LOTR scores to receive complete releases in 2004!!

Incanus

For all you fans of Howard Shore's Lord of the rings trilogy scores( atleast the 2 first installments thus far) these are good news. Shore himself confirmed he is planning the complete release of the trilogy's scores in the late 2004 coinsiding with the release of the Return of the King DVD Special edition ( the God-knows-how-many- DVD set :thumbup: ).

As a John Williams fan one would hope to see Indiana Jones trilogy and SW prequel trilogy complitely released but we obviously have pray and hope for a miracle for this to happen. :cry:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although with LoTR I don't know of any specific cues I'm missing, I'd always want more of a good thing! Now what we need are proper releases of Shore's early work!

Peter Jackson mentioned the following in the Winter 2002 issue of Soundtrack Magazine...

"(Howard Shore) looks at it as being a piece of music, that one day when they release the box set with his entire score for all three films, you could happily spend nine hours hearing it and it would be like an opera, where themes build upon themes. Things that are hinted at in the beginning, but resolved at the end."

There you go!

-Erik-

( the God-knows-how-many- DVD set ;) ).

Let's see... I'm guessing 14 or 15. They'll have two for each movie, then two with bejing the scenes stuff for each movie (like the current SEs), then probably a couple more with even more stuff.

Anyway, the score release news is very good, even though I just spent $30 on the first two releases. Ah, a day in the life of a soundtrack collector. :-p

I thought LOTR threads were supposed to be posted at the Other topics so that those of us who could care less about LOTR wouldn't be bothered by them.

That still doesn't confirm anything. It's common knowledge that Shore has said he would like to do an expanded release of the music but where is it confirmed that this is actually going to happen????

I thought LOTR threads were supposed to be posted at the Other topics so that those of us who could care less about LOTR wouldn't be bothered by them.

That was a tempoary rule, product of this Winter's LOTR 'fever'. Everything seems back to normal now.

I don't remember hearing the music from Bilbo searching to find his ring at the beginning of the movie anywhere on the sound track.

Although with LoTR I don't know of any specific cues I'm missing, I'd always want more of a good thing!

I think the goal of any expanded release would be to include the music Shore wrote for the full versions of the films.

I still would like a conformation....

Me too. Also, I hope they include alternates, i.e. the original versions for the original cuts of the movies. Good though the expanded Journey to Rivendell (as I call it) is, the shorter original version of it is perfect. I'd hate to have to burn my DVD rip of it on CD just because it's not on the deluxe thingy.

Marian - who finds that track very Bruckner-like.

:) Medal of Honor (Michael Giacchino)

Howard Shore has stated repeatedly that this is all in the planning stages with Reprise Records. There have been no decision about exact content yet--will the set be utterly complete with alternates, complete with no alternates, expanded but not utterly complete?--but it is definitely being planned.

See Film Score Monthly.

• 7 months later...

Film score reviewer Paul Tonks has posted a brief review of Shore's upcoming Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King score on http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/score/38a.html

Also, on the FSM MB he is stating the following:

Getting lots of folks writing to ask about the LOTR CD Box Set.

Shore says there'll be the complete scores from all 3 Extended Edition versions of the movies. So however many discs that needs for the 8 to 9 hours or so - that's what it'll be.

The albums as they stand, are edited into the available 75+ minute format as he feels best represents the theatrical versions of the films.

So there will be significant differences.

Additionally, there will be a release of a recording of his upcoming symphony some time next year too.

Hope that answers it for everyone!

PAUL TONKS

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...16404&forumID=1

Sounds very good sofar.

Stefancos- who really WANTS to believe this.

Wow, Shore's really forthcoming with this. New Line has been all in all generous with fans, giving us both a theatrical releas on DVD and a slam-packed extended cut of the film. And seeing the scores released in full so fast is really rare, I think. I guess Shore realizes this is probably the biggest thing he'll ever do, so he wants to share it with others. Plus, there're plenty of people who'll buy it. I know I will.

- Marc, who's not sure about getting the symphony, but will here it in Antwerp next April. 8)

Note that it says that they will release the scores from the extended editions of the films, which might leave some hungry for the original (unedited) versions of Concerning Hobbits or Journey To Weathertop.

