E.T. theme (the flying theme)

Force theme

Raiders march

Superman march

JP theme

Hedwig's Theme

Olympic Fanfare and theme

NBC news

The old Olympic fanfare is iconic, but that's not Williams. I doubt people would as readily recognize the Williams portion. The NBC news theme is something that people of older generations might know unconsciously, and would maybe recognize, but I also don't think it's a truly iconic Williams theme. E.T. and JP aren't necessarily as widely known as the others too.

But what about Finn's theme?

Only time will tell... I'm rooting more for The First Order March (Kylo Ren's Theme). :)

I would have imagined you rooting for Finn above anything else!

Oh yeah I am, but musically speaking I hope Williams will be able to write something that is as memorable as The Imperial March since he's already been responsible for such an abundance of classic hero-themes. But of course you're right: Finn all the way man..!

JW's true iconic themes known by the wide public are:

Jaws theme

Star Wars main title

Force theme

Raiders march

Superman march

JP theme

Hedwig's Theme

NBC news

The old Olympic fanfare is iconic, but that's not Williams. I doubt people would as readily recognize the Williams portion. The NBC news theme is something that people of older generations might know unconsciously, and would maybe recognize, but I also don't think it's a truly iconic Williams theme. E.T. and JP aren't necessarily as widely known as the others too.

I think they're still using Williams' theme for NBC News -- and not only the rerecorded version that Williams did in 2007, but also some new, "beefed up" versions.

Yes. But the people who watch NBC news are probably largely still the same who watched back then. TV news isn't exactly something that's catching on with younger generations, I think.

Yes. But the people who watch NBC news are probably largely still the same who watched back then. TV news isn't exactly something that's catching on with younger generations, I think.

And besides: the NBC News theme may be known to Americans, but outside of the US the music doesn't ring any bells. I would definately not place it alongside Star Wars, Jaws or The Raiders' March for that reason alone.

Let's face it... Williams has dominated every decade with his themes and music since the 70's.

Not the 00's!

I wouldn't say he "dominated" the 90s either, really. I tend to think of that as more James Horner or Alan Menken's.decade in popular terms, subjective as these things are.

But I get what he's saying, every decade he's had at least one theme or piece of music that really nails it. Would be cool for him to do it again, though it's almost cheating with Star Wars. ;) I think it would be even cooler if he could elevate another original movie i.e. non-sequel. The BFG awaits...

The whole notion of evaluating a theme due to its "iconic" nature is a bit odd. To be "iconic" necessarily means to be well known and thus is dependent on factors outside of musical quality. Beethoven's Ode to Joy is probably not well known to billions in the world due to a lack of a proper vehicle, but that says nothing about its musical quality. similarly, most non-Americans do not know the NBC mission theme and thus it is not "iconic," but who gives a damn, it is still a top-notch piece of music.

Beethoven's Ode to Joy is probably not well known to billions in the world due to a lack of a proper vehicle, but that says nothing about its musical quality.

"Ode to Joy" is quite popular with much of the world though.

Obviously this is such a vague notion, anyway. You can't even really base it on anything other than personal scattered memories of how often we've heard these things played and referenced (cue Blume with a collection of statistics?).

I think it comes from a desire to confirm that Williams' music is still relevant.

An urban theme for Finn would be very interesting. Something that has its roots in soulful American music from the 70s, or today's street or "gangsta" music. I'm just spitballing ideas here; I don't know anything about the character but somehow it seems right. Who's playing him again? Isn't he Asian? I don't really *see* color.

Nah, seriously, I'm very much looking forward to Finn's storyline and his theme. Already from a preview it looks like more interesting than anything in the past 35 years.

Karol

They're really trying to sell us Finn as being the new Jedi, but I just don't buy it. I'm 100% certain that Rey being the one who's Force-sensitive is supposed to be a surprise moment in the film. With a glorious choral rendition of her theme when this is revealed!

This isn't 1991, you know.

Karol

As soon as they showed Finn with the lightsaber in the tv commercials and then the poster, I figured it was classic misdirection.

They're really trying to sell us Finn as being the new Jedi, but I just don't buy it. I'm 100% certain that Rey being the one who's Force-sensitive is supposed to be a surprise moment in the film. With a glorious choral rendition of her theme when this is revealed!

This isn't 1991, you know.

Karol

Man now JW has to write a cue called "You Are the Finn".

As soon as they showed Finn with the lightsaber in the tv commercials and then the poster, I figured it was classic misdirection.

The true surprise would be if neither of them was Force-sensitive.

Karol

The only character we've seen use any force powers in the trailers is Kylo Ren, right? Even that was just him holding his hand out over Poe's head causing Poe pain

If anyone is interested in reading a lenghty and I predict fairly accurate plot synopsis -at least based on the leaked information so far- of The Force Awakens I think this is a great read:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQR6taehVh7MUdKLWdLRUx5eG8/view?pli=1

But --- MEGA SPOILER ALERT of course..! It does answer the question about who's Force sensitive and who's not.

JW's true iconic themes known by the wide public are:

Jaws theme

Star Wars main title

Force theme

Raiders march

Superman march

JP theme

Hedwig's Theme

NBC news

The old Olympic fanfare is iconic, but that's not Williams. I doubt people would as readily recognize the Williams portion.

Although Williams combined Leo Arnaud's "Bugler's Dream" with his own theme for the 1996 recording, the "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" that KM is referring to, composed and recorded for the 1984 games, is entirely Williams. But no it's not amongst Williams' "true iconic themes". And I don't think E.T. or JP belong in there either.

You are ALL mistaken.

The iconic themes of John Williams -or perhaps better 'most famous' themes- are:

Jaws Theme

Main Title from Star Wars

Rebel Fanfare from Star Wars

The Force Theme from Star Wars

Close Encounters Theme (5 note motif)

Superman Theme

The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back

The Raiders' March from Raiders Of The Lost Ark

The Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Jurassic Park Theme

Schindler's List Theme

Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

Somewhere In My Memory from Home Alone is close to it, but doesn't reach the heights of the above.