Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

They need to turn up the colors.

Like where? I'm seeing some pretty nice reds, oranges, greens, blues. Some of those shots, I don't think you could get more saturated within the boundaries of good taste (and even if you tried then people would of course start complaining about how it looks "too Disney"...)

Yeah, I quite like the look of the movie. If anything, it's more colorful than the original movies.

I do like the fact it still remains vague in terms of plot

Actually, I was referring to the plot. Is this Star Wars all over again? A new Darth Vader, a new Luke Skywalker, ...

Let's hope the is some kind of Abrams twist in there somewhere that turns the familiar setup on its head.

I like that it's a return to the old underdog protagonist becomes hero because Joseph Campbell stuff all over again.

I don't like the "Yes, the stories are all true ... Darth Vader, The Emperor, Luke Skywalker's herioc involvement, ... I was there and I saw it all." .

But he goes on to say "...all true...well except that part about jarjar. That was just a bad dream. Oh And that Midi-chlorians nonsense. Otherwise true..."

The plot will basically be a rehash of Episode IV, with elements of TESB thrown in to spice up the drama. The Campbell monomyth will surely be the paradigm used for the overall structure, but I fear it's gonna be just by-the-numbers approach, as in zillion of Hollywood films of the last 30 years.

Maybe it's time to call this film what really is: it's a remake (or reboot, as they say nowadays) disguised as a sequel. No surprise the subtitle "Episode VII" disappeared from any material related to the film.

It was a groundbreaking film in many departments.

In technical terms, yeah. But that's it.

Karol

You talk like Lucas simply came up with a formula. It doesn't work like that, sorry.

But Star Wars a rehash of a Kurosawa film, no?

Karol

There's more than just Hidden Fortress rehash in the first movie. Lucas used elements from MANY things, from Campbell to Kurosawa, going through space opera novels, Flash Gordon comic book, 1940s swashbucklers, war movies...

There's more than just Hidden Fortress rehash in the first movie. Lucas used elements from MANY things, from Campbell to Kurosawa, going through space opera novels, Flash Gordon comic book, 1940s swashbucklers, war movies...

Indeed, even the transition wipes were stolen!

My respect is diminishing again ...

Sure, but that's still classic fairy tale storytelling. Clearly, Lucas' experimenting with something else (trade taxation, political intrigue moral descent) didn't work that well. Why be angry about that now? Aren't we a bit too old to be disappointed with a plot of a Star Wars film? It was always the same old story wrapped in the new cutting edge packaging. Empire was probably as far as they could go to change that structure. But that's it.

I think the only way you can really judge it is how you tell this story, how it feels. The content itself was never going to be new. Just saying.

Would I like to see something completely new? Sure. But then, I probably wouldn't be looking for that in a Star Wars film. And certainly not after turning 30.

EDIT: For the record, I didn't really feel anything after watching this trailer. The only minor tingles I got were from watching the previous trailer. But that had more to do with the re-recorded music. I'm still not convinced.

Karol

But The Prequels moved away from the fairy tale elements. You seem all to willing to disregard that in order for your point to have any validity.

Lucas brought in midichlorians and killed the magic.

But The Prequels moved away from the fairy tale elements. You seem all to willing to disregard that in order for your point to have any validity.

I'm not. That's not what I'm talking about.

Karol

I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE ORIGINAL FILM!

Karol

Don't you go all Skyy38 on us with those capital letters. ;)

Lucas brought in midi-chlorians and killed the magic.

But it was the best thing about the Prequels according to the Nolanites. It's the very first commandment: Thou shalt explain what is behind the magic to make it more real.

Lucas brought in midi-chlorians and killed the magic.

But it was the best thing about the Prequels according to the Nolanites. It's the very first commandment: Thou shalt explain what is behind the magic to make it more real.

Which seems to be the complete opposite of the rule "explain the magic too much and it stops being magic".

Karol

Thats what I'm saying.

And don't you dare scream at my you fucking dough-eyed sack of shit!

Classy retort Stefan. Where did you go to repartee school again?

Karol

Thats what I'm saying.