Also the new music Shore wrote for the expanded edition of FOTR fits seamlessly with the earlier music IN THE FILM, but i'm sure a change in overall sound should be noticable on CD. (TTT has a somewhat different sound then FOTR)

But, if they do release these complete score so soon i will certainly not complain about such details.

Stefancos- still hoping.

Note that it says that they will release the scores from the extended editions of the films, which might leave some hungry for the original (unedited) versions of Concerning Hobbits or Journey To Weathertop.

I don't have the differences in Concerning Hobbits memorized, but I never missed the original version in the EE. As for Journey to Weathertop, I prefer the original cue, and would very much like to see it included in the box set as an alternate. If it doesn't happen, we at least still have the unedited original version of the cue in good sound in the EE DVD's menu.

Loosely related, TTT:EE is said to have another 20 minutes of fan club credits. Could that mean we get some new bits of music, like last time?

Marian - who has no doubts that these releases will happen, but is not yet convinced that they'll be happening so soon.

This is some great news.

May I ask what version of ROTK people are going to get? I'm probably going to go for the non-online DVD, myself. Of course, I'd recommend anyone who doesn't have the original albums to get the box-set w/ all three.

So can we expect the full version around ROTK:EE? That'd be the most logical time, I'd think, as it will be the last real LOTR event.

Neej- who still needs to get his symphony tickets

This is GREAT news the one I have been waiting for to be confirmed!! :)

It will be more than 9 hours of music if he is to release the whole EE versions of the scores. I can't wait for it. :)

I wonder if Shore will compose concert versions of any of the major themes from the trilogy for the 'complete' release.

So far, we've only had 'Concerning Hobbits' - the concert version of the Hobbiton theme. What about a concert version of the 'Fellowship' theme, 'Sauron's' theme, etc.

JW arranges so many of his themes so well into a concert format, especially for complete releases such as the Star Wars set.

Andrew, UK

So far, we've only had 'Concerning Hobbits' - the concert version of the Hobbiton theme. What about a concert version of the 'Fellowship' theme, 'Sauron's' theme, etc.

I'm sorry, but Concerning Hobbits is NOT a concert version of the "Shire" theme, it's actual underscore, and can be heard in the film.

A concert version would be something that was composed specially for the soundtrack album or concert performances.

Stefancos- :wave:

Concerning Hobbits is the second cue used in the first film after the prologue. It is heard Fully only on the Extended Edition

Perhaps another indication that this news is true is the fact that none of the scheduled soundtrack releases of The Return of the King will feature any new music composed for the Extended Edition of The Two Towers.

I am so happy for this confirmation by Shore himself. It's FANTASTIC!!!! I think Howard Shore and Peter Jackson are doing are great service for the movie and filmmusic community. It's also great that Shore is so enthusiastic about this himself (though no composer would pass an opportunity like this). These complete scores deserve to be heard and not locked away in the archives. And someone should really tell Mr. Shore how much we fans like to hear all his music for the wonderful LOTR trilogy. But there is a whole year of giddy anticipation for the release of the box set ahead. I can't wait :D

:)

I only wish Williams would react the same way about the Star wars prequel scores and really wanted them to be released as complete versions.

I only wish Williams would react the same way about the Star wars prequel scores and really wanted them to be released as complete versions.

According to Williams, the complete Phantom Menace has been released. Mari, Eplicon and I all heard him say this in Washington in January.

Neil

Awesome, just totally friggin' awesome.  Looks like there'll be at least one more big LOTR day after Trilogy Tuesday.

Don't forget the ROTK:EE DVDs. :eek:

Marian - who can't wait for Saruman's Voice.

:) The Star Wars Trilogy

• 4 months later...

I know that many people here don't like LOTR threads but I thought some of you wanted to know:

Shore said in an interview prior to a LOTR concert that the complete score box will be delayed a bit. He said it could be released sometime in the spring of 2005 (March/April?) :mrgreen:

But I'm still happy they really are produced and can wait for couple of months more.

Well, that's still only a year away.

I'd rather that they do a really good job with this set instead of rushing it on the market ala TPM: UE.

People have waited 20 years for a complete release of Star wars...so what's another year.

That "delay" (I don't think a 2004 release was ever actually confirmed) was reported several weeks ago already, along with a delay of the book's release date.

Marian - who can wait *that* long.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, so many good cues absent from the CD releases. I can't wait for the boxed set...all...uh...eight or so CDs!