The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

It might be more likely that JJ copies the ESB model as far as music; ask JW to score the movie pretty much wall-to-wall then just dial out the music that doesn't work in the final mix.

I'm pretty sure that's the selfish approach everyone on here would take, especially with an 8-month writing/recording schedule for the score. :D

Perhaps we should wait for more accurate info on the release(s). It is only a couple of months before it comes out. Info will start trickling in soon.

The official Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens soundtrack store (redirected from the Disney Music link for more info on the OST) has a pre-order page up for the album. Interesting it says OST Standard/Deluxe Packaging 17.99 € and OST Standard 13.99€ as options.

Looks like we might be in for some fold-out posters, stickers, collectible cards, more movie stills in the booklet and no additional music based on that "Deluxe Packaging" wording. But who knows.

How long were the scores in J.J. Abrams' previous films?

JJ had MG compose a lot of score for all four of his previous films, though some gets dialed out in the final cut in every film.

Super 8 is the shortest score - the OST actually contained the complete score already, minus alternates and some unused cues we found out about later.

But MI3 and both Star Trek scores are over 2 hours long with plenty of alternates, and STID even had two concert arrangements (6+ minutes each!)

So I'd expect a lot of music to be written for SW7

I'm thinking the deluxe edition will have an exclusive second disc which will include music from Episodes I to VI, with rarities such as The Imperial March, Duel Of The Fates and Across The Stars.

Why waster precious disc space with those pieces on the second disc. Surely the different versions of the international trailer in all dubbed languages is more fitting accompaniment to the soundtrack release. Harry Potter did it. Why can't Star Wars?

Perhaps we should wait for more accurate info on the release(s). It is only a couple of months before it comes out. Info will start trickling in soon.

The official Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens soundtrack store (redirected from the Disney Music link for more info on the OST) has a pre-order page up for the album. Interesting it says OST Standard/Deluxe Packaging 17.99 € and OST Standard 13.99€ as options.

Looks like we might be in for some fold-out posters, stickers, collectible cards, more movie stills in the booklet and no additional music based on that "Deluxe Packaging" wording. But who knows.

It's interesting to note the definition "OST Standard" for both versions, as if to imply there's gonna be another one, maybe a "special edition". I guess we'll discover soon.

I take that more as there is the Standard OST which comes with Deluxe packaging and costs a bit more and then there is the regular OST with regular packaging and which is priced a bit lower. I think they have made the distiction to avoid the Deluxe version misunderstood as containing more music and mention specifically the packaging. But as you say we'll probably find the true distinction soon enough.

Has there been any word yet on a possible new Disney fanfare or Star Wars themed Disney logo at the start of the film?

Will Bad Robot get an opening logo as well?

Technically they're branding Star Wars differently to Marvel projects. They are considered a separate studio, but Disney/Lucasfilm is more in the vein of Disney/Pixar which all feature the logo.

Surely JJ understands the importance of that opening fanfare in B flat transitioning into the main title.

Really happy about the soundtrack release date info. Makes sense to tie it in with the movie release date (as per normal).

Also I really like the designs for the film we have seen thusfar. Much more OT vibe than the Prequels as they seem to have taken OT as the aesthetic starting point but naturally developed it into a new direction.

I'm getting more STAR TREK vibe than anything else.......

Really happy about the soundtrack release date info. Makes sense to tie it in with the movie release date (as per normal).

Also I really like the designs for the film we have seen thusfar. Much more OT vibe than the Prequels as they seem to have taken OT as the aesthetic starting point but naturally developed it into a new direction.

Well of course you are my curmudgeonly friend, of course you are.

Because it's better than everything.

• 4 weeks later...

Geez that'll be tough to convert into an OST cover. The composition of both poster versions is far too portrait and far too landscape respectively, for the square dimensions of a soundtrack cover.

Exactly. The landscape poster is probably ideal but will make the assortment of characters unrecognisably small.

The portrait poster would leave too much empty space on the sides.

I wonder if the actual OST cover will say "Music Composed and Conducted by John Williams" or just "Music By John Williams", since he didn't conduct it all. I know he didn't conduct all of Jurassic Park either, but that doesn't necessary mean the same practice will be followed on this production now than was with that production 22 years ago.