THE LAST OF US (HBO TV) - spoilers allowed for aired episodes (game spoilers masked)

Edmilson

On 21/02/2023 at 6:20 PM, Koray Savas said:

The rebar punctured the same spot where he got stabbed in the show. I understand the change, because

Reveal hidden contents

Woops, I misremembered something from the game once again.  I don't know why I thought it was the leg, must have been something else I watched with a leg rebar puncture.

On the official podcast they talk about how in the game you can get shot or stabbed all the time and heal yourself and keep playing, so having the cutscene injury be the rebar made more sense because it felt different from the kind of wound you can just fix right away when you're playing.  The show doesn't have that issue, so the stab is fine in that context.  Made a lot of sense to me.

Now that we’re back with Tommy and Jackson, the change to make Joel’s motivation to go out west to “save Tommy” makes even less sense to me.

Oh man, I couldn't disagree more, it makes perfect sense.  Show Joel is defined by a savior complex.  He lives for his family and that's basically it.  Even before Sara's death, he felt like he always had to save Tommy from one thing or another, including jail the night of the outbreak.  Since Sarah he's just doubled down on that, deciding to leave the safety of Boston QZ to "rescue" Tommy when he doesn't reply on the radio, and taking Ellie to the Fireflies out of devotion to Tess's last wish.  Everything tracks really well I think.

HBO Joel is a much nicer person than Game Joel, and I think that kinda betrays his character a bit. I’m confident both endings will be the same beat-for-beat, but ultimately the show isn’t as strong as the game, for me. 

Oh man, I dunno about that.  He was as cruel as can be to Ellie in the bedroom confrontation last episode, so much so that it was kind of amazing how quickly she still wanted to go with him the next morning.  And he was super mean to Tommy as well.  He's not really a nice guy.  He's built up a huge wall around his heart as a result of Sarah dying, and will do whatever is necessary including being cruel to people he loves to not risk getting that heart broken again.

On 22/02/2023 at 1:50 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I agree; the Kathleen stuff was the only part of the show which didn’t quite gel for me.

Yea!  I really have no issues with anything else.  Even when I am momentarily miffed they skipped past something cool from the game, that feeling subsides because its always replaced by something really cool that wasn't in the game.

On 22/02/2023 at 1:50 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Before I even got to Jay’s post, I was thinking that what that character needed to work was an actual flashback for HER, showing her both before and after her brother’s death (*showing* their final meeting rather than just having her *tell* us about it, maybe we even see her watching his execution). That would have made us connect with her emotionally rather than just hating her.

Oh man, I totally agree.  I still like my idea posted above somewhere of the first KC episode sticking with Joel and Ellie the whole time, but then the second KC episode should have told us both Sam/Henry and Kathleen/Michael's stories at the same time, with flashbacks, to parallel them better.  Oh well.

On 22/02/2023 at 5:12 PM, Docteur Qui said:

I feel like the scene is telling us a few deeper things about Tommy and Joel. It's implied that Tommy was encouraged not to contact Joel because it would put Jackson at risk of exposure over the radio. But it's also pretty clear that if Tommy really wanted to contact Joel he would have - he's a headstrong guy. The subtext is that Tommy is ashamed of Joel, of the things they did together, and of the things that Joel forced Tommy to do so they could "survive", and is cutting off contact. We're being invited to see Joel in a new, unflattering light, as a manipulator of Tommy. Whether or not we agree with that is up to us, but it's how Maria and Tommy feel about Joel (supported by Maria's sharp questioning to Ellie about Joel), and it's not entirely untrue based on what we know. All these layers are operating under the surface of this episode and adds a lot of richness to the performances. Great stuff.

Excellent analysis.  I think Tommy is more like Joel than he wants to admit.  They are both very stubborn.

On 22/02/2023 at 5:12 PM, Docteur Qui said:

I thought for a second that they might've been going down a different path. Then I remembered what show I was watching. You'll forgive me; 99% of adaptations make even dumber changes on a regular basis, I've been conditioned to expect the worst. :lol: 

Massive game spoiler, show-only peeps do not open!

