Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

Doug Liman's next project is... not a movie, but a miniseries about "an American hedge fund manager who made his fortune in Moscow after the fall of the Soviet Union, and [...] his rise from nothing as he and his ragtag team battle and expose kleptocratic oligarchs, endemic corruption and the depravity of the Putin regime – culminating in a thriller as Browder faces off against the villainy of the Russian leader."

https://deadline.com/2022/03/doug-liman-russian-corruption-bill-browder-red-notice-1234980037/

On 16/03/2022 at 2:28 AM, Jay said:

They do be turning every movie into a show these days

As you've already learned, it was a book first, but the real drawcard for this series is that it was adapted and written by Steven Moffat of Doctor Who/Sherlock/Tintin, and the reigning king of non-chronological storytelling. I'm really excited for this one, but even more excited for the other show he's got coming called Inside Man and starring David Tennant and Stanley Tucci. What a team!

On 01/02/2022 at 3:17 PM, Jay said:

First trailer for The Offer, the upcoming miniseries about how the first Godfather film got made

New trailer for The Offer

"Only Murders in the Building" season 2 will premiere on June 28, 2022

"Following the shocking death of Arconia Board President Bunny Folger, Charles, Oliver & Mabel race to unmask her killer. However, three (unfortunate) complications ensue – the trio is publicly implicated in Bunny's homicide, they are now the subjects of a competing podcast, and they have to deal with a bunch of New York neighbors who all think they committed murder."

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey wow they got that 2nd season made fast!

How long ago did the first season wrap? It might've been in the can for a while before it was released.

I'm excited for the next month. Altanta, Barry and Better Call Saul all coming back, and all after lengthy hiatuses!

12 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

How long ago did the first season wrap? It might've been in the can for a while before it was released.

Nope. 

On 02/12/2021 at 10:25 AM, Jay said:

They started shooting Only Murders In The Building Season 2 yesterday

Additionally, Cara Delevingne has joined the cast

They just played a commercial for Only Murders In the Building 2 during the Oscars. Cara Delivigne fit right in. 

On 18/03/2022 at 12:52 PM, Docteur Qui said:

As you've already learned, it was a book first, but the real drawcard for this series is that it was adapted and written by Steven Moffat of Doctor Who/Sherlock/Tintin, and the reigning king of non-chronological storytelling. I'm really excited for this one, but even more excited for the other show he's got coming called Inside Man and starring David Tennant and Stanley Tucci. What a team!

Whoa! I knew it was one of Moffat's favourites, and a major inspiration behind much of his Doctor Who - it's got me to read the book in the first place. But I had no idea Moffat was involved in the new series. Exciting!

Wow this new Apple TV show Slow Horses coming out with Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott Thomas looks fun

Damn, didn't even know it was coming. I'm watching BCS now but I might get to this between S6 episodes...

James Wan is making Stinger for Peacock.

Stinger is a decent scifi horror novel from Robert McCammon. McCammon is Horner, to Koontz/Goldsmith, to King/Williams.

On 31/03/2022 at 9:33 AM, Holko said:

Damn, didn't even know it was coming. I'm watching BCS now but I might get to this between S6 episodes...

Are you watching it, Holko? I noticed that during episode 3 my mind was wandering, so much so, that I have the rewatch the whole episode. Everyone is constantly talking and worrying about Lila. Also, Elena still looks like a teen and not a succesful writer. Changing her hairstyle doesn't automatically make her one. Whatever it is that I loved about S1, it's no longer there. 

On 31/03/2022 at 5:38 PM, JoeinAR said:

McCammon is Horner, to Koontz/Goldsmith, to King/Williams.

For some reason, I cannot stand Koontz, although I’ve given him plenty of chances.

And speaking of authors that sell millions of books world wide that I don’t like, I feel the about with Grisham, but that’s h related to g s topic or anything mentioned here.

Never heard of McCammon. The book Stinger sounds… fantastical… I might’ve read this had I come across it at age 15, but now… no. But could be a fun watch on Netflix!

Spoiler

McCammon's novel "takes place during a single twenty-four hour period in Inferno, Texas. Inferno is a town in trouble, driven to the brink by racial tension, gang violence, and a collapsing economy. But things can always get worse, and they do so with astonishing speed when an unidentified spacecraft crash lands in the desert outside of town, followed by a second craft bearing the alien being who will soon be known as Stinger. Stinger is a kind of interstellar hunter on a mission he intends to complete, whatever the cost. He brings with him an endless array of technological marvels and an infinite capacity for destruction that threaten the existence of Inferno, its inhabitants, and the larger world beyond"

Koontz's new works are mostly ghost written now. Its awful stuff but his Watcher, Strangers, Tick-Tock, and Lightning are terrific efforts. Phantoms too. He has more pseudonyms than Zimmer has bad scores. 

McCammon has been around for a long time. In one of the Twilight Zone revivals they used one of his stories Nightcrawlers about a Vietnam veteran who manifests his nightly terrors of his time in Vietnam into the real world.

His best book, imho, is "Miine" about deranged woman who kidnaps a newborn and the mothers determination to get the child back.

I’ve given up on Koontz. I’ve been hurt too many times. I’ve been back again and again, always with the promise that it’ll be different this time. But it never is. I guess we just want different things. It’s time I realize that. I can’t keep making the same mistakes over and over again. I really think we could be happy elsewhere. Goodbye! Goodbye! Always remember me!

E4EFDEDB-53E5-4F5C-A4B4-BB41FAAFCDEC.jpeg

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I’ve given up on Koontz. I’ve been hurt too many times. I’ve been back again and again, always with the promise that it’ll be different this time. But it never is. I guess we just want different things. It’s time I realize that. I can’t keep making the same mistakes over and over again. I really think we could be happy elsewhere. Goodbye! Goodbye! Always remember me!

E4EFDEDB-53E5-4F5C-A4B4-BB41FAAFCDEC.jpeg

I have not read a new Koontz in years but I reread the ones I mentioned above. 

Brace yourselves for... The Sherlock Holmes Televised Universe!

Sherlock Holmes’ TV Universe in the Works at HBO Max

Robert Downey Jr. and Lionel Wigram will reteam to exec produce the franchise, which currently has two shows in early development.

I haven't seen the second season yet, so I'm avoiding the other thread for spoilers, but:

What the hell happened at the end? Did the music editor spill coffee over the console?

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Brace yourselves for... The Sherlock Holmes Televised Universe!

Sherlock Holmes’ TV Universe in the Works at HBO Max

Robert Downey Jr. and Lionel Wigram will reteam to exec produce the franchise, which currently has two shows in early development.

So how the Cumberbatch/Freeman BBC version ended up might NOT be the worst thing that happened to Sherlock Holmes in a long, long time?  

What was wrong with that show? I loved it!

Well, the first 3 seasons.  Season 4 was a huge letdown.

Love all four seasons of Sherlock. They were brillantly acted and directed with really good writing

Still curious about what they can do with RDJ's Holmes. I loved the first movie, the second one was pretty good so why not

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

What was wrong with that show? I loved it!

Well, the first 3 seasons.  Season 4 was a huge letdown.

Isn't that what he said?

The first 3 seasons were amazing, the 4th was a massive disappointment. Classical final Moffat season, I guess - although I liked his Who till the end.

I never liked RDJ as Sherlock. Does anyone who have actually read the books?

“Fun” as the movies might be (#1 > #2, if I remember correctly), the script(s) mistreat Holmes as a character and RDJ - although there’s nothing wrong with his performance - is terribly miscast in the role.