What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

21 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

16%20(642).jpg

Robert Blake was an inspired choice here. He was creepy as all hell.

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

01%20(1078).jpg?bwg=1547466098

50%20(1055).jpg?bwg=1547466097

55%20(1020).jpg?bwg=1547466097

57%20(1003).jpg?bwg=1547466097

63%20(855).jpg?bwg=1547466097

Do you think that's WISE?

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Last_Night_In_Soho_037.jpg?bwg=164856802

What is this?

7 hours ago, JTW said:

IMG_9867.gif

HELL yes. There is nothing like this in ANY other Indy movie.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Do you think that's WISE?

Last Night in SOHO. Which I think is much inspired by The Haunting, even if that's not one of the officially mentioned influences. Repulsion is one of those, though, and I think The Tenant (or Rosemary's Baby) must be another one (although Repulsion is the one that's quoted directly in the visuals), so it really fit nicely with my recent watch history.

39 minutes ago, A24 said:

But ... Last Night In Soho was terrible, Marian! Terrible!

It was my second viewing, and I still like it a lot. Possibly my favourite Wright.

• 1 month later...

Isn’t he sitting in the same corner of the Prancing Pony Aragorn was? I sort of thought that’s the call back PJ was going for…i.e., Aragorn looked foul but was fair, this guy looked foul and was foul.

You know, I don't believe he is. My memory is Aragorn sits near the fireplace, whereas this guy is sitting perpendicular to it. I even think they remark on it in the director's commentary.

12 hours ago, Chen G. said:

You know, I don't believe he is. My memory is Aragorn sits near the fireplace, whereas this guy is sitting perpendicular to it. I even think they remark on it in the director's commentary.

I'll take your word for it, I've only seen this shot in DoS a handful of times.  It looks the same to me, but wherever this foul guy is sitting, I think it's clearly a callback to the first time we see Aragorn.

• 3 weeks later...

At times it feels like they simply didn't have a regular lens available. :P It looks great though - unlike STTMP, where for some reason half of the split diopter shots look like the lens was broken.

11 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

unlike STTMP, where for some reason half of the split diopter shots look like the lens was broken.

I believe that on that movie, some shots were composited together to look like split diopter shots...

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I believe that on that movie, some shots were composited together to look like split diopter shots...

Hm. Whatever the reason, quite a few shots look really ugly, even in the newly remastered edition.

10 hours ago, filmmusic said:

f099e55c6c95c02ea783df1610e09f5b.gif

I love the entire transformation scene!

I love it, too. And it’s so anime-like. It was the first (and last) reneissance of Disney. This film was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, that says it all about how amazing this film is. And Alan Menken’s score is sublime. 
——————

IMG_9994.gif

The best scene is when the mothership turns upside down and we see how enormous it really is. The special effects of this film are simply spectacular. 

There was always something about Beauty and the Beast (animation wise) that felt a little rougher around the edges than Little Mermaid / Rescuers Down Under / Aladdin. Which is understandable considering how rushed it was and yet still fairly ambitious.

I think Mermaid gets forgotten a bit because it was "first" (never mind Oliver & Company). And Rescuers Down Under gets forgotten because we can't have nice things! (That movie is SO gorgeous.)

47 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

58%20(980).jpg?bwg=1547465432

This is one of my favorite shots of all time. The symbolism is perfect. Kate up-close and personal to the camera and then Michael in the very back separated by a whole room. Michael is far distant from Kate at this point and it shows that they’re practically living in two separate worlds that neither can join one-another in. Also the shot at the very end of the film where the door closes on Kate is IMO the best ending shot ever.

On 06/01/2024 at 8:17 AM, Tallguy said:

And Rescuers Down Under gets forgotten because we can't have nice things! (That movie is SO gorgeous.)

Or because it's a sequel to a film considered to be so-so.

1 hour ago, Presto said:

Or because it's a sequel to a film considered to be so-so.

No. That's not it. For one thing The Rescuers is a classic.

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

No. That's not it. For one thing The Rescuers is a classic.

"Between Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, there was actually another animated film that everybody seems to gloss over: The Rescuers Down Under. Even today, when I bring up The Rescuers Down Under, everybody says, "Oh, the little girl in the cave with the skull and diamond, right?" No, no! Why does everyone always remember the bland, forgettable one? How ironic is that? I’ll admit, out of all the Disney films to get a sequel, it’s kind of weird that they did The Rescuers, but you know what? They put their damnest into this movie. This is one of the best-looking Disney adventures that has ever come out of the studio, and I have no idea why it continues to get the shaft."

I've also seen people (wrongly) suggest that Down Under was too early and it should have followed the soon to be formula of quickie knock off sequels that went straight to video.

38 minutes ago, Presto said:

They put their damnest into this movie. This is one of the best-looking Disney adventures that has ever come out of the studio

This part is certainly true. Also the score was my intro to Broughton.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...