Spoiler

In the game, it's explained that Ellie isn't actually immune, technically: She's infected, but the fungus in her has mutated, so doesn't control her brain or grow things outside of her, it's dormant basically.  Not sure exactly why breathing in spores from the non-mutated fungus don't do anything, but there you go.  So anyway, that's why they have to kill her in order to study her mutation and try to make a cure, they have to open up her skull and scrape the mutated fungus out of her.

Did anyone else read deeper into the dog not sniffing out Ellie’s cordyceps? I think it insinuates it’s not a fool proof method, and that this group has potentially killed innocent people in the past due to their dog’s reaction. Hence the River of Death mentioned earlier. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Massive game spoiler, show-only peeps do not open!

Hide contents

In the game, it's explained that Ellie isn't actually immune, technically: She's infected, but the fungus in her has mutated, so doesn't control her brain or grow things outside of her, it's dormant basically.  Not sure exactly why breathing in spores from the non-mutated fungus don't do anything, but there you go.  So anyway, that's why they have to kill her in order to study her mutation and try to make a cure, they have to open up her skull and scrape the mutated fungus out of her.

Replying directly to your spoiler:

Spoiler

I always took it that she is immune and it was her immunity that mutated the fungus in her body to stop it from spreading and taking her over.

I haven’t been commenting much but I am loving this show.  I love the games and had my doubts that they could pull this off but man, all they emotional beats are landing just as hard as they did while playing the game.

I wonder if there will even be a soundtrack release though because it sounds like they are just lifting tracks from the game and dropping them into the show.  I was a little disappointed to hear the game’s final scene/end credits music used in episode 6, while Joel and Ellie are on horseback after leaving Jackson.  I was hoping they would use that for the final scene and credits in the last episode but, I’m not sure they would reuse it again.

11 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Did anyone else read deeper into the dog not sniffing out Ellie’s cordyceps? I think it insinuates it’s not a fool proof method, and that this group has potentially killed innocent people in the past due to their dog’s reaction. Hence the River of Death mentioned earlier. 

I didn’t think of that, maybe.  I simply took it as the dog couldn’t detect it in Ellie but the FEDRA device still can detect it in the blood.  Also, the dog kinda of got it right though.  Is Ellie technically infected, yes but, she is immune from turning.  Maybe dogs only sense it once you have started to turn.  Or, like you said, the dogs just get it wrong sometimes and they have killed in innocent people.

On 22/02/2023 at 5:31 PM, Docteur Qui said:

To me it feels pretty consistent with how the show is illustrating Joel. He has narcissistic tendencies and a protector complex, even before the apocalypse his main purpose in life was bailing out Tommy from whatever shit he got himself into. Joel tells us as much in episode 4, and the events of the pilot lay it all out for us. Tommy goes off and gets in trouble, calls Joel, then Joel "reluctantly" goes off to help his little brother. But what kicks things off this time is that Tommy hasn't called Joel. And that's ringing alarm bells in Joel's head, so he goes off with Tess to try and figure out where he's gone. The reason being that Tommy never really needed Joel to bail him out, but Joel absolutely needed Tommy in his life to "save", or give his life purpose. You can see it in Pedro's eyes during the latest ep; Joel's so hurt that Tommy never called him.

Yup!  Good analysis

On 23/02/2023 at 11:43 AM, Koray Savas said:

Yeah it makes sense when you put it that way. I just prefer the characterization of Joel in the game. He’s supposed to be a selfish survivor, hardened over 20 years, whose humanity returns thanks to Ellie. 

Dude, there's still 3 episodes to go - give it time!

4 hours ago, rolltide1017 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Ahhh ok, that makes sense.  So her body was able to mutate the fungus, and by cutting it out her and studying it, they hope to learn how to put something in other people's bodies (a vaccine) that will mutate it in the same way.  That makes sense.

