Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Jason said the trailer was too vague with conveying what this new movie is about but I thought the trailer hinted at that just fine. Do people really want a clear plot outline from trailers these days? Keep the mystery, I say.

Lee - also bemused as to why anyone would ever expect anything strikingly offbeat or different from any entry into this franchise.

George Lucas was one of the last true film auteurs. I don't think JJ can claim that same title!

I'm not claiming Abrams to be anything.

Let me give you my perspective on this. I was born in the mid-1980's. Star Wars wasn't part of my childhood. Not really. Not until SE came out. But, by then, it was already an old thing from another time. It's a film in this trilogy I watched the least and I haven't seen it in more than a decade. I just never really... like it? It's a tad boring actually. I can, however, completely understand why it means so much to an entire generation of people. And the history behind its creation is a milestone in cinema history, at least in terms of popular culture and movie business. But I don't really feel the need to think of it beyond being a "movie that got popular because it came out at the right time". For my generation, the closest thing would be probably Jurassic Park. And I do have some nostalgic attachment to that. But I don't want to mythologize and claim it to be anything.

Anyway, my point is all your claiming Star Wars to be anything special is just that --- your perspective and perception. And your generation's. I respect it as your own personal thing but don't agree with it. It's not an objective fact. It just isn't.

Why do I think George Lucas made Star Wars? To have a popular film for everyone to enjoy. Was he thinking it would garn much money? Not necessarily. Was he hoping for it? It would be naive to think he wasn't.

Karol

Jason said the trailer was too vague with conveying what this new movie is about but I thought the trailer hinted at that just fine. Do people really want a clear plot outline from trailers these days? Keep the mystery, I say.

Lee - also bemused as to why anyone would ever expect anything strikingly offbeat or different from any entry into this franchise.

Alas the trailers these days give out too much info on the movie, often containing stuff from pivotal moments you would like to be a surprise when you go and see a film.

I was born in '77 and Star Wars wasn't a part of my own childhood either, as some here seem to think it was almost as if by default. I didn't even watch Star Wars properly until I was 17, after purchasing a VHS boxset.

Indiana Jones and Superman were my childhood movies.

I didn't see Indiana Jones until I was 15. And that was 2000. I remember the Young Indy TV show. Superman would be the thing, too. But not Christopher Reeve film. I was reading comic books.

Karol

Having had a cup of coffee and watching the trailer a few times. It's a fine trailer.

It still doesnt give away much of anything. But that's hardly surprising considering JJ's obsession with secrecy.

The fact that they don't show Luke makes me hope that they have a truly splendid reveal in stall for him.

Interested by the fact that this time the main character is female. Daisy Ridley looks like she could be excellent.

This might very well be a fun, rip-roaring space adventure, with a healthy dollop of affection for the original trilogy.

And The Force Theme, even when pumped up like that, still gives me goose bumps.

I think I'll pre-order my cinema ticket now. I'm ready for this new era of Star Wars.

I was born in '77 and Star Wars wasn't a part of my own childhood either, as some here seem to think it was almost as if by default. I didn't even watch Star Wars properly until I was 17, after purchasing a VHS boxset.

Indiana Jones and Superman were my childhood movies.

I know I saw Star Wars on a Belgian channel with Dutch/French subtitles when I was a kid. But didnt really become interested in it untill my mid teens. I think I rented them out because John Williams had scored them.

I thought Star Wars was pretty good. But it wasnt really untill TESB that the franchise blew me away.

I did have an Ewok and a few other characters, I think from Jabba's palace, when I was a kid.

Alas the trailers these days give out too much info on the movie, often containing stuff from pivotal moments you would like to be a surprise when you go and see a film.

It's at an all time worst if you ask me. That's why I try to go in blind, because the payoff can be so much more satisfying. M. Knight Shyamalan's latest was better for it, most recently.

This latest trailer was actually quite refreshing in that regard. And then you have media harvesters like Jason LeBlanc who complain that a trailer isn't specific or clear enough. And my despair continues.

It's at an all time worst if you ask me. That's why I try to go in blind, because the payoff can be so much more satisfying. M. Knight Shyamalan's latest was better for it, most recently.

This latest trailer was actually quite refreshing in that regard. And then you have media harvesters like Jason LeBlanc who complain that a trailer isn't specific or clear enough. And my despair continues.

I agree with that too.

Karol

I find it interesting for The Force, the Jedi and Luke seem to be regarded as long forgotten myths. even though they happened only a few decades ago in the context of this film.

We already saw that in Star Wars 1977.

Many seem to overemphasize the importance of trailers. A good trailer is supposed to give you a whiff of what you will see when you choose to go to the cinema, but nothing more.

But essentially a trailer is a disposable item for me. I don't expect or require them to have any artistic merit. They are essentially an advert.

I find it interesting for The Force, the Jedi and Luke seem to be regarded as long forgotten myths. even though they happened only a few decades ago in the context of this film.

We already saw that in Star Wars 1977.

I know. But it wasnt untill the Prequels that that was really brought home.

Do you think that in episode 8 we'll get more muted colours, bounty hunters, love story, some variation on "attack/strike" in the title and unresolved story?

Karol

I already expressed my first impressions, Steef. Let me change the question somewhat, did you see something in the trailer that I should be excited about?

LIke I said in the other post deidcated to the music, the reason why we don't see Luke, a part from his supposedly arm on R2-D2, is because he maybe appears masked in the trailer.

My theroy is that he's one of the Ken Knights, maybe wearing a similar suit than Kylo Ren.

I have a feeling that Luke is leading the bad guys in this movie.

LIke I said in the other post deidcated to the music, the reason why we don't see Luke, a part from his supposedly arm on R2-D2, is because he always appears masked in the trailer.

My theroy is that he's one of the Ken Knights, maybe wearing a similar suit than Kylo Ren.

Nah

One thing to bear in mind is that this is the first movie in a new trilogy. So even if you think you know where's this one heading to, we don't how things will ultimately pan out

So, if Episode VII is to be a remake of Star Wars, does that mean Episode VIII will be a remake of ESB? Awesome!

You're too late for this joke!!

Do you think that in episode 8 we'll get more muted colours, bounty hunters, love story, some variation on "attack/strike" in the title and unresolved story?

Karol

And The Force Theme, even when pumped up like that, still gives me goose bumps.

Just watched the trailer.

That was one element that i didn't like.

That is, the arrangement of the theme in a way that all latest film music in action/sci-fi is arranged.