Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

If he'll do that here, then we are in safe hands. Star Wars doesn't really require imaginative direction and sophistication of any sort. Trek needed to have some sort of proper s-f element in it. Which Abrams failed to deliver. Not so here. It's exactly that - an escapist action adventure fairy tale. If it's exciting, then it's good.

Karol

Whaaat?!!! Star Trek is not about fast paced chases and lightning fast action peppered with humour?

Abrams' Star Trek movies are very nervously paced. I wonder if he will do that for Star Wars too.

Those films were criticized for being too Star Wars, so I would expect for the "real thing" JJ will go all out!

Star Wars is very slow and atmospheric compared to JJ's ADHD trips. I always feel a bit sick after Star Trek.

I saw the first one two times, the second one I only watched once. I find them curiously entertaining but I feel very empty afterwards (not a good feeling). Star Wars (the good Star Wars, that is) was inspiring in comparison.

But is it really necessary to cheer and clap when the opening crawl blasts onto the screen? We don't know what awaits us afterward, it could suck! I remember a documentary included with Phantom Menace that showed clips from a premiere screening of that film. All the attendees were hooting and hollering and waving lightsabers when the film started. Little did they know what disappointment awaited!

Save your praise for when the movie ends!

Were people immediately disappointed upon seeing TPM or were they in denial and the prequel backlash took some time to develop?

I remember it seemed to be the release of the Plinkett reviews when people's confirmation bias kicked in and then it really became collective fan doctrine to let rip on the prequels.

But is it really necessary to cheer and clap when the opening crawl blasts onto the screen? We don't know what awaits us afterward, it could suck! I remember a documentary included with Phantom Menace that showed clips from a premiere screening of that film. All the attendees were hooting and hollering and waving lightsabers when the film started. Little did they know what disappointment awaited!

Save your praise for when the movie ends!

I don't have a huge problem with a crowd of people freaking out over John Williams music, personally, even if they have heard it a million times.

The poster is very meh. Too many characters in there. I think it is a photoshoped version made from several struzan posters. "Enhaced" with photoshop and photo stills.

I think it is the fault of JJ secrecy. He couldnt give struzan enough material to work with, in advance, and struzan probably didnt meet the deadline in time.

Sad. :(

I like the poster a lot - I like the contrast of the warm and cool colors. Struzan's three posters for the prequels all felt very "same-y" to me because of the warm orange-ish color scheme. My favorites of the Struzan posters are the blue ESB poster and the green ROJ poster The blue half of the poster breaks up the orange a little bit at least. I'm excited that Rey is in the big hero position. I'm a little hesitant about whatever the superweapon is, but it will be what it will be.

I'm almost certain now that they're going to hold off on showing Luke until the movie itself - and I'm fine with that. I've avoided watching the teasers of the trailer, because WTF, but I'll make sure to stay up until the trailer goes online tonight.

This kind of sleek steadycam shot is something Lucas never did and I don't like it too much either. The visual lexicon of SW movies has always been very consistent throughout the six previous films--the kinetic camera movements were usually saved for big action set-pieces only, while the camera rarely moves too much around characters in dialogue or set-up scenes. Lucas (but also Kershner and Marquand) always used a very classical composition style and framing. It would be nice to see Abrams being consistent in his movie as well, but what do I know? I think it's gonna be a very different kind of Star Wars film, in terms of directing style.

I'm glad someone else noticed this and critiqued it to this detail. I don't like it either. It is a style that I noticed Abrams applied a lot in the Star Trek movies, and I was hoping that he wouldn't use it much, if at all, in Star Wars, to keep the classic feel regarding cinematography (like he successfully did with Super 8).

Another example of this modern style that was never used in the OT, which occurs around 1:26 or 1:27 into the 2nd teaser trailer, is the really fast zoom in to the tie fighter chasing the Millennium Falcon into the star destroyer engine. I really don't like that style to action/chase scene filming in a Star Wars film. It was used once in AOTC, during the clones vs droids part near the end, when they were taking out one of the escaping ships, and it felt a little awkward.