I'm pretty sure the game implies that the reason Ellie's body is safe from the fungus is because her mother got infected shortly before giving birth to her.... something I am positive the show will explore in the final episode of the season.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

4 hours ago, rolltide1017 said:

I didn’t think of that, maybe.  I simply took it as the dog couldn’t detect it in Ellie but the FEDRA device still can detect it in the blood.  Also, the dog kinda of got it right though.  Is Ellie technically infected, yes but, she is immune from turning.  Maybe dogs only sense it once you have started to turn.  Or, like you said, the dogs just get it wrong sometimes and they have killed in innocent people.

Well, I think that there are several possibilities about the dog scene, and I like that it's deliberately ambiguous and we can believe what we want.

The option I like the most is that there is not such thing as a dog that can sense cordyceps infection (or at least, this dog couldn't); The dog is simply trained to growl at strangers, approach them, then be friendly if they are friendly to them.  Essentially, it's a morality test to see what a new person does if they think they are in trouble.

Another option is that it would have sensed it on her, but Ellie had jerky in her pocket and become its friend instead :p 

Another option is that however the infection works, the FEDRA scanner can see it but a dog cannot.  She doesn't have fungus spreading throughout her after all, so that's just logical anyway.

But yes, the largest implication, as Koray hinted as, is that this tribe may indeed be looking for excuses to kill outsiders rather than having to take them in.  it's easy to gloss over, because the story large folllows Joel and Ellie's journey, but it's actually pretty dark what's happening in Jackson (in the show).  Tommy has hinted that they stay safe by keeping the community small and not letting "bad people" in.  Who judges who is bad, and with what criteria?  Marie mentioned having a jail but not needing it.. implying they just kill whoever they don't like.  If you think about it, we only saw Joel and Ellie let in because Marie happened to be out there and knew who Joel was.  We didn't see what they do to any other random strangers next after the dog check.

So much interesting morality stuff to discuss and debate in this world!

Spoilers for the games:

Spoiler

I am almost positive that Abby will now show up in the finale as will her dad in a more fleshed out way. The way they inserted Dina and Shimmer into Jackson shows that they’re willing to change the story slightly to have it line up with Part II more. Maybe we’ll see more of a dilemma before Joel shoots the doctor and we’ll see a little Abby and Owen running around the hospital.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, I think that there are several possibilities about the dog scene, and I like that it's deliberately ambiguous and we can believe what we want.

The option I like the most is that there is not such thing as a dog that can sense cordyceps infection (or at least, this dog couldn't); The dog is simply trained to growl at strangers, approach them, then be friendly if they are friendly to them.  Essentially, it's a morality test to see what a new person does if they think they are in trouble.

Another option is that it would have sensed it on her, but Ellie had jerky in her pocket and become its friend instead :p 

Another option is that however the infection works, the FEDRA scanner can see it but a dog cannot.  She doesn't have fungus spreading throughout her after all, so that's just logical anyway.

But yes, the largest implication, as Koray hinted as, is that this tribe may indeed be looking for excuses to kill outsiders rather than having to take them in.  it's easy to gloss over, because the story large folllows Joel and Ellie's journey, but it's actually pretty dark what's happening in Jackson (in the show).  Tommy has hinted that they stay safe by keeping the community small and not letting "bad people" in.  Who judges who is bad, and with what criteria?  Marie mentioned having a jail but not needing it.. implying they just kill whoever they don't like.  If you think about it, we only saw Joel and Ellie let in because Marie happened to be out there and knew who Joel was.  We didn't see what they do to any other random strangers next after the dog check.

So much interesting morality stuff to discuss and debate in this world!

I wasn’t thinking that nefariously but that’s possible! I was thinking along the lines of they think they’ve trained this drug sniffing dog or whatever to sniff out cordyceps and they actually trust that it works, when it doesn’t.

It would make sense to me that the dog would sniff it out, if it actually could, since the infected already sense that Ellie has the virus and don’t attack her. 

On the New Zealand itunes the score is already available. It's released tomorrow. 

