John Williams: Unpopular Opinions

Bilbo

47 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

My unpopular JWFan opinion is that there aren't any Spielbergs where Jerry Goldsmith would have written a better score than JW

What about Kick the Can?;)

Actually, fun to imagine Williams doing Twilight Zone the Movie.  That’s not a knock on Jerry’s score, which is Top 5 Goldsmith for me. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Minority Report with a JG score could be nice. Same thing for War of the Worlds.

I can already hear exactly what a JG MR would sound like though.  His action style was so locked-in at that point, and not always for the better

Actually, I love that era of Goldsmith's action music, it's my favorite from him. So although it probably wouldn't have been that different from other scores of his from that era, I'm certain that I would like it :)

The horn call at the end of "Qui-Gon Vs Darth Maul: The First Encounter" would work better without the growling chords underneath

I am not a fan of pot-pourri in music so I don't own/have ever listened to the John Williams concerts in Berlin, Tokyo, Vienna etc.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I am not a fan of pot-pourri in music so I don't own/have ever listened to the John Williams concerts in Berlin, Tokyo, Vienna etc.

They don't have any. ;)

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

That is a pot-pourri:

There was no such thing in Berlin. 

I've known that term since I was a kid :lol: Plenty of CDs for kids used it to describe tracks that include more than just one nursery rhyme

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was probably at the after-party.

The after-party of JW concerts usually involve cocaine and strippers

39 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I had to look that up! :lol:

In your circles it's probably rather known as "medley".

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

That is a pot-pourri:

Yeah. I should have put it in " ".

I just meant a collection of unrelated music cues.. I just used that word for emphasis. :lol: 

On 04/12/2023 at 5:59 PM, Tom said:

Yes, this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that opinion that DoD is a great score (particularly the second half, but all of it) and film should not be considered unpopular.  

Fixed.

On 04/05/2024 at 3:22 AM, filmmusic said:

I have never warmed up to Jaws, both film and score..

I prefer Jaws 2.

I totally understand preferring Jaws 2 as a listen on album. In fact I might prefer it myself! But you think Jaws 2 is a better FILM than the original??? In what universe?

Yavar

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Or pot-pourri as it's called...

Well, in English the word "pot" is also a name for marijuana...

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

But you think Jaws 2 is a better FILM than the original??? In what universe?

Hehe.. I know.. But there are many scenes in the original in which I am bored..(in between shark attacks I mean)

Also I find the helpless kids threatened by a shark a more dramatic device than a trio of grown-ups that have gone out specifically to kill it.

On 04/05/2024 at 9:05 AM, Faleel said:

Would it? With how many criticize the sampled vocals in Ghost and the Darkness, I am not so sure...

I don't hate the sampled vocals in that score, but that is one of the reasons I... (here comes my unpopular Jerry Goldsmith opinion)

...think Congo is a far, FAR superior Goldsmith score to the much-beloved (IMO overrated) Ghost and the Darkness. I love the theme he did for Lebo M and his group, even though I admit it took a little while to grow on me. It's Congo that shows Goldsmith could have written a great Amistad score, not The Ghost and the Darkness (which is more Rudy than Africa in its sound, even giving credit for the sampled vocals).

Yavar

20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Fixed.

I had to scroll back to remember what I had even said in the first place.  Fortunately, I have a lot of free time.  

It is a fine film--solid 3 stars.  Maybe 3.5, if I have been drinking.  So, 3.5 it is.  

22 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Well, in English the word "pot" is also a name for marijuana...

How do you know that?... ;)

21 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Hehe.. I know.. But there are many scenes in the original in which I am bored..(in between shark attacks I mean)

Also I find the helpless kids threatened by a shark a more dramatic device than a trio of grown-ups that have gone out specifically to kill it.

If for nothing else, the first film is way better for the Brody-Hooper-Quint trio and the constant Quint-Hooper banter. Oh yes, and the first film was directed by Steven Spielberg. ;)

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bet he owns a dictionary. 

pot1

/pɒt/

noun

noun: pot; plural noun: pots; noun: the pot

a rounded or cylindrical container, typically of metal, used for cooking.

"pots and pans hung from a rack"

any of various containers made for a particular purpose, especially one used for storage.

"a yogurt pot"

a container for holding drink, especially beer.

the contents of a pot.

"a pot of coffee"

the total sum of the bets made on a round in poker, brag, etc.

"Jim raked in half the pot"

all the money contributed by a group of people for a particular purpose.

"in insurance, everybody puts money into the pot used to pay claims"

INFORMAL

a prize in a sporting contest, especially a silver cup.

INFORMAL

a pot belly.

"men pat their pots proudly and talk of how they must have got through a few skinfuls"

INFORMAL

an engine cylinder.

BILLIARDS•SNOOKER

a shot in which a player strikes a ball into a pocket.

"he put together a 36 clearance to blue which was full of difficult pots"

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Too many Seth Rogen movies :lol:

Kids these days... ;)

But they’re all dead.