Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I seem to recall that prior to the prequels, going back as far as the original Star Wars, the word Sith was mentioned in various Star Wars paraphernalia, However, in the case of Darth Vader, the, I suppose, EU (AKA source books, Decipher CCG game etc.) frequently referred to him as a Dark Jedi. In Episode III, he was simply a Sith as soon as he pledged his allegiance to the Emperor.

Would the audience laugh if the Sith Master turned out to be not Luke but an Ewok? To pull it off successfully would be a challenge for any director.

I seem to recall that prior to the prequels, going back as far as the original Star Wars, the word Sith was mentioned in various Star Wars paraphernalia, However, in the case of Darth Vader, the, I suppose, EU (AKA source books, Decipher CCG game etc.) frequently referred to him as a Dark Jedi. In Episode III, he was simply a Sith as soon as he pledged his allegiance to the Emperor.

I realize that. If you read the novelizations, they might say Sith. I have an unopened Darth Vader keychain whose package says Dark Lord of the Sith. But the original movies don't say Sith. (I don't recall the specifics of the radio dramas.) They just refer to the Dark Side of the Force. Just like Return of the Jedi doesn't speak the word Ewok, but everyone knows what they are through the end credits and merchandise.

There's a 1997 Star Wars video game set years after Return of the Jedi in which the player fights seven Dark Jedi, but that's all they're ever called, never Sith. The Sith aren't mentioned until the player goes to Korriban, the Sith homeworld.

You can be a Dark Jedi just by doing evil things with Force powers. It takes special disciplines and beliefs to follow Sith ways.

A Gungan Sith Lord would be infinitely more challenging.

To the eye and ear for certain.

I realize that. If you read the novelizations, they might say Sith. I have an unopened Darth Vader keychain whose package says Dark Lord of the Sith. But the original movies don't say Sith. (I don't recall the specifics of the radio dramas.) They just refer to the Dark Side of the Force. Just like Return of the Jedi doesn't speak the word Ewok, but everyone knows what they are through the end credits and merchandise.

There's a 1997 Star Wars video game set years after Return of the Jedi in which the player fights seven Dark Jedi, but that's all they're ever called, never Sith. The Sith aren't mentioned until the player goes to Korriban, the Sith homeworld.

You can be a Dark Jedi just by doing evil things with Force powers. It takes special disciplines and beliefs to follow Sith ways.

Star Wars doesnt' mention "Star Destroyers", just Imperial Cruisers

The term Dark Lord of the Sith is used in the 1976 Star Wars novelization.

As for the Sith presence in TFA, I'd wager they are extinct. There were only two Sith lords and they both died in ROTJ. That's why, I figure, the so called Knights of Ren came into existence. To fill that role left vacant by the sith

The name Palpatine was never spoken in the Original Trilogy. We didn't even know how it was pronounced and then TPM chose the weaker of the two possible pronunciations.

Are you suggesting it would have sounded better pronounced Palpa-TINE? Instead of the actual pronunciation of Palpa-TEEN?

I think it sounds better how it is, though Palpatine isn't the most impressive name...

Besides, we have new ridiculous names to fathom: Captain Phasma, Poe Dameron and Commander Snoke.

As for the Sith presence in TFA, I'd wager they are extinct. There were only two Sith lords and they both died in ROTJ. That's why, I figure, the so called Knights of Ren came into existence. To fill that role left vacant by the sith

I suspect these knights are the spiritual successors of the Sith.

It would be interesting if they were formed with good intentions (perhaps by Luke as the new Jedi order) but then quickly slided toward the dark side to fulfill their aims faster and more efficiently. Anakin himself justified his actions by the apparent order and prosperity the Empire was to bring about.

Trailer 3 was boring and uninteresting other than Old Han Solo. As trailers go it was blah. Jar Jar Abrams has yet to impress.

me too, but it was not a great trailer, but great movies don't require great trailers. I just hope John's music is really really good.

I suspect these knights are the spiritual successors of the Sith.

It would be interesting if they were formed with good intentions (perhaps by Luke as the new Jedi order) but then quickly slided toward the dark side to fulfill their aims faster and more efficiently. Anakin himself justified his actions by the apparent order and prosperity the Empire was to bring about.

I like that idea. It shows that Luke did fulfill yoda's wish and explains why he has gone into hidding hermitage.

But then...i think they would all working lightsabers, as the fall to the darkside couldnt have happened to eveyone when they were younglings... It seems kylo ren's saber is crude because he has done it from scratch without tutelage.

Star Wars doesnt' mention "Star Destroyers", just Imperial Cruisers

Leia points at the Executor when escaping Bespin and says "Star Destroyer..."

king mark said "Star Wars", not "The original Star Wars trilogy". Of course TESB and ROTJ refer to them as Star Destroyers.

Star Wars (the original 1977 film) does not.

king mark said "Star Wars", not "The original Star Wars trilogy". Of course TESB and ROTJ refer to them as Star Destroyers.

Star Wars (the original 1977 film) does not.

... You're awfully good at picking up my lack of reading comprehension today!

All three scripts use the term Star Destroyer in them, even the original film, but it's not spoken in that film. The term is not spoken until some Rebel named Hobbie protests at Leia's evacuation plans on Hoth. Then it's used a few more times in The Empire Strikes Back, by Han, Threepio, Leia, and an Imperial officer. Only Lando and Admiral Ackbar use the term in Return of the Jedi.

Sent from my Star Destroyer

*"I am your Father" scene excerpt plays instead of the original score*

"Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." - Some guy, supposedly James Earl Jones, but it doesn't sound right
*cut to the opening scene of Return of the Jedi from a different angle*

i don;t even want to watch that

I tried to but gave up after a few seconds. I'd much rather see how those characters would react to something nasty like "Three Girls and One Cup"

If anyone would make that, the Internet would implode.

does that mean that... they are in the new film?

Or that they arent, so that's why Lucas is asking, how they died?

I think it's just a joke. Like "JJ, you're the Star Wars expert now, what happened to the grandkids?? I wanna know!!"