Ark theme or Grail theme?

MrScratch

Which holy Indiana Jones relic theme do you like better?  

45 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Lost Ark Theme (from Raiders)
    • The Holy Grail Theme (from Last Crusade)

I voted for the Ark theme... I like the Grail theme a lot, but Williams used the Ark theme way more in Raiders than he used the Grail theme in Last Crusade and the Ark theme has more mystique and wrath to it (especially in the end!). The music seems to be trying to warn the characters to stay away from the Ark, wonderful effect by Williams.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this very same discussion with Justin some months ago. I liked the Grail theme better, and I still do, because I'm more of a Grail guy.

Am I totally insane, or is the Ark theme meant to sound a tiny bit jewish (Miracle of the Ark track), whereas the Grail theme has a more Christian sound? Must be my theology classes speaking . . . . :roll:

It was a hard call for me. The Ark theme is what I voted for, simply because it's so ominous and brooding. The Grail theme is fine, too. I mean whenever you walk into a cathedral that's got any age to it, you instantly have the Grail theme going through your mind. I guess the Grail theme is more ecclesiastical than the Ark theme. The Ark theme is archaeological/spooky-historical and I think that characterizes the trilogy better.

They're both excellent themes but very DIFFERENT themes. The Lost Ark theme is mysterious, foreboding and almost a little scary, whereas the Holy Grail is hopeful, mystical and majestic.

But I'm going with the Ark. It tickles my fancy just a little more than the Grail theme. I love the way it's used in the Government Agents track from Raiders, and also when Indy's preparing for his trip to see Ravenwood. Brilliance. I get shudders every time.

Tough one. These themes are both in my JW top 5 themes. There are trully brilliant. But the Ark Theme in the Miracle of the Ark is just spine chilling, so Ark Theme.

Grail Theme, all the way. I think it's a more elegant theme and more pleasurable to listen to (though both function perfectly in their roles in the movie, absolutely perfectly).

I think it's my fondness for modal music that makes me enjoy the very aeolian Grail theme (this accounts, in large part, for why it sounds so early Christian) more than the extremely chromatic, heavy and minor Ark theme (which gives it a forboding and mysterious quality).

But what about the other relic themes from Indiana Jones?

The medallion, the sankara stones (do they have their own theme? I think its the parade), the cross of coronado? Did I miss any? Good stuff.

Gotta go with the Grail on this one.

I thought about it (maybe too much) and decided that the Ark Theme seems somewhat out of place. It's a little too serious compared to the Raiders March and Marion's Theme, which fit right in with swashbuckling 1930s globe-trotting adventure.

The Grail Theme, on the other hand, feels just right. The cue when Indy cures his father is at the top of my list on "Must Be Released," right after the alternate ATS.

Am I totally insane, or is the Ark theme meant to sound a tiny bit jewish (Miracle of the Ark track), whereas the Grail theme has a more Christian sound? Must be my theology classes speaking . . . .  

you may be insane, but I do agree with you. Its well known that I favor Raiders and Temple well over LC, but the Grail theme is just a wonderful piece of music, and the best part of that film.

Neil quoted the best line from the film.

A "penitent man wll pass" is beautiful

I thought the story of TLC was too cliche (eg :We've done the famous Ark, now lets do the Grail too). He should of gone after the Inca Golden Sunburst (aka Harry Steele). lol. It would of been nice to have seen Indy back in a south american setting with the 3rd movie. At least they did something original with Temple of Doom. But the score is certainly nice. No choice from me though about which theme is best. They're all wonderful really.

Indy themes everywhere absolve you. I am your patron saint.

ROSS, i agree with you, The Grail theme always sounded me of the european middle ages.

Well the Ark theme is chilling and powerful, but i prefer more the grail theme, though 'The Map Room' is one of the best cues from Indy movies.

Its difficult to chose, really the two themes are very special in different matters.

I'm with Marian :P

I remember the 5 note Sankara stone motif now.It's mainly played in unrealeased dialogue music.An oboe plays it I think.

Cross of Coronado theme is good too,Portuguese Coast is one of the best LC cues.

Also the best renditions of the Grail theme are "unreleased",in The Diary,Flight to Austria,and Papa Jones is Healed.

K.M.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a tough decision, since I absolutely love both of these themes. They both have this amazing mystical quality, but in different ways. But I give the edge to the Ark theme simply because it is one of the finest examples of Williams knowing exactly what a film needs musically. And tha Map Room cue gives me the chills every time I hear it. Simply glorious!

Ted, who feels the same way about the music in the scene in which Indy first attains the Sanakare Stones

I remember the 5 note Sankara stone motif now.It's mainly played in unrealeased dialogue music.

K.M.

Yeah, one of the tracks I want most re-released is when Indy is on the mountain deciding to go after the stones.

Btw, I also really like the Cross of Coronado. Amazing how such a small part of the film has some of the best cues.

I prefer the Ark Theme if only because it's so powerful and awe-inspiring, and is the only Indy theme other than the Raiders March itself to carry from one Indy movie to the next (at least noticeably).

But I don't want to be the one to lock up this pretty neat thread, so I'm gonna stop....now.

Ark Theme. It's unbelievable.

-Chris, Who finds it similar to The Emperor's Theme, and loves both of them... :-D

You wanna talk about similarities. The Emperors Theme and Voldemorts Theme are VERY similar!