As a final example, a few parts in the Comic Con reel that they released leaves me just a little concerned that these modern Abrams-signature filming styles might be more frequent than I'd prefer. Some examples include the same "sleek steadycam" framing at 0:53 into the reel as Poe Dameron is being led down a prison hallway by a stormtrooper and the fast pan down while the soldiers are running down the hallway around 2:22 into the reel.

They stick out to me as cinematography fitting for the rebooted Star Trek series but not fitting for the cohesive Star Wars films. Really glad to hear that someone else picked up on this!!!

Edit: Just to be clear, these are minor details and I am still incredibly excited about the film --- I am very confident that Abrams did a fantastic job and we're in for a real treat. As a Star Wars perfectionist, though, I just wish the cinematography style had been kept as far away from the rebooted Star Trek series as possible (lens flare, "sleek steady cam", fast zooms, quirky pans and all).

If he'll do that here, then we are in safe hands. Star Wars doesn't really require imaginative direction and sophistication of any sort. Trek needed to have some sort of proper s-f element in it. Which Abrams failed to deliver. Not so here. It's exactly that - an escapist action adventure fairy tale. If it's exciting, then it's good.

Karol

While this is true, I certainly won't complain if he wants to successfully introduce a bit of deliberateness and "stillness" heretofore foreign to the franchise (except maybe a bit of the original?) into the works. Can't go wrong either way I guess.

This kind of sleek steadycam shot is something Lucas never did and I don't like it too much either. The visual lexicon of SW movies has always been very consistent throughout the six previous films--the kinetic camera movements were usually saved for big action set-pieces only, while the camera rarely moves too much around characters in dialogue or set-up scenes. Lucas (but also Kershner and Marquand) always used a very classical composition style and framing. It would be nice to see Abrams being consistent in his movie as well, but what do I know? I think it's gonna be a very different kind of Star Wars film, in terms of directing style.

Hmm, I quite like the smoothness of that shot, à la Lubezki's BIRDMAN. I think at least a little bit of refreshing modernism is required to make the fairly dated concept of a classic space opera work for the audiences of today, really, and I don't hold anything against Abrams's camerawork per se. As times change, so do the aesthetics of cinematography and I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping up with those changes, even when tackling something as stylistically distinguished as STAR WARS. I'm wondering what creativity the modern look of this film might have generated in Williams's studio ...

Visually, The Force Awakens looks more consistent with the first Star Wars with a dash of Empire thrown in. As long as Abrams holds back, I won't mind a lens flare or the occasional quick zoom.

The problem with the trailer commercial you all are talking about is the slow motion at the end. I hope it's just for the purpose of that particular spot, and not how the actual scene plays out in the film. Slow motion is just so.... eh... It's used for dramatic effect, but do you really need to use it if the story is good enough? It's almost as if filmmakers think the audience is too stupid to catch on to something so they have to slow the film down.

Again, I hope it's just an effect for that particular spot.

The problem with the trailer commercial you all are talking about is the slow motion at the end. I hope it's just for the purpose of that particular spot, and not how the actual scene plays out in the film. Slow motion is just so.... eh... It's used for dramatic effect, but do you really need to use it if the story is good enough? It's almost as if filmmakers think the audience is too stupid to catch on to something so they have to slow the film down.

Again, I hope it's just an effect for that particular spot.

I guarantee you anything it is.

Since the full trailer will be dropping tonight this will hopefully mark the last time I visit this thread until the films release. I'm going to attempt the impossible; to avoid any and all future promotional material to the best of my ability (as is possible on the internet).

See you all in December!

Slow motion is just so.... eh... It's used for dramatic effect, but do you really need to use it if the story is good enough?

Yes if your name is Kubrick, Peckinpah, Scorsese, De Palma, Fincher or Tarantino.

Slow motion is just so.... eh... It's used for dramatic effect, but do you really need to use it if the story is good enough?

Yes if your name is Kubrick, Peckinpah, Scorsese, De Palma, Fincher or Tarantino.

And Spielberg.

And Spielberg.

Yes, just to name a few.

I hope the trailer music is a suite of the new themes from the film, with significant choral work.

Nice wish!

It's Corporate Synergy, King Mark. Disney owns both ESPN and Lucasfilm, hence the trailer premiering during ESPN's big Monday Night show.