Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Beyond - NEW 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

Could 12 Angry Kirks be edited into another cue?

Possible.  I don't have a full cue list.  Based on available information:

1. Logo And Prosper (1:47)  1m0
2. Trick Or Treaty (:45)  1m1
3. We Come In Pieces (1:17)  1m2
4. Thank Your Lucky Star Date (2:14) 1m3
5. Night On The Yorktown (5:36)  1m4
6. To Thine Own Death Be True (3:32)  1m5-6
7. We Make A Good Team (:22)  1m7
8. The Dance Of The Nebula (2:22) 2m7
9. A Swarm Reception (2:30)  2m8a
10. Krall Hell Breaks Loose (3:04)  2m8b
11. The Evacuation Variations (2:47)  2m8c
12. Hitting The Saucer A Little Hard (6:10) 2m8d
13. Scotland’s Worst Cliffhanger (:23)  2m9
14. A Hive And Kicking (3:30)  3m10

6. MotorCycles Of Relief (3:18)  5m28
7. Mocking Jaylah (3:27)  5m29
8. Jaylah House Rock (3:18) 6m30
9. Bright Lights Big Velocity (Part 1) (:57)  6m31a
10. Bright Lights Big Velocity (Part 2) (2:59)  6m31b
11. Spock Speaks Hive (3:10)  6m32

19. Space, The Final Frontier / Main On Ends (2:42) 7m39/7m40a

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

So much music is missing from JA album?

15 minutes, like I said 2 posts before yours :P

27 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I guess maybe Krok meant "including unused music that didn't end up on the OST".

I don't think there is any.  The 2013 material was edited to fit film, the 2014 stuff was written and recorded to picture, the 2015 stuff filled in the gaps.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

What?

Music written specifically for scenes in the film, but that ultimately wasn't used and wasn't included on the OST either.

Is that clearer?

Just now, Jim Ware said:

I don't think there is any.

OK, so 15 unreleased minutes it is, then!

4 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

I don't think there is any.  The 2013 material was edited into the film, the 2014 stuff was written and recorded to picture, the 2015 stuff filled in the gaps.

That is my understanding as well.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Music written specifically for scenes in the film, but that ultimately wasn't used and wasn't included on the OST either.

Is that clearer?

Oh, OK.  Well my 15 minute figure would include any material like that

OK, so 15 unreleased minutes it is, then!

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

Which makes it frustrating they didn't simply include it on the OST, when they had 2 whole CDs to work with.  Now it seems so unlikely they'll ever do an expanded edition...

I've seem the movie twice and listened to the score a lot but I still have no clue what  Jaylah's theme is. 

Yorktown Theme has the potential to be a fantastic track. Hopefully it is not just a repeat of Night on the Yorktown.

42 minutes ago, zaddini said:

I believe this is her "theme". It's more of a catchy motif than a serious theme, really:

I'm curious to hear how he'll expand that to a 2:30 minute suite.

I like the score a lot but one of the issues I have with it is that he didn't write a more memorable theme for one of the movie's most popular characters.

Ah, smart call.  In fact, if the middle of that cue was dialed out, an ASCAP title is typically created for the second chunk of it.  Of course, it could have been 2 cues all along, and the OST combined two of them together under one title.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Woah!  I just noticed now, but I actually received a shipping notice ~20 hours ago!  Tracking says its expected to be delivered to me on Thursday!  Awesome!

5 hours ago, zaddini said:

I believe this is her "theme". It's more of a catchy motif than a serious theme, really:

Oh, that's a cool motif! I always thought it was just a general action theme. 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I was surprised to see the track called "Yorktown Theme" instead of "Five Year Mission Theme"

Giacchino himself is confused about what his themes represent!

We would never have that from the Lord John Williams! ;)

Yorktown sample sounds great!

The sample (which is only like half the track, possibly the end) is mostly Night on the Yorktown a little slower, with slightly different orchestration. There are some cool short extensions though!

And, woah, Jaylah's theme is incredibly gorgeous!

I remember the theme from the film now, but I don't think it was ever heard in any similar fashion (although I could be wrong).

Wow!!!!!

The other samples sound pretty great too!

Can't get over how good Jaylah's Theme is though! 

I'm pretty sure the actual theme is at 0:50 or so in the sample. 

