's classic status but any of the albums don't even enter my top 15 Williams. The theme however is top 10 material.

The Fury is far superior in its album version, even though the film recording is worthwhile for a few extra tracks.

Yes!

A.I. is arguably the best Complete Edition yet. 3 CDs no less. LLL did everything right on this one.

Let's hope future JW LLL releases get the same treatment, especially Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels, Jurassic Park and The Lost World.

YES!

The OST is a top 5 release!

YES!!!