The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

So which theme serves as the finale for TFA? So far we've had:

• The Emperor's Theme
  • Imperial March/Across the Stars
  • Leia's Theme/The Force Theme
  • The Force Theme
  • The Force Theme/Han Solo & The Princess
  • Ewok Celebration (a theme that only appears in the finale... in both versions).
Force Theme seems the obvious choice but I'd love it to be a rousing, romantic rendition of one of his new themes. The finale cue of all 6 films is usually the highlight for any Williams' Star Wars score (well... except that Naboo Municipal Band... thing). He single handedly salvaged the climax for AOTC and, although mostly unreleased, his final suite of themes for ROTS is easily the strongest emotional climax for the saga.

Fixed.

there are tons of scenes from the trailer, which i'm really excited to hear what williams has don with them. The dogfights, the first order march, the duel between finn and kylo ren. I'm hoping we're gonna be in for a treat.

there are tons of scenes from the trailer, which i'm really excited to hear what williams has don with them. The dogfights, the first order march, the duel between finn and kylo ren. I'm hoping we're gonna be in for a treat.

I think I'm most excited for the Jakku section. First of all just that excitement of being back in the Star Wars universe, and all those slow establishing shots that we've seen of the desert landscapes, Rey's loneliness, Finn's disorientation. In regards to Romao's worry earlier about meeting the two characters before they meet each other and how that'll affect the storytelling, I'm hoping that the fact that they'll be alone wandering around with nobody to talk to means that it will give Williams a nice opportunity to stretch his legs before the story proper kicks in. Establishing atmosphere, introducing new themes.

Just the idea of getting to know the new characters with the music guiding us along, all culminating in the first major setpiece with the Falcon and John Williams kicking some ass! :D

I think I'm most excited for the Jakku section. First of all just that excitement of being back in the Star Wars universe, and all those slow establishing shots that we've seen of the desert landscapes, Rey's loneliness, Finn's disorientation. In regards to Romao's worry earlier about meeting the two characters before they meet each other and how that'll affect the storytelling, I'm hoping that the fact that they'll be alone wandering around with nobody to talk to means that it will give Williams a nice opportunity to stretch his legs before the story proper kicks in. Establishing atmosphere, introducing new themes.

Just the idea of getting to know the new characters with the music guiding us along, all culminating in the first major setpiece with the Falcon and John Williams kicking some ass! :D

Good point. That actually makes me much more excited for the mostly slowly paced opening of the film. Hopefully Williams will give each of the lead trio (or fourio, depending on Poe's importance) their own thematic identities to develop over that time.

I've had several night-terrors about the Falcon chase being heavily scored with existing music like "The Asteroid Chase" and "Tie-Fighter Attack".

Did Gloria Cheng lend her hands for this score?

Taking a stab in the dark here based purely on the trailer and film's opening act, but I reckon Rey's Theme will be primarily piano driven. Would suit the isolation and emotion of her character perfectly.

Would also be a refreshing addition to the Star Wars musical library, considering most themes are brass and strings driven.

No! I want Rey's Theme to sound as delicate as those piano notes in the new trailer!!!!!!11!!1

Those notes were delicate?

the duel between finn and kylo ren.

I doubt this duel will last long!

I hope they do it in the OT way with minimal movement and sword waving, like with Kenobi and Vader. That way it will have longer screen time. And if possible add slow motion to it.

I believe George's gentle and simple direction to his SW actors echoes in his ears when JW is writing the music: Faster, more intense.

I hope they do it in the OT way with minimal movement and sword waving, like with Kenobi and Vader. That way it will have longer screen time. And if possible add slow motion to it.

They just got to add bullet time cam to it as well!

They just got to add bullet time cam to it as well!

And lens flares to such extent we could not see the duellists. And Williams could create a hugely balletic sizzling piece of swashbuckling music to accompany those intense flares.

Yes those are pretty much obligatory in the contract when you hire a Hollywood orchestra to play anything with action in it.

I would be greatly surprised if there was a more prominent piano element in this score. None of the other six had one.

I would be greatly surprised if there was a more prominent piano element in this score. None of the other six had one.

I would be greatly surprised if the prequels had a choral element in the score. None of the original three had one.

I have a feeling this'll be an outstanding score. In the past, when JW has worked with someone other than say Spielberg/Lucas (and to some extent Columbus) he has produced some really good stuff. POA, Memoirs of a Geisha, Far and Away, even Jaws 2, they all contain some of my all time favourite JW moments.

I have a feeling this'll be an outstanding score. In the past, when JW has worked with someone other than say Spielberg/Lucas (and to some extent Columbus) he has produced some really good stuff. POA, Memoirs of a Geisha, Far and Away, even Jaws 2, they all contain some of my all time favourite JW moments.

Not to be Captain Negative but The Book Thief was nothing spectacular by JW's standards.

Although neither was the film, and Williams certainly did his best to elevate the material. The final few minutes were perfection, musically.

Not to be Captain Negative but The Book Thief was nothing spectacular by JW's standards.

Although neither was the film, and Williams certainly did his best to elevate the material. The final few minutes were perfection, musically.

I agree about "The Book Thief", but then again, it was one of those films that really didn't require or allow JW to write anything particularly spectacular. It was just a functional war drama score.

True that. Films like Azkaban certainly allow Williams the musical freedom to go bananas. Let's hope TFA allows him the same opportunity.

Frankly, considering the material he had to work with for the prequels, there's no excuse for him if TFA doesn't exceed them!

J.J's uses of music in the TREK films is pretty solid even if some of it was edited slightly, it's always mixed right. We should be confident going in that J.J. wouldn't have hindered Williams' own sensibilities when being free when writing.

It's clear that JJ's admiration and respect for Williams, as told at various press junkets, is high. I'm sure this will show through in the mixing as well.

Also, Williams has been working on this score for a long time. For all we know he has re-recorded new passes after the film has been re-edited. Perhaps to a degree, at least.

Williams had more time to write and record this score than Giacchino did for either Star Trek film by a huge margin. Possibly even more time than both of those put together!

Williams had more time to write and record this score than Giacchino did for either Star Trek film by a huge margin. Possibly even more time than both of those put together!

This makes me even more excited

Sometimes lots of time doesn't necessarily render a composer's best work. There's a lot of truth in the aphorism attributed to Leonard Bernstein "To achieve great things, you need a plan and not quite enough time". Two examples I can think of are Horner on Avatar and Williams on Tintin. Both were good scores but certainly not either composer's best work by a long shot, at least in my view.

Sometimes lots of time doesn't necessarily render a composer's best work.

True.

And sometimes, being short on time can bring out the best in composers. Case in point, JNH's King Kong.

Great example. I loved the two little scoring video diaries during the production. JNH had such a ridiculously short schedule where he'd sleep a couple of hours a night, produced an almost unimaginable amount of music for a massive film, and turned in one of the best scores he's ever likely to write.