Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

But did they get to enjoy the spectacle of Baljós árnyak 3D?

Baljós árnyak
Baljós árnyakBaljós árnyak
Baljós árnyak

Yor peepaw are stawving. And you, Governor, will die much soonah dan yor peepaw I'm afwaide.

Prowcess dem!

I'm more excited about the director choice for Episode VIII. JJ, for better or worse, is quite an obvious choice for Episode VII, to the point of being boring. Rian Johnson is a much more risky endevour and left field choice

Everyone is putting way too much stock in this dude's story. He seems predestined not to care much for the movie anyway and then quotes "sources" within ILM that it isn't good? You know how many people are employed at ILM? This guy has accurately taken the temperature of the entire company through some "friends" and has obtained a full report of the employees morale? Right.

At this point it just seems people are now looking for ways to feel worried.

Everyone is putting way too much stock in this dude's story. He seems predestined not to care much for the movie anyway and then quotes "sources" within ILM that it isn't good? You know how many people are employed at ILM? This guy has accurately taken the temperature of the entire company through some "friends" and has obtained a full report of the employees morale? Right.

At this point it just seems people are now looking for ways to feel worried.

Indeed.

No one should be the new anyone, they should just be a good version of themselves.

But is Nolan a good Nolan? I wonder!

Who?

I think people are just being deservedly cautious after the one-two punch in the guts of Phantom Menace and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Many would argue Prometheus and The Hobbit trilogy continued that tradition.

Arguably the only directors who've ever successfully revisited past glories years later and succeeded would be Miller with Mad Max and Cameron with T2 (though that was only 7 years).

Bespin is right. My expectations couldn't have been higher when I sat down in that theater for the midnight premiere of TPM. And when the scroll was over, and the first scene was a slow arrival at a new place with a bunch of talk of trade disputes and whatever, and nothing happened for five minutes, I knew right away this wasn't the Star Wars I grew up with.

At least the score was good :)

This is how I felt when I saw the first Hobbit film.

Bespin is right. My expectations couldn't have been higher when I sat down in that theater for the midnight premiere of TPM. And when the scroll was over, and the first scene was a slow arrival at a new place with a bunch of talk of trade disputes and whatever, and nothing happened for five minutes, I knew right away this wasn't the Star Wars I grew up with.

It was the end of your childhood, wasn't it.

What I find funny is that, had the comments by the ILM guys been positive, most people would have probably ate it up, but since the comments are negative, then surely it means it's bullshit!

"ILM members said the movie is fantastic" => Reaction: "Wow. Awesome! Can't wait!"

"ILM members said the movie is bad and doesn't feel like Star Wars" => Reaction: "Who are these guys anyway? Can they be trusted? Nah, it's probably just bullshit!"

On this MB, I don't think that's true at all

Yes. Raped childhoods aplenty. ;)

Though a lot of people ate the film up, unlike TPM.

I'm mainly referring to how Jay describes expecting the world coming in, and instantly knowing you weren't going to get what you were expecting in the opening minutes.

What I find funny is that, had the comments by the ILM guys been positive, most people would have probably ate it up, but since the comments are negative, then surely it means it's bullshit!

"ILM members said the movie is fantastic" => Reaction: "Wow. Awesome! Can't wait!"

"ILM members said the movie is bad and doesn't feel like Star Wars" => Reaction: "Who are these guys anyway? Can they be trusted? Nah, it's probably just bullshit!"

On this MB, I don't think that's true at all

Even more, he says it's "far and away the best..."

That's mighty praise.

Why are you guys surprised he claimed that? That's typical marketing bullshit whenever a new film in a franchise is released.

Schwarzenegger: "Terminator Genesys is the BEST Terminator film we've made!" Yeah, sure, Schwarzy...

Peter Jackson: "The Desolation Of Smaug is the BEST Middle-Earth film I've made!" Yeah, sure, PJ...

Harrison Ford: "Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull is the BEST Indy film we've made!" Yeah, sure, Harry...

It doesn't mean a damn thing.

I'm mainly referring to how Jay describes expecting the world coming in, and instantly knowing you weren't going to get what you were expecting in the opening minutes.

Loads of people loved TPM when it was released.

I wonder, will Mike Verta appear at some point to discuss this?

And most importantly: how does he think Harry Potter should have sounded?

Loads of people loved TPM when it was released.

I'm sure you did!

I think there's definitely a pre and post TPM world concerning the hype of a movie. TPM really put cynism and skepticism on the map concerning highly anticipated movies

This. And now it is fondly remembered as one of the worst films of all time.

AUJ never got that. It's hype died to a whimper. People just stopped caring about those movies.

I wonder, will Mike Verta appear at some point to discuss this?

I'm sure he will.

Really? I love the Erebor prologue!

I consider that one of the worst parts of the film!

I think it was just the whole look of it (design-wise, CGI, everything). Once we started going into Erebor, my heart kind of just sank.

I agree that was basically the point of no return. But I agree with KK that I was already feeling a little uneasy after the Erebor and Frodo prologues, and the awkward pacing and humor of the Bag End stuff. The HFR didn't help.

Yes, the HFR did not help at all. I tried to stay optimistic afterwards, but the Azog flashback was kind of the final bullet in the head I think.

So is everyone here finally in agreement then that the Hobbit trilogy was a massive failure?

I've been on that boat for a while now, as have a good many others.