88th Annual Academy Awards Discussion (2016 Oscars for 2015 films)

Jay

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It should be between him and Redmayne, but since Redmayne got it last year... Yep, DiCaprio it is.

I feel the same way, but it wouldn't be a first that an actor has won twice in a row, I'm sure. 

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Damon and Cranston don't stand a chance?

I don't think so. I was honestly surprised The Martian got as many nominations as it did, particularly for Damon. 

I think it's unlikely either of them win, yes.

Leo's losing streak is now a sensation and story.  So that coupled with the number of the films nominations make him the favorite in my opinion.

Cranston was excellent in Trumbo, but he certainly won't win, not with the film its attached to.

Dicaprio, being the real talk of the town, is probably going to win this.

27 minutes ago, KK. said:

Cranston was excellent in Trumbo, but he certainly won't win, not with the film its attached to.

I don't know though...it is self congratulatory which Hollywood likes to reward. 

1 hour ago, KK. said:

It must be! If not, he should just quit acting!!!

Yeah, no kidding!  He's pretty much at the stage of losing limbs by taking on increasingly self harming roles for that elusive oscar.

I didn't bother watching that film. I might check it out eventually, and I'm sure Redmayne was good in it, but the whole affair strikes me as cheap, if you will...

Just now, KK. said:

I didn't bother watching that film. I might check it out eventually, and I'm sure Redmayne was good in it, but the whole affair strikes me as cheap, if you will...

Oh you have no idea. But you could imagine right from the start from the director's comments and the casting choice....

49 minutes ago, karelm said:

I don't know though...it is self congratulatory which Hollywood likes to reward. 

Maybe. It's a good enough film, but I don't think it quite competes with the heavyweights, especially in a coveted category like "Best Actor".

The Danish Girl, The Hateful Eight and Creed are the only major pictures in the nominations I haven't seen.

Also just realized Sorkin got snubbed big time with the Screenplay nominations. Steve Jobs owes a lot of its energy to Sorkin.

It's actually a good year with lots of strong contenders in many categories. 

My prediction is Mad Max will be the most snubbed.  Very engrossing and entertaining movie, but best picture??   I believe it will to either Spotlight (I will see that this weekend) or The Revenant. 

What do you people think about Brooklyn?  For me that flew way under the radar...I'm just not the target audience or didn't connect with the adds in any way but will try to catch it in the next weeks.

I only wish true screen giants like Peter O'Toole had this sort of hype concerning a lack of Oscar wins I think Leo's status as an oscar-less actor is over emphasized

4 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Brooklyn is a very well made film, very pretty, and very well acted.  Saoirse Ronan is deserving of an acting nomination.  Beyond that, it's a very typical historical romance film.

3 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yep it's a nice film.  You know.  Best of the year?  Proooooobably not. 

Indeed. Well-acted, enjoyable enough, but nothing notably special.

45 minutes ago, Romão said:

I only wish true screen giants like Peter O'Toole had this sort of hype concerning a lack of Oscar wins I think Leo's status as an oscar-less actor is over emphasized

It's an internet meme. I don't think anyone really cares whether he wins or not.

56988f5843793_OscarBear.jpg.89a009c0247c

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

It's an internet meme. I don't think anyone really cares whether he wins or not.

56988f5843793_OscarBear.jpg.89a009c0247c

I've never seen a film in which Leo was truly great. He just sort of does the job. It always looks like he's trying really hard to be a terrific actor. As far as the screen presence and charisma go, I think DiCaprio is quite far behind.

Karol

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I've never seen a film in which Leo was truly great. He just sort of does the job. It always looks like he's trying really hard to be a terrific actor. As far as the screen presence and charisma go, I think DiCaprio is quite far behind.

Karol

I agree 100%. Everytime I see him acting in one of these so-called Oscar films, I can almost see the gears turning in his head. The effort, the technique, it's all very obvious.

He reminds me of this:

gameboy-pocket--transparant--gameboy_583

The scene with Matthew McConaughey in Wolf of Wall Street just made even more obvious how much more screen presence and charisma Matt has over him

I more or less agree with the general consensus here.  The man knows how to pick projects and line himself up with great directors, that's for sure.  The roles he selects are pretty memorable and he acts very well in them, but I usually can't see past the technique and lose myself in the character.  I basically end up seeing Leo acting.  Great career and he definitely exercises some talent, but I never felt like he's been given unfair treatment on the award circuit.

I somewhat agree with the comments here about DiCaprio, but I wouldn't go so far as to rob him of his claim to talent. He's a good actor, with clear talent, but his technique is often too apparent.

I think he's great. He has his usual mannerisms, etc, but on the whole he has done some fantastic performances. Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can, Django Unchained, The Aviator, and Shutter Island are all very different roles. 

It's funny that DiCaprio shares the screen with Tom Hardy on The Revenant, an actor who has made quite a name for himself in the past 5 years. He knows how to draw attention, even when not doing much. He's got charisma and presence of a real actor (if there is such a thing). Mad Max being one of his least interesting roles actually.

I also think DiCaprio is very good in CMIYC. His worst role is probably The Aviator. I can't think of a more miscast part.

Karol

Yes, the entire film depends on his performance... which consists of him talking about pouring concrete over the phone. And it's a really engrossing film, really liked it.

Karol