Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I just noticed all the 3D/Real 3D/IMAX 3D (???) crap at the bottom. They still do that? Was it made for any of those formats specifically? I was under the impression it was shot traditionally and meant to be viewed that way as well.

Hoping we find out info about why Struzan didn't do the final. I thought he mentioned in an interview he was going to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It actually kinda looks like those crappy desktop wallpapers that nerd would make years ago. That kinda looked like this:

ef69cf6d7-1.jpg

That's what I was thinking! I hate these crappy collage style posters that SW seems to attract. Fans make them, the studios make them. All characters, ships and objects must be included! SW has equal opportunity posters!

Godzilla had a better poster campaign than this!

GZLA_IMAXart_DOM_Blog_1000x1460.jpg

Godzilla-2014-Poster-701x1024.jpg

To be honest, regardless of how you feel about the movies, the prequels had far better promotional material.

Aside from the awkward teaser poster for AOTC where Anakin's lightsabre is positioned in a suggestive spot and the ROTS one where his cloak blows out in the shape of Vader's helmet.

The BB-8 sounds are fucking atrocious.

Aside from the awkward teaser poster for AOTC where Anakin's lightsabre is positioned in a suggestive spot and the ROTS one where his cloak blows out in the shape of Vader's helmet.

Yeah, it was obvious the lightsaber in the AOTC teaser was an afterthought and looked stupid. In the ROTS one, his cloak looked like Dark Helmet.

Are you joking?

trailers and tv spots have been using music not recorded specifically for the film itself since trailers were created. It's extremely rare for a trailer to feature score from the actual film - even a Star Wars film - than it is the other way around.

The music in those tv spots is clearly not what will be heard set to the same footage in the final trailer. For one thing, the spots share some of the same shots, edited together differently.

Now that you mention it I can sort of see it.

I've been meaning to make an edit of the Star Wars end titles that transitions into "Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas" from Home Alone 2.

I'm waiting for the conspiracy crowd to claim that the triangular composition of the artwork means the film has Illuminati influences.

This kind of sleek steadycam shot is something Lucas never did and I don't like it too much either. The visual lexicon of SW movies has always been very consistent throughout the six previous films--the kinetic camera movements were usually saved for big action set-pieces only, while the camera rarely moves too much around characters in dialogue or set-up scenes. Lucas (but also Kershner and Marquand) always used a very classical composition style and framing. It would be nice to see Abrams being consistent in his movie as well, but what do I know? I think it's gonna be a very different kind of Star Wars film, in terms of directing style.

So you want Abrams to stay within some pre-conceived canon with the camera movement and framing? I know the new film is relying on a lot of the nostalgia for its effect but can't he do his own thing for good or for evil? Next you will be demanding only swipe dissolves for scene transitions.

It's too classical for a modern action movie. BTW, I noticed that the static long shots in the prequels weren't always flattering for the actors. You could see them standing there not really knowing what pose to take on. Making the shots and editing more dynamic could solve a lot of that clumsiness.

It's too classical for modern action movie. I noticed that the static long shots in the prequels weren't always flattering for the actors. You could see them standing there not really knowing what pose to take on. Making the shots and editing more dynamic could solve a lot of that clumsiness.

Also Lucas' unimaginative set up of walking and talking in dialogue scenes is dull as hell and repeated ad nauseam. Can't fault the actors of feeling strange doing this silliness always in front of blue or green screens.

So you want Abrams to stay within some pre-conceived canon with the camera movement and framing? I know the new film is relying on a lot of the nostalgia for its effect but can't he do his own thing for good or for evil? Next you will be demanding only swipe dissolves for scene transitions.

Abrams can do whatever he wants, I don't care. I was just pointing out how this film will probably have a different visual/directing style, for good or bad. Surely they chose to "update" the visual classicism of the OT, as it probably feels too dated to modern audiences.

This kind of sleek steadycam shot is something Lucas never did and I don't like it too much either. The visual lexicon of SW movies has always been very consistent throughout the six previous films--the kinetic camera movements were usually saved for big action set-pieces only, while the camera rarely moves too much around characters in dialogue or set-up scenes. Lucas (but also Kershner and Marquand) always used a very classical composition style and framing. It would be nice to see Abrams being consistent in his movie as well, but what do I know? I think it's gonna be a very different kind of Star Wars film, in terms of directing style.

For me, the direction of Star Wars and the way it's shot is the most uninteresting thing about films. The first thing I welcome with this reboot is framing and movement which is hopefully more spirited and exciting than those old workman like efforts.

Abrams can do whatever he wants, I don't care. I was just pointing out how this film will probably have a different visual/directing style, for good or bad. Surely they chose to "update" the visual classicism of the OT, as it probably feels too dated to modern audiences.

Yes I am sure Abrams might have taken visual cue from the OT but I think it is pretty much given he'll handle the direction in his own more modern way which also might appeal to the modern audiences.

Abrams' Star Trek movies are very nervously paced. I wonder if he will do that for Star Wars too.

It will be the fitfully paced shaky cam ride of the century!

If he'll do that here, then we are in safe hands. Star Wars doesn't really require imaginative direction and sophistication of any sort. Trek needed to have some sort of proper s-f element in it. Which Abrams failed to deliver. Not so here. It's exactly that - an escapist action adventure fairy tale. If it's exciting, then it's good.

Karol