What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

TDK worked for me on a visceral level. I left the theatre feeling shaken and a little queasy. And I must've been really emotionally engaged, cuz I spontaneously applauded (like a dork) when Gordon was revealed to be alive and suddenly reappeared to arrest the Joker.

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Which is why (and I know this is an impopular opinion) I think Batman Begins is the best Nolan Bat-movie. It's less ambitious than its sequels and it's just the more efficient because of that. Nolan tried to make less of a superhero movie and more of a treaty on chaos, order and politics and it didn't always land, even though TDK still remains a great movie.

I agree with everything you write here.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Which is why (and I know this is an impopular opinion) I think Batman Begins is the best Nolan Bat-movie.

No, it's not an unpopular opinion, at all.

It's my favourite Nolan Batman film, as well (although saying that is rather like saying "this week's root canal treatment was better than last week's root canal treatment" ;)).

Unless I'm missing the intent, that seems a gratuitous use of a dolly zoom. But camera tricks are a trademark De Palma affectation. Sometimes they work and sometimes they just call attention to the fact that you're watching a movie.

Unfortunately this trick just produces a jarring effect for me. Maybe it's conditioning from seeing it used so often to express horror/shock.

I like it. The film on the other hand has never been one of my favourite De Palmas. But after finally seeing Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul this year, a rewatch was in order.

I felt like I needed a shower after watching it to get the grime of Tony Montana off. He may be one of Pacino's best roles, but the character's just so repugnant.

I probably don't fully "get" the satire aspect of the whole affair. But I much prefer Carlito's Way, where De Palma and Pacino revisit the genre but play it straight. It's one of my De Palma favourites (and perhaps his best "serious" film along with Casualties of War), and maybe my favourite Pacino role.

BTW… watching Scarface this time, I got the feeling that Turturro channeled Tony Montana for The Big Lebowski:

Well known fact? Or just me being blinded by stereotypes?

On 21/10/2023 at 3:55 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

SCARFACE is one of Dr Palma's best, and one of the best films of the '80s.

I um….yeah. Watching Scarface was where I started to realize that DePalma maybe wasn’t up to scratch with his contemporaries. But hey, I’m glad you like it. It takes all kinds.

On 20/10/2023 at 4:21 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

No, it's not an unpopular opinion, at all.

It's my favourite Nolan Batman film, as well (although saying that is rather like saying "this week's root canal treatment was better than last week's root canal treatment" ;)).

That’s how I feel with most Nolan films. Unregardless, I like Batman 89 better than any of his, and that’s not nostalgia. I saw it for the first time a few years ago.

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Unregardless, I like Batman 89 better than any of his, and that’s not nostalgia. I saw it for the first time a few years ago.

That's "irregardless".

13 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I felt like I needed a shower after watching it to get the grime of Tony Montana off. He may be one of Pacino's best roles, but the character's just so repugnant.

Isn't that a testament to how well Pacino plays him?

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If it is, than its tantamount to cutting one's nose off to spite one's face.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Wow, I didn't know he has worked as a doctor besides his movie career! Is this why his movies have so much blood? :D

His father was a surgeon.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sure, I was just saying that it's not my cup of tea. I was heavy into De Palma back in school, and Scarface was probably my least favourite to watch. I was more into his psychological thrillers.

I saw BATMAN in America, on its opening weekend.

The audience applauded this shot.

It's still my favourite shot in any Batman film.

Granted, the execution is not that brilliant. Derek Meddings' effects for the film often leave a lot to be desired, but it's the imagination that counts 

6 hours ago, JTW said:

IMG_9836.gif

Love it, but I remember thinking as a kid: "Batman—while you're showboating up here, people are dying of Smylex gas! Get back down there!!"

16 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Love it, but I remember thinking as a kid: "Batman—while you're showboating up here, people are dying of Smylex gas! Get back down there!!"

He was obviously showcasing his awesomeness to Superman as a warning in case he goes to Gotham ;)

83easp.gif

This is one of my favourite shots from Transformers The Movie, mostly from a technical point. In animation the backgrounds are always static, it's incredibly rare to have the background animated to adjust for the camera movement.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Nice album cover.

That album was one of my first score albums I ever bought.

Transformers: The Movie! Hell yeah!

image.gif

3 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

That album was one of my first score albums I ever bought.

Same here. One of these days I'm going to frame it.

10 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

:lol2:

On 22/10/2023 at 6:52 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

Transformers: The Movie! Hell yeah!

image.gif

Epic stuff, even without Stan Bush blaring! 

A few more of my favourite shots - 

83hrs3.gif

83hrnd.gif

83hpul.gif

83hq7n.gif

83hqfm.gif

On 22/10/2023 at 6:52 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

Same here. One of these days I'm going to frame it.

I gave mine to a friend after I found out about the LLR release, in fact I don't think I've got many of those old albums, since most have had the expanded treatment I always upgrade and give away the original. That'll be so cool when you do, do you think you'll frame any others? 

6 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

That'll be so cool when you do, do you think you'll frame any others? 

It's one of the few soundtrack LPs I kept, besides The Empire Strikes Back (My brother claimed the other Star Wars albums.), and the Jaws trilogy. I also later got The Shining on eBay, which has that striking yellow cover and Saul Bass art, and would also look great framed.

Album frames can be bought pretty inexpensively at IKEA I think, or maybe at a Michaels store, if you have one in your neck of the woods.

37 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I wish Emmerich had kept making movies like this. Hell, I wish ANYBODY had kept making movies like this.

I agree. These films have that “awe and wonder” factor. The last two films that were similar are THE MUMMY & THE MUMMY RETURNS. They were better Indiana Jones films than the last two Indiana Jones films. 

17 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

He really had a hot two years, never to be repeated. We should’ve had more David Arnold scores like those, also. 

Agreed. STARGATE & ID4 have become classics, and Arnold was on fire when he scored them. Alas with GODZILLA Emmerich was already starting to lose steam, but I’m sure his subsequent films would’ve been far more entertaing had Arnold written the score to them. 

On 23/10/2023 at 6:40 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

It's one of the few soundtrack LPs I kept, besides The Empire Strikes Back (My brother claimed the other Star Wars albums.), and the Jaws trilogy. I also later got The Shining on eBay, which has that striking yellow cover and Saul Bass art, and would also look great framed.

Album frames can be bought pretty inexpensively at IKEA I think, or maybe at a Michaels store, if you have one in your neck of the woods.

Those ones will definitely look great on display. I find The Shining one confusing , mostly because I'm not sure what it has to do with the film 😂

Ah I still listen to my vinyls as I got a pretty expensive Yamaha set up (well I would but it's all in storage at the moment). 

When I was young, the poster for The Exorcism of Emily Rose left a big impression on me. Such an eerie poster for a movie with the word "exorcism" in its name made it particularly creepy. I think I may even have dreamt about it...

The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) - IMDb

A decade later, as an adult, I saw the movie and found out it was underwhelming. The poster is scarier than the actual movie.

4 hours ago, Presto said:

image.gif

You've just ruined Thomas the Tank Engine for me! :lol:

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

When I was young, the poster for The Exorcism of Emily Rose left a big impression on me.

How young ARE you, child? :-)

On 25/10/2023 at 6:59 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

It's one of those indelible images that was burned into my mind as a child. There's no telling who (or what) that face belongs to, but it's suitably unsettling to look at.

image.jpeg

It’s Stephen King’s face when he saw the film.

Just now, Edmilson said:

Let's just say that I am younger than Harrison Ford but older than these kids that are a hit on TikTok ;)

So you're 80. ;-)