THE POST - FILM Thread

Alex

one-too-many preachy speeches

Sounds like Disco Stu material.

the-post-2017-tom-hanks.png?w=474

"If we cannot tell the truth then who and what are we? Even if we fear that it will makes us look bad, the truth must always prevail. The truth, son, never ever disrespect it. It's why you and I are able to sleep at night." 

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I want another Munich! (Like the 2005 film, not like the 1972 incident)

I literally want another Munich, emerging up from the Mediterranean sea off the coast of Israel. 

The critic who speaks my language.

Heavens to betsy, I'm feelin' weak-kneed 

image.png

Although, from the same critic.  It seems it won't dethrone BoS.  (Again, this really only speaks to me, the one person who's super into recent Spielberg around here)

image.png

Mark Rylance was the best part of that movie!  Well maybe aside from Penelope Wilton.  I'm a little sad Rylance couldn't be in The Post actually.  Maybe his American accent sucks.

----------------------------------------

A more lukewarm take from another critic I like to read

Considering how I worship at the Altar of Capra this doesn't exactly concern me....  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is one of my favorite movies and it ain't subtle.

I think my prediction from the other week will hold true.  Critical consensus will be mixed-leaning-positive.

Of course journalists are going to love this movie.  For this particular film I'm going to take reviews from major media outlets with even less grains of salt than I normally do. Some the Tweets/comments by journalists about this are downright embarrassing (e.g. that David Sims Tweet). Especially given how politicised the discussion of the movie will be.

Well f*ck, they're just going to go ahead and give me a reason to loathe a Spielberg film even before I see it (eventually, at home).

25 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

It seemed unlikely that Spielberg would completely shit the bed with this type of movie, so it seems more a matter of whether it's good or mediocre.

Of course. But then again, it'd be hard for any director to screw up a movie like this really.

A lot of journalists have qualified their tweets with their obvious bias (which sadly doesn't happen more often) but this is a group to which this movie should play best. It attests to the nobility and capital I importance and moral high ground and righteousness of their profession.

I am looking forward to it as I love Spielberg and his films lately have taken on an almost Eastwoodian hush and calm for story-telling - an enchanting austerity and reserve which only the great masters can achieve. Of a course a dramatic new score by Williams is an added plus.

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

So much more interesting movies to make, so little time...

Proof that Spielberg is a technical artisan and not a true artist?

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I am looking forward to it as I love Spielberg and his films lately have taken on an almost Eastwoodian hush and calm for story-telling - an enchanting austerity and reserve which only the great masters can achieve.

Fair comment. Except that Eastwood does this kind of thing better.

Eastwood, btw, did a wonderful jazz score for 'Sully'.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

It's going to be great to see Hanks dance and sing with Streep about the freedom of the press!

I would go see that.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sully is very much a great film and of a piece with modern Spielberg films like Bridge and Lincoln.  See?  I can love movies made by Republicans too.

Capra was a conservative Republican!

1 minute ago, KK said:

Sully's great. Better than Bridge!

One day there will be another.  Another JWFan who is with me on that movie.  I will sing his praises and anoint him with the honorary title of "Disco."

Don't fool yourself friend. The Disco line shall end with you I'm afraid. You are the last Disco for the remaining years of this barren wasteland we call JWFan.

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

Capra was a conservative Republican!

His films and his personal politics were often oddly at... well, odds.  Besides, that was back when Democrats were still the party of the KKK.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

His films and his personal politics were often oddly at... well, odds.  Besides, that was back when Democrats were still the party of the KKK.

FDR was a Democrat then! (and Capra hated him). Are you calling FDR a racist???!!!!

And given your recent comments on this board, the Democrats may still be the party of the KKK. ;)

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

FDR was a Democrat then! (and Capra hated him). Are you calling FDR a racist???!!!!

And given your recent comments on this board, the Democrats may still be the party of the KKK. ;)

FDR was definitely the beginning of the end for Dixiecrats

30 minutes ago, publicist said:

So much more interesting movies to make, so little time...

Since 2005 there was not one Spielberg movie announced, where I thought "Oh, great choice, I'm so excited!". The only exceptions would be Montezuma and Robocalypse, but these were of course cancelled or delayed or whatever.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

FDR was definitely the beginning of the end for Dixiecrats

Living in rural VA Disco Stu, you're either a closet Republican who pretends to be a Democrat on the internet, or very lonely. :)

Film sounds great. It's not gonna win best picture, but it'll certainly be nominated, reviews will likely be very good, and a user online who has connections to the industry, and someone I trust said it was one of Spielberg's best. Very excited to see it. Hopefully Hanks will finally get his six Oscar nom too, it's been far too long. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Those two were the most appealing Spielberg projects to me as well, for the score reasons alone!

For the score reasons alone, exactly! Is there hope that they'll be done one day?

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Film sounds great. It's not gonna win best picture, but it'll certainly be nominated, reviews will likely be very good, and a user online who has connections to the industry, and someone I trust said it was one of Spielberg's best. Very excited to see it. Hopefully Hanks will finally get his six Oscar nom too, it's been far too long. 

Not being nominated for Captain Phillips or Bridge of Spies or Sully is frankly shameful.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Not being nominated for Captain Phillips or Bridge of Spies or Sully is frankly shameful.

Being nominated for Forrest Gump was frankly shameful as well.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Hanks is too nice, that he even campaigns his co-stars as was the case in Bridge of Spies. Hopefully this time he doesn't try to push Streep first, because a nom for her is basically inevitable.

On 11/22/2017 at 12:06 PM, someonefun124 said:

What's annoying to me is all the anti-Trump stuff Hollywood keeps spewing out... we get it, Hilary lost and Trump sucks.  I'm not a Trump supporter, but it's gotten old.  I hope this isn't simply an anti-Trump movie because that would be a waste of good talent all around.  Williams could have been working on RPO instead...

What if Williams ended up winning his 6th Oscar because of Donald Trump?

I would hope that one could be a democrat, republican, or whatever political strain and still have a distaste for propaganda films, even if they are propaganda for one's own views.  

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

I would hope that one could be a democrat, republican, or whatever political strain and still have a distaste for propaganda films, even if they are propaganda for one's own views.  

How does this even make sense?  It's impossible to make a historical drama that isn't in some way propaganda.  They are implicitly endorsing some "version" of the past, if nothing else just by choosing which stories to tell.  Schindler's List is very much a propaganda film, do you find it distasteful?  If all art that has a POV is propaganda, and you dislike propaganda, what is left to like?

For propaganda films are automaticly bad films.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

How does this even make sense?  It's impossible to make a historical drama that isn't in some way propaganda.  They are implicitly endorsing some "version" of the past, if nothing else just by choosing which stories to tell.  Schindler's List is very much a propaganda film, do you find it distasteful?  If all art that has a POV is propaganda, and you dislike propaganda, what is left to like?

No?