The Last Jedi Box Office Predictions (No Movie Spoilers Please)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't understand why people complain about the acting in Star Wars or Empire. These are some of the most iconic characters that ever appeared on the silver screen. The main requirement was that they could embody archetypal characters like the innocent hero, the evil villain, the wise mentor and father figure, damsel in distress/Amazon warrior ... And they did so with great success. 

I don't complain about the acting in Empire Strikes Back. Its much, much better. Star Wars and Return of the Jedi, on the other hand....

What, in contrast to Star Wars, which by comparison was a catastrophe in production on so many levels? ROTJ was the movie were it started to go wrong, with Marquand being an impotent stand-by and Lucas basically vetoing all the good script ideas in circulation.

Return of the Jedi really is an inferior film to each of the previous two films, in every single metric possible.

Maybe the lighting is a tad more dynamic than in Star Wars, I'll give it that.

20 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Gary Kurtz left as well. 

I think it was that that did it. He would have said to Lucas: Ewoks? Scratch that, Georgie boy.

21 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't understand why Irvin Kershner hasn't also done Episode 6!

He was asked to but didn't want to commit to another 3 years of Star Wars. 

18 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I think it was that that did it. He would have said to Lucas: Ewoks? Scratch that, Georgie boy.

Kurtz let the production of Empire get way out of control. Empire was massively late and over budget. 

7 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Kurtz let the production of Empire get way out of control. Empire was massively late and over budget. 

Just like Kubrick and 2001: A Space Odyssey .... Seems that's the way to make a classic!

ROTJ and the saga in general would have been much better off had Lucas kept Gary Kurtz around (and I'm not sure he was entirely responsible for the cost and time overruns...Lucas and Kershner were involved with that movie also as I recall). 

The problem with Jedi when you get down to it is that it fully embraces its childishness and the man children can't stand that. It's singing puppets and teddy bears throwing rocks.

22 hours ago, publicist said:

What, in contrast to Star Wars, which by comparison was a catastrophe in production on so many levels? ROTJ was the movie were it started to go wrong, with Marquand being an impotent stand-by and Lucas basically vetoing all the good script ideas in circulation.

I really felt sorry for Marquand after reading that Return of the Jedi book which came out some time ago. You got the impression Lucas really didn't like the guy at all and was determined to shoot down pretty much any original idea coming from him. But then, he was being mardy about his divorce around that time so maybe that's why...

Karol

Unhappy New Years Day: “Last Jedi” Knocked Off Number 1 by “Jumanji” Reboot

It seems like New Years Day was an unhappy one for “The Last Jedi.”

On its 18th day of release, the latest “Star Wars” movie was supplanted at number 1 on the box office chart by the reboot of “Jumanji.”

“Jedi” took in $15.7 million. “Jumanji” scored over $16.1 million. “Jumanji” is in its 13th day of release.

For “Jedi,” losing number 1 less than three weeks after release is a little surprising. But as I’ve told you right along, the new “Star Wars” movie hasn’t been keeping pace with its predecessor, “The Force Awakens.”

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

The film made over one billion in three weeks with China yet to open. Honestly...

Wasnt it also the highest grossing film of the year?

2017 was bad for blockbuster and Star Wars still hit the billion. They’ll be happy with that. 

There's no question they'll be happy with those numbers. The film is a massive success under any metric (in terms of box office).

But I think it's naive to suggest they wouldn't be concerned with the reaction to the film among a huge part of the fan base. They're going to need those people later on, especially with this new trilogy and as they make more films that don't involve OT characters.

Exactly.

That's the difference between big and strong box office numbers.

To think that freaking Jumanji passed Star Wars so soon is pretty amazing.

Question is, what can they do? Frankly, not much. Hollywood has long been wise to the fact that crystal balls do not work and the paying public is a fickle mistress. Who knows what they really want? (or if those vocal fans are not just a vocal mirage)

On 12/31/2017 at 11:41 AM, Chen G. said:

I'm not a huge fan of the original Star Wars. The acting isn't quite there yet, there's a lot of 70's weirdness to be had (think the creatures in the cantina), and it doesn't have neither the grandeur nor the drama of Empire Strikes Back: See how it pulls a Bambi's-mom on us with Ben's death.

Empire is the only film of the whole series that, I as someone who was exposed to Star Wars as an adult, can watch and say: "this is that good, and than some."