Love the moment after the theme too, with those gorgeous chords!

I might even like it as much as the Yorktown theme. 

My excitement for Rogue One is rekindled!

Time for another listen!

Am I right that Giacchino suites are written before the score proper as previews for the director (as opposed to Williams' process, where he rights them just for fun, it seems). 

@Jay?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I will never understand why Giacchino writes and records these great  concert arrangements then doesn't put them on the OST! 

Indeed! I'm sure his scores would get much more praise too. Williams' suites always seem to be the most widely popular parts of his scores. 

I also don't understand why they aren't used in the end credits!

I asked earlier, are these concert arrangements written before the score proper as demos for the director? (as opposed to Williams, who presumably does them for fun?)

46 minutes ago, Will said:

Oh, that's a cool motif! I always thought it was just a general action theme. 

I think it's her "fighting" motif. It appears just after she scares three alien thugs away from Scotty, fights Krall's right hand at the top of the building, leads Bones and Spock during the attack on the village, while Kirk distracts everybody riding his bike. And probably in some other places in the movie that I don't remember.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I will never understand why Giacchino writes and records these great  concert arrangements then doesn't put them on the OST! 

I wonder does he have an understanding with Varese to save them for the Deluxe editions to increase their appeal.

This cover is better than what's on the OST.

I ordered my copy through Movie Music but won't be able to pay for it for two weeks, which is okay with me.  I too didn't expect this so soon.  I wasn't expecting it until sometime next year. 

I never really got into the OST but I have a feeling the DE may get me into it.

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Tomorrowland - No idea if he wrote suites for this or not.  I'd kill for a session leak, as its my favorite Giacchino score!

:cheer::cheer:

As we appear to be the two on the forum who love this score the most, we need to keep making a concerted effort to mention how great it is and how it's MG's best as often as is reasonable.  Our powers combined, we can turn conventional wisdom to our will!! :devil:

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jurassic World - It seems he wrote an 14 minute suite first, with all the new themes in it, and those were then used in the film cues

What was interesting about that one is that it didn't include the "As the Jurassic World Turns" melody, which I would consider his big, new theme for the franchise.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What was interesting about that one is that it didn't include the "As the Jurassic World Turns" melody, which I would consider his big, new theme for the franchise.

It is part of the suite, just snipped out for the OST version.

The only reason I could think of for cutting it out of the suite for the OST is if the performance on the standalone track "As the Jurassic World Turns" was just edited out of the suite itself.  Otherwise, I think it should've been left in.

Does that make sense?

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The only reason I could think of for cutting it out of the suite for the OST is if the performance on the standalone track "As the Jurassic World Turns" was just edited out of the suite itself.  Otherwise, I think it should've been left in.

Does that make sense?

"As The Jurassic World Turns" is two film cues: "1m6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big" and "1m10 As the Jurassic World Turns".  Has nothing to do with the suite recording.  I have no clue why he trimmed the suite for the OST >shrug<

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I thought I remembered it was said somewhere Giacchino wrote several theme suites for JW, which were then combined into this 12 minutes track on the OST. Am I remembering wrong?

Well yes, I doubt the orchestra recorded the entire suite all in one take!  Surely its different recordings edited together.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Well yes, I doubt the orchestra recorded the entire suite all in one take!  Surely its different recordings edited together.

That's not what I meant.

What I meant is that various suites were written, and recorded separately, then combined for the OST in one big track.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

"As The Jurassic World Turns" is two film cues: "1m6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big" and "1m10 As the Jurassic World Turns".  Has nothing to do with the suite recording.  I have no clue why he trimmed the suite for the OST >shrug<

It may be frowned upon by some, but I love it when composers include suites (either end credits or these separate theme summaries) because I always listen to them first when I'm approaching an OST for the first time.  I find it's a good way to get acquainted with the composer's approach and they help guide me through the actual score cues.  So of course when I bought the Jurassic World soundtrack, I skipped straight to track 20 and I remember thinking, "If this is all he's brought to the table in terms of new melodies, I am very disappointed." I later warmed up to the suspense material he used to start the suite off, but it didn't make an impression on me at first.  ::shrug:: Just a dumb decision, IMO, to leave your big sweeping new theme off the track called "Jurassic World Suite."