Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

If the 136 minute trailer is scored by Williams, then I don't mind ;)

Well it's no wonder he couldn't conduct the sessions by the end.

5 hours of music AND being forced to work with those dastardly L.A. musicians.

I'm surprised the scoring sessions for the two trailers were three hours apiece. Seriously, JW's L.A. musicians know his style and difficult passages of music. Three hours for two minutes of music?

Could anyone explain that?

Maybe he did 10 alternates for JJ to choose from, encompassing an eclectic variety of orchestration and themes from across the saga.

Not that we'll ever hear them..

I remember a report some time ago that Williams was recording different types of trailer music so that the director could edit freely according to what was needed, or something like that. Anyone recall?

I'm surprised the scoring sessions for the two trailers were three hours apiece. Seriously, JW's L.A. musicians know his style and difficult passages of music. Three hours for two minutes of music?

Could anyone explain that?

That's not really that unusual.

I'm sure there's a minimum booking you have to make for freelance orchestras, in this case half a day. Can't exactly book a trumpet section for 30 minutes.

They did warm up with the Main Title so JW probably spent a while calibrating their "sound" to emulate the LSO.

JJ Abrams says Disney has kept its hands off The Force Awakens

He also apparently said he has *a* final cut of the film already (as opposed to the final cut?). The "talk" in which he divulges this information is nearly an hour long, which I don't have time to watch - and thus cannot provide relevant time stamps - but I'll link it below if anyone is interested.

The relevant conversation starts at 35:25. Not much else in there, though it's not that they have "a final cut" of the film. Abrams is saying he has final cut privileges but there's some clause for Disney to get around it, even though Iger hasn't been exercising much control over the film so far.

So the writer of that particular article obviously misinterpreted but other places are reporting it correctly.

The film is 136 minutes long?

561d721fee8d6.jpg?v1.018

Edit: Nvm, didn't see it.

So, if we assume the film will most likely be scored wall-to-wall and that the OST will be about 70 minutes long, that means we'll have about 66 minutes of unreleased material! :( :( :( :(

This wasn't something unexpected. That happens with every Star Wars, nay every JW film these days.

Hey, maybe JW will go the old-school way and we'll get a 88-minute score?

Karol

Which still means about 18 minutes of unreleased material! Oh no!

You forgot that Captain Phasma's theme and Supreme Leader Snoke's motif will be completely omitted, just like David's theme in A.I.'s OST.

Naturally, these will be themes only associated with yet more unreleased score highlights that are amongst the best music Williams has ever written.

Maybe the recording sessions are so late that Williams won't have time to craft his usual album arrangement.

An assistant will have to take over and release the complete recordings in chronological order instead.

Maybe the recording sessions are so late that Williams won't have time to craft his usual album arrangement.

An assistant will have to take over and release the complete recordings in chronological order instead.

That will never happen! :lol:

He or she is obviously hoarding those new SW sessions and laughing at us!

"It is indeed true that Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer will be released on Monday the 19th. The announcement should come about twelve hours or so before the airing (these things tend to fluctuate). We believe the trailer will appear with a football game that evening, but that bit is only semi-confirmed but most likely dead on. I wish I had better sources on the sports scene but it isn’t my thing. We assume the trailer will be posted online moments after it is on television. The new Star Wars: The Force Awakens logo will appear at this time as well. The generic Star Wars: The Force Awakens logo will be out and the actual logo for the film will finally be revealed. We believe the new logo will be the one that we will see in the trailer and start to turn up on merchandise in the near future. This trailer is really going to be something special. I don’t want to spoil it. But I think we’re going to be very happy fans this Monday. I really think J.J. Abrams has made something special here and I’m going to sit this one out and hope that it doesn’t leak out. In the past I only released the teaser descriptions to shut down the fake ones. It appears we don’t have a problem with that this time. The good news is we are at the finish line for The Force Awakens. I can confirm to the best of my ability a new logo, Monday trailer announcement followed by a trailer this Monday."

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-and-logo-coming-this-monday/

Thank goodness the internet exists so I don't have to watch some sport I have absolutely no interest in just to see a trailer!

"This trailer is really going to be something special. I don’t want to spoil it. But I think we’re going to be very happy fans this Monday. I really think J.J. Abrams has made something special here...."

That's some strong acclaim for a film trailer. Possibly the reveal of Luke?

Before watching it I'll ask you insufferably excitable people first if the trailer "spoils all the best bits".

This will be my first test of putting my money where my mouth is. I will attempt to not watch the trailer to the best of my ability. I probably won't be seeing any films in the theater until TFA so no risk of coming attractions, and I don't watch TV (just Netflix) so no accidental commercials. So I would really have to go out of my way and look it up or proactively click a link to see the trailer. Let the temptation begin.

The following update was added to the makingstarwars.net announcement about Monday's trailer release quoted a few posts back (bold added for emphasis):

Update: Germain at io9 has heard:

'UPDATE 10/15: We’ve heard from multiple sources that here’s what’s happening with Star Wars: The Force Awakens this weekend.

First, we’ll get to see the official one sheet on Sunday morning.

Second, the trailer will debut Monday night, roughly around 8pm EST.

Third, tickets will go on sale very soon after that, likely around 8:30pm EST. They should be available at most, if not all, ticketing sites and theaters.'

I would take Germain’s word on this. On a side note, Viral at Star Wars News Network heard there [won't] be a new logo. Perhaps the logo talk and the poster talk became intertwined? Looks like the fun starts this Sunday, a little earlier than we thought!