And don't you dare scream at my you fucking dough-eyed sack of shit!

Its OK for JJ and Kasdan to do a remake of ANH because that film was influenced by The Hidden Fortress and Flash Gordon?

OK, again:

I don't see the point the point of being disappointed with the new film being a rehash of original SW. Because that film was already the same old story we've heard in other stories before that, just in a new packaging. And I also said that Lucas trying to introduce new elements in the prequels didn't work.

Maybe there's only just a limited amount of things you can do with a Star Wars film to be Star Wars? And maybe we should either accept that or move on.

Can't be any more clear than that.

Karol

They tried something different with the Star Wars Holiday Special. It turned out to be...well...special.

Sigh...

Doing what looks like a rehash of ANH points at a significant lack of ambition and inspiration on the part of Kennedy, JJ, Kasdan and Disney as a whole.

And you seem to be fine with that and use that fact that Lucas took inspiration from several sources when he did Star Wars as a justification.

Say what you want, but Lucas was NOT lacking ambition or inspiration when he made Star Wars.

I don't know. What kind of ambition are we talking about? Money making? He was making more ambitious films before that, to be honest. As misguided as they were.

Karol

Sigh...

Doing what looks like a rehash of ANH points at a significant lack of ambition and inspiration on the part of Kennedy, JJ, Kasdan and Disney as a whole.

And you seem to be fine with that and use that fact that Lucas took inspiration from several sources when he did Star Wars as a justification.

Say what you want, but Lucas was NOT lacking ambition or inspiration when he made Star Wars.

So you are resigned to believe this is going to be just pure rehash based on a couple of trailers and a poster? OK. Have it your way Mr Curmudgeon.

I am glad I am not too invested in this film but I'll wait until I see it to fully give my damning verdict.

I don't know. What kind of ambition are we talking about? Money making? He was making more ambitious films before that, to be honest. As misguided as they were.

Karol

You really think Lucas only made Star Wars because he wanted to make a buck?

Almost no one had any faith that the film would do anything more then moderate business.

You don't seem very aware of the history of the franchise.

So you are resigned to believe this is going to be just pure rehash based on a couple of trailers and a poster? OK. Have it your way Mr Curmudgeon.

I don't. I will go in with an open mind and hope for the best. Despite the face that JJ never made an original film in his life.

Karol

You really think Lucas only made Star Wars because he wanted to make a buck?

Almost no one had any faith that the film would do anything more then moderate business.

You don't seem very aware of the history of the franchise.

I was just asking you a question to which you didn't reply. What was this great ambition?

Karol

I don't. I will go in with an open mind and hope for the best. Despite the face that JJ never made an original film in his life.

I think you don't have to hold your breath for the new Star Wars film to be somehow original when the starting point is that it is going to feature the main members of the original cast, it is set in the same fairytale galaxy far far away and expectedly has to contain Star Wars-y elements to give the audience the feel that they are indeed watching a Star Wars movie and not a Star Trek movie or some other sci-fi/fantasy saga. Plot-wise it always a balancing act of giving a snippet of the old while striking out into new directions, especially when we have the "anchors" from the original trilogy linking it to the past. It is not going to be a story that is working in a vacuum but a continuum as they chose to approach the new films that way.

I find it interesting for The Force, the Jedi and Luke seem to be regarded as long forgotten myths. even though they happened only a few decades ago in the context of this film.

It's like Nixon's visit to China being an oral history carried over from generation to generation.

Also, it this the first time Han Solo has ever said the phrase "The Dark Side"?

I find it interesting for The Force, the Jedi and Luke seem to be regarded as long forgotten myths. even though they happened only a few decades ago in the context of this film.

It's like Nixon's visit to China being an oral history carried over from generation to generation.

Also, it this the first time Han Solo has ever said the phrase "The Dark Side"?

Yes the Star Wars timespans have always been baffling to me. From the shiny Prequels to the worn and lived in OT in 30 years and now the OT times have become legendary in mere 30 years. And one would assume they had more efficient galaxy wide commucation channels and chronicling devises than oral tradition.