Yea the acting in Star Wars sucked, especially by Peter Cushing and Alex (did I get an Oscar nod?) Guinness. Of course James Earl Jones was doing voice over which isn't acting at all.  The acting of the three principles certainly didn't establish iconic film characters for the sequels to be developed around, no that never happened.

And in what universe did Jumanji top Star Wars at Box Office?

I don't know. Given that he's going to be directing the third film, at this point I wish Abrams would have just done all three (and never thought I'd say that). I had my issues with TFA, but at least with one director Abrams would have been able to tell a cohesive story where each part builds on the next. As it is Johnson, in what I can only think is pure self-indulgence in service of his own artistic pretensions, completely reset the board, and Abrams will essentially be making a stand alone film.  

I don't have issues with Johnson wanting to take the films in a new direction, and even being subversive to what a Star Wars film is supposed to be.  I just don't think one of the Saga films was the place to do it.  We waited 30+ years to see Luke Skywalker in action again...and didn't.  And we'll never have that chance again, because it was simply sacrificed, along with a good part of the mythology, at the altar of a director's own vanity.  Johnson needs to realise that Star Wars is bigger than whatever his pet vision for the story was. 

And for letting him to do this, along with the Rogue One and Han Solo fiascos, I'm beginning to question if Kennedy is the right person to head up this franchise long term.

What I find really funny about the analysis of The Last Jedi's performance is that, while it certainly makes less money than its predecessor (a trend of this franchise), it is already the second best performing film in the series both domestically and worldwide. And yeah, I'm not bothering with inflation and stuff like that. Such a failure indeed...

Karol

He was a highlight of the movie and received the best finale a character of his stature could ever hope for. In fact I'd even say it was the best conceived storyarcs for any SW character out there. 

Spoiler

From a farm boy to a fighter to a Jedi knight to a celebrity to a broken man to a legend. It was a perfect send off.

Karol

Yes, with quite a few people who felt the same way I do.

But this is the wrong thread to have this discussion. Spoilers and all.

Actually I was being a bit of a smart ass with my spoiler response, a little humor.

I know what Karol was referring to. The basis is quite a few people I know were disappointed with Luke’s story line but I didn’t want to say anything more in this thread.

That’s a double edge sword. I agree you don’t have to always give the audience what they want, but you risk losing them at times. 

That being said, I felt they could have done better.

Given how the film ended they should have just gone the Sixth Sense route and have Luke already dead and appearing to Rey as a force ghost the whole time. In fact I thought that’s where they were heading when they showed the x-wing underwater.

I don't have many issues with Luke's story in this. It's the closest this film got to being moving.

Its mostly the other two storylines that I don't like, and that's not to be taken lightly.

Whatever the complaints, i doubt they have much effect on the box office. If anything, they will give the next movie a head start. Because one thing Di$ney and anyone with a brain has realized is that old Hollywood adage that bad press is still press. 

19 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

As it is Johnson, in what I can only think is pure self-indulgence in service of his own artistic pretensions, completely reset the board, and Abrams will essentially be making a stand alone film.  

I don't have issues with Johnson wanting to take the films in a new direction, and even being subversive to what a Star Wars film is supposed to be.  I just don't think one of the Saga films was the place to do it.  We waited 30+ years to see Luke Skywalker in action again...and didn't.  And we'll never have that chance again, because it was simply sacrificed, along with a good part of the mythology, at the altar of a director's own vanity.  Johnson needs to realise that Star Wars is bigger than whatever his pet vision for the story was. 

I totally agree with all of this!

23 hours ago, crocodile said:

He was a highlight of the movie and received the best finale a character of his stature could ever hope for. In fact I'd even say it was the best conceived storyarcs for any SW character out there. 

Hide contents

From a farm boy to a fighter to a Jedi knight to a celebrity to a broken man to a legend. It was a perfect send off.

Karol

You saw a different film. I saw one with a cowardly character badly acted by a very limited actor. 

In every way. He was afraid to act on anything. It was a badly written and naturally badly acted. He was bad in Jedi, which I blamed on Marquand but I realize now Hamill is much better as a voice actor.

Hamill is possibly better here than he ever was, in any role. I don't mind the character, except for his attempt on Ben's life, which is out-of-character. Otherwise, everything with him is cinematic gold. Too bad there was a lot of bad stuff to mire the gold in.

Really, at the end of The Force Awakens, what did you expect Luke to be other than a broken old man?