Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

When Chewbacca told Han that Luke had become a Jedi Knight, he dismissed it as delusions of grandeur. Once Luke succeeded in rescuing Han and all their friends from Jabba, Han's misconceptions about the Force and his little buddy's ability to control it had to have been erased.

It is a failure of Return of the Jedi to not make this more obvious.

I do like the development of Han Solo across the saga. He begins dismissive of Jedi and the Force because at the time he met Luke and Obi-Wan, the Force and Jedi had fallen out of general knowledge and appreciation in the galaxy. After barely a generation since the rise of the Empire, Darth Vader had seen to that.

Now, thirty years after Endor, the failure of the Rebellion is apparent: knowledge of Jedi and the Force has again stagnated. Han Solo is telling one of the new characters, "listen, Jedi, The Force, it's all real, don't make the same bad assumptions I made when I was barely your age."

When Chewbacca told Han that Luke had become a Jedi Knight, he dismissed it as delusions of grandeur. Once Luke succeeded in rescuing Han and all their friends from Jabba, Han's misconceptions about the Force and his little buddy's ability to control it had to have been erased.

It is a failure of Return of the Jedi to not make this more obvious.

I do like the development of Han Solo across the saga. He begins dismissive of Jedi and the Force because at the time he met Luke and Obi-Wan, the Force and Jedi had fallen out of general knowledge and appreciation in the galaxy. After barely a generation since the rise of the Empire, Darth Vader had seen to that.

Now, thirty years after Endor, the failure of the Rebellion is apparent: knowledge of Jedi and the Force has again stagnated. Han Solo is telling one of the new characters, "listen, Jedi, The Force, it's all real, don't make the same bad assumptions I made when I was barely your age."

A (quality) Wojo post.

There's no reason to think Han wouldn't have changed his ideals post-ROTJ, obviously.

I was responding to this post by Luke Skywalker, who claimed that Han should have already changed a lot by the end of ROTJ:

Hmmm, one would think that Han, having luke as his friend for 2-3 years, suffering torture at the hands of darth vader and after being successfully rescued from Jabba by Luke, already believed in the Force, the Jedi and the dark side by the end ROTJ for sure.

Han's lines in the trailer actually remind me of those of Spock in The Undiscovered Country. The last TOS film.

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

The Spock of the 1960's would never have said it, but it's totally believable and logical that the character would reach that conclusion decades later.

One thing I've always loved about the Star Wars movies (specially the original trilogy), is that all the characters, all the plot threads, all the situations, ultimately radiate from the same starting point. You don't get introduced to any character before that characters gets intertwined somehow or crosses paths with any of the previous characters that radiated from the same starting point. For example, you only meet Luke in ANH when he's trying to buy the droids that kicked off the story in the first place. I've always loved that.

However, as far as I can tell in TFA (and this pure speculation on my part from the information sugested by the trailers), it seems to me we might meet Rey and Finn separately before they actually meet one another. I hope this doesn't pan out. I'd really like for that story structure to be maintained in this trilogy

One thing I've always loved about the Star Wars movies (specially the original trilogy), is that all the characters, all the plot threads, all the situations, ultimately radiate from the same starting point. You don't get introduced to any character before that characters gets intertwined somehow or crosses paths with any of the previous characters that radiated from the same starting point. For example, you only meet Luke in ANH when he's trying to buy the droids that kicked off the story in the first place. I've always loved that.

However, as far as I can tell in TFA (and this pure speculation on my part from the information sugested by the trailers), it seems to me we might meet Rey and Finn separately before they actually meet one another. I hope this doesn't pan out. I'd really like for that story structure to be maintained in this trilogy

That's one of the things that was so annoying about the first Hobbit movie. All of a sudden it was cutting over to Radagast and we had no reason to care about who he was or why we were meeting him now. Up until then, we were introduced to each character one at a time as they met characters we were already following

But yea, the setup of Star Wars is great. Open with a battle, meet the bad guy in charge, then the woman he's chasing. She interacts with the droids; Luke's family buys the droids. Luke is attacked by Tusken Raiders; Obi-wan saves them. They need a pilot - they meet Han and Chewie. Etc.

