Alexandre Desplat's Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets

antovolk

1 hour ago, RedBard said:

I'm ashamed to admit that I am not as familiar with Desplat's work as I would like to be. What works of his emulate the orchestration and instrumentation of Debussy and Ravel?

I'm not very familiar either, actually, so can't help you there! :lol:

But yes, Fal is right, I am simply referring to a comment in this article - http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/Alexandre-Desplat-a-enregistre-la-BO-de-Valerian-en-France - and not Desplat's past works. I'm not sure if his past works have been very Debussy/Ravel or not. 

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Desplat's score is gonna be awesome.

It would have to be to elevate these two young leads who look both tired, pale and entirely devoid of charisma.

16 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Looks fun enough. Still can't get past the twin casting, but if it's more like Fifth Element than Jupiter Ascending, then great. It needs heavy sarcasm and wit to succeed though (quality speaking) because we all know it will bomb at the box office even with a 100% RT score, because all the teens will think it's a ripoff of Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm a teen and I think it's another Jupiter Ascending ...

• 1 month later...

The music used in the trailer is very familiar to me.....

Well, this looks like a very strange, but probably very fun movie.  I don't think it will be an instant classic like Fifth Element though, it probably won't end up being a film worth seeing again, but we'll see.

I'm looking forward to Desplat's score more than the film, for sure.

It's just a little sad to me that most people don't even know it's originally a Stevie Wonder song that Coolio adapted, no matter which version you prefer.

You guys are spot on!  I actually ALMOST said that it reminded me of Gangstger's / Amish paradise.  Well done!

On 30/3/2017 at 6:34 AM, Incanus said:

It would have to be to elevate these two young leads who look both tired, pale and entirely devoid of charisma.

They don't look like they're really their characters. Which ruins the whole thing.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Who cares? The only reason this movie has been made was to give Desplat the opportunity to finally write his own Star Wars score. And it's going to be awesome!

I have a sneaky suspicion the score will not be what you'd expect.

Which isn't a bad thing, of course.

Karol

You used a phrase "space opera" in your previous post.

And you also said...

Who cares? The only reason this movie has been made was to give Desplat the opportunity to finally write his own Star Wars score. And it's going to be awesome!

Karol

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It'd be probably be nominated for an Oscar.

And it'll win too. "See the academy not snobbish with genre films now". 

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

Which is exactly what I meant by saying that we might not be getting what we expect.

Karol

I trust Desplat to do something different & do it right, so if it's not scored like a space epic that's fine by me.

On 5/24/2017 at 1:28 PM, Disco Stu said:

It's just a little sad to me that most people don't even know it's originally a Stevie Wonder song that Coolio adapted, no matter which version you prefer.

Isn't the tune originally a classical piece?

26 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

They've already proven that by giving the Oscar for Best Original Score to Star Wars and The Lord Of The Rings.

That was over a decade ago though. Time for a new genre film to win best original score (yeah not gonna happen anytime soon, I know, but hey a man can dream). 

19 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I would love Desplat to win the Oscar over Williams' TLJ. Would drive the people of this forum mad, would be awesome!

I'm sure the whining and meltdown over it would be glorious.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I would love Desplat to win the Oscar over Williams' TLJ. Would drive the people of this forum mad, would be awesome!

Oh yeah! Well fuck you! That is NEVER hoing to happen. And if it did NOONE here would get upsey about such a things! So you better stopped talking and shut up! 

You still wet the bed and eat poo for desert!