Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

The "comfort TV" factor of older shows plus the insane amount of episodes (compared with current streaming shows, whose seasons have between 8 and 13 episodes) means that, last year, it was older shows such as Suits, Gilmore Girls, Friends, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural were the most watched on streaming services.

https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar_media_wire/4474380-the-top-streamed-shows-are-almost-all-old-why/

On 23/01/2024 at 8:26 PM, A24 said:

Forget Ripley, this here is something more for you guys:

I watched so far 7 episodes of live action Avatar with my kids, and of course they keep telling me, what they like more about the animated series.

But that aside, this is really a great show. Something like Game of Thrones for Kids. The story, the characters, the dialogues. Everything is pretty interesting and right on point, great twists. This has substance and is told in a smart way.

A story about war, greed, grief and responsibility, loyalty etc. Great stuff.

Just saw that this Avatar show has two former cast members from Lost in it: Daniel Dae-Kim and Ken Leung.

I'd give the show a try but I already saw the animated series (truly one of the best fantasy shows of all time, better than a lot of expensive live-action crap) and I'm not a fan of these Netflix remakes that reek of "we need recognizable IP at all costs!"

Hacks Season 3 begins May 2nd!

Huh, Only Murders In The Building Season 4 hadn't even started filming yet until today.  Seasons 1-3 came out three years in a row in August then June then August again, but there's no way this will be ready by August this year I don't think.

I'd prefer an uptick in quality and yes, definitely worth waiting for that

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

He doesn't like Kumail?

Pretty sure he said something about it.

I think he's pretty funny and a good fit for the show!

Our Flag Means Death was unable to find a new streaming home after Max canceled them :(

I can officially confirm that we’ve reached the end of the road. At least as far as this sweet show is concerned. After many complimentary meetings, conversations, etc it seems there is no alternate home for our crew. Thank you to all of you who sent us out with tremendous love and care. Your campaign was noticed across the industry. But more importantly it made all of us who worked on this show better able to deal with the loss.

To you wonderful fans: thank you. You are lovely and earnest. Those kinds of things feel in short supply at times. But they aren’t. A love like ours can’t disappear in an instant. When we see each other off in mystic, say hello. We won’t say goodbye, because we’re not leaving. We’re just taking a breather until next time we can share something together 💜🦄🏴‍☠️ #ourflagmeansdeath

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4OubZ0vpXr/

So I've never seen the Snowpiercer TV series, but it has the weirdest history

The pilot was shot in 2017 by director Scott Derrickson (Doctor Strange, The Black Phone).  Then TNT fired the guy who wrote it and was supposed to showrun the series.  The new showrunner wanted massive reshoots of the pilot and a completely different direction.  Derrickson refused to direct the requested reshoots so someone else did.  The rest of season 1 was filmed in 2018 but the first season didn't even air until 2020, after the second season had already been shot.  Then they ordered a third season before season 2 had even aired.

In 2021 they ordered a fourth season, which shot in 2022.  But meanwhile Zazlov had taken over TNT's parent company and cancelled the show.  Well now AMC has picked up the show and will air the fourth season, that was shot in 2022, next year in 2025.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/snowpiercer-amc-picks-up-season-4-1235858793/

I don't think I've even talked to anybody whose seen this show, but it sounds like a total mess behind the scenes.

Season 7 of Black Mirror will come out next year and feature an episode that continues the USS Callister story from Season 4

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/netflix-black-mirror-season-7-2025-uss-callister-1235851460/

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So I've never seen the Snowpiercer TV series, but it has the weirdest history

The pilot was shot in 2017 by director Scott Derrickson (Doctor Strange, The Black Phone).  Then TNT fired the guy who wrote it and was supposed to showrun the series.  The new showrunner wanted massive reshoots of the pilot and a completely different direction.  Derrickson refused to direct the requested reshoots so someone else did.  The rest of season 1 was filmed in 2018 but the first season didn't even air until 2020, after the second season had already been shot.  Then they ordered a third season before season 2 had even aired.

In 2021 they ordered a fourth season, which shot in 2022.  But meanwhile Zazlov had taken over TNT's parent company and cancelled the show.  Well now AMC has picked up the show and will air the fourth season, that was shot in 2022, next year in 2025.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/snowpiercer-amc-picks-up-season-4-1235858793/

I don't think I've even talked to anybody whose seen this show, but it sounds like a total mess behind the scenes.

I’ve seen it.

On 13/3/2024 at 4:42 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

This looks pretty good

I hope it's better than the trailer.

I'm a sucker for this genre, and loved the John Adams series. I recently read Walter Isaacson's bio of Franklin, so this should be aimed right at me. But..this modern trailer makes it look and feel like a modern action movie, complete with the quick cuts and typical action movie music.  It's just incongruous with the subject matter. I really hope this doesn't represent the tone of the actual series.

And while Michael Douglas is a fine actor, I fear he's been miscast as Franklin. Tom Wilkinson nailed that role (though we admittedly have little to go by).

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Still says Severance Season 2 will drop sometime "soon after" they finish shooting next month

"So 'Severance,' we're shooting it now,” said Stiller.

“It’s coming soon and we don't have an actual date but I've been working on the second season of it for a long time, since we had a strike, an actor and writer strike, back last year — it went from like May to October. So that cut us off for a while. And we're going to be shooting until probably like the end of April and it will be coming out sometime after that soon."

https://www.imore.com/music-movies-tv/apple-tv/weve-finally-got-a-severance-season-2-release-date-update-from-an-official-source-and-its-not-good-news

Now there is 1,000 episodes across the NCIS franchise.

See first look at NCIS franchise's explosive 1,000th episode
The franchise will cross the 1,000-episode threshold on April 15 and EW has the exclusive preview.

And I haven't seen a single one of them. Police procedurals are just not my thing.