Even in TESB we have all the characters together at the beginning, before Luke goes off to meet Yoda and Han&Leia go off and meet Lando.

Same with ROTJ, they're all together on Tattooine at the beginning, and then reunite for the briefing, before their three pronged attack

I think the prequels always stuck to this too?

But yea, the setup of Star Wars is great. Open with a battle, meet the bad guy in charge, then the woman he's chasing.

Actually Battle > Droids > Bad Guy.

But yea, the setup of Star Wars is great. Open with a battle, meet the bad guy in charge, then the woman he's chasing. She interacts with teh droids; Luke's family buys the droids. Luke is attacked by Tusken Raiders; Obi-wan saves them. They need a pilot - they meet Han and Chewie. Etc.

Even in TESB we have all the characters together at the beginning, before Luke goes off to meet Yoda and Han&Leia go off and meet Lando.

Same with ROTJ, they're all together on Tattooine at the beginning, and then reunite for the briefing, before their three pronged attack

I think the prequels always stuck to this too?

As far as I can tell, yes. And that is actually my biggest worry with TFA

LOTR is nice that way too, in that the Fellowship grows one by one until we have everyone at Rivendell, and even though Legolas and Boromir kind of randomly show up there, its at least for a reason (The Council of Elrond). The only cutaways are the flashbacks to the prologue battle as Gandalf reads the journal and Elrond tells more of the story. Then the whole fellowship is together until they break at the end

I think Finn and Rey will be presented separately, but once they'll meet, we'll only follow them together throughout the film, and we'll be introduced to Poe Dameron when they'll meet him, not before.

I think the opening of the movie will be a big battle between the First Order and The Resistance over Jakku, so we'll actually meet Poe and Finn first, during that battle. Then Rey will find crashed Finn after doing her scavenging thing, they'll team up together and then also be joined by Han & Chewie....Meanwhile we'll cut away to Poe until Finn and Poe meet again before the final battle, in that shot in the new trailer, where Finn looks confused to be seeing Poe for some reason (Shouldn't Poe be the confused one, seeing a former First Order TIE pilot now fighting for the Resistance?)

The thing is that JJ did just that with his first Star Trek. Spock and Kirk get introduced totally separately. I just don't like it. Makes it feel like the story is being told before there is a story to tell

There's no reason to think Han wouldn't have changed his ideals post-ROTJ, obviously.

I was responding to this post by Luke Skywalker, who claimed that Han should have already changed a lot by the end of ROTJ:

Hmmm, one would think that Han, having luke as his friend for 2-3 years, suffering torture at the hands of darth vader and after being successfully rescued from Jabba by Luke, already believed in the Force, the Jedi and the dark side by the end ROTJ for sure.

Was that an unlikely situation?

You dont have to be shown everything in their lives to asume some things...

Has anyone made a super-trailer yet, combining the footage from all three teasers + the extra stuff from TV commercials + the SDCC footage?

You don't fool me!

You wanna list and categorize all the released footage and speculate their chronological order and relevance to the plot!

Which is fun!

It you are severely authistic!

That kind of behavior is actually whats from with the geeky Internet fanboys these days.

By the time they go to the cinema they have memorized and categorized as much as they can. They know all the rumors, potential spoilers and instead of watching the film, they are analyzing it.

You are wrong. I have not been reading any spoilers, or following the production of the film at all, apart from the major things posted here (trailers, commercials, pictures in magazines).

I haven't been to a Star Wars website since the early 2000s.

I have no clue what the plot of the film is.

It you are severely authistic!

Look who's talking!

I'm not "severely" autistic. Just socially awkward

You are wrong. I have not been reading any spoilers, or following the production of the film at all, apart from the major things posted here (trailers, commercials, pictures in magazines).

I haven't been to a Star Wars website since the early 2000s.

I have no clue what the plot of the film is.

Dude....

You went to the cinema to see the BOT5A EE, listen all the new scenes live! And had a stopwatch running!

I mean, come on!

Got my Imax tickets for Friday 19th. I couldn't get any decent seats for the 18th (it opens a day earlier here in Portugal). This thing will be massive, pre sales are always insignificant over here