66 cues. Almost 2 hours. Lot's of different credits.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/the-last-of-us-season-1-soundtrack-from-the/1673140222

On 24/02/2023 at 6:53 PM, MaxMovieMan said:

Spoilers for the games:

Hide contents

I am almost positive that Abby will now show up in the finale as will her dad in a more fleshed out way. The way they inserted Dina and Shimmer into Jackson shows that they’re willing to change the story slightly to have it line up with Part II more. Maybe we’ll see more of a dilemma before Joel shoots the doctor and we’ll see a little Abby and Owen running around the hospital.

Yea, it seems inevitable for sure.  Originally I was against the first season making any game 2 references, but they've handled all kinds of game 2 stuff great so far - showing Jackson, Ellie's astronaut dreams, Dina, Shimmer - so I think I'd be cool with something like what you described happening.

Speaking of game 2 stuff, 

Seems impossible that Pedro, Bella, Neil, and the official show account would all be following her if she had no involvement with the show

On 26/02/2023 at 12:50 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

On the New Zealand itunes the score is already available. It's released tomorrow. 

66 cues. Almost 2 hours. Lot's of different credits.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/the-last-of-us-season-1-soundtrack-from-the/1673140222

I would be very thankful and interested to see if somebody could make an episode breakdown of these tracks :)

2 hours ago, Exar Xan said:

I would be very thankful and interested to see if somebody could make an episode breakdown of these tracks :)

I didn’t even see that the album was out. Hooray! I’ll go through it and see which tracks are new and which aren’t.

Latest episode was okay -- I suppose flashback episodes are needed for both of the two main characters. I just hope it doesn't get bogged down in flashback episodes all the time. It's a plague in modern television (in an effort to "flesh out the characters", it just ends up halting narrative momentum). THE WALKING DEAD fell into that trap eventually. And I was just about to say how refreshingly "non-WALKING DEAD" THE LAST OF US was in the earlier episode, when the community in the city wasn't explored throughout multiple episodes, but rather ended quickly to allow the central journey of the two main characters to continue.

So let me just say that I'm both worried and hopeful at the time.

The Last Of Us 1x07 Left Behind

This was probably the weakest episode of the season, which doesn't mean it's a bad episode of television or anything, but one of these has to have that distinction!

My main problem was that it ended too soon; The entire Ellie/Riley story was done really well, and man, is it devastating when they are sitting there, knowing they will die within hours, 2 days at max.  BUT WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!?!?!

I don't actually remember if the game goes further or not, but that doesn't matter; I'd loved to have seen the remaining conversations they had as they waited to turn.  What happened when Riley turned.  Did Ellie shoot her in the head, is that what she referenced earlier?  How easy or hard was that for her to do?  What did she do immediately after?  How long did it take for Ellie to realize she wasn't going to turn?  How did she end up getting from there to captured by Marlene?

Likewise, I wanted a bit more of the main timeline Ellie and Joel.  I was shocked when the episode ended as she was stitching him!

So maybe my biggest problems will get completely nullified next week, we'll see!

Any other commentary I have is just stuff I loved from the DLC that wasn't here.

Spoiler

The squirt gun fight.  Trying on a bunch of different masks.  The glorious moment where the camera holds on a close-up of Ellie's face for minutes as she experiences the video game for the first time - I can't believe they didn't do that one!! (they kind of did a short version when Riley first turns the mall lights on).  In the modern day, the supply run Ellie has to go on, ending up in a mall with both hunters and infected, and being able to get them to fight each other.

Other than that, not a lot to say this week, I don't think!  It was nicely done that Riley's decision about not killing themselves immediately, instead enjoying every moment they have together while they can, is paralleled with present day Ellie decides not to abandon Joel but to do what she can to have more time with it.  But that's really about all there is in the big picture here!

It’s pretty much spot on in comparison to the game, even down to the song they dance to. This episode was written by Neil, after all.

I enjoyed it a lot. I thought both of the performances and the set design were excellent. 

I thought it was a very good, not great, episode. Yes I wanted to see more, both in the flashback and in the present day. But it was enough, IMO, all done incredibly well. And there was nothing in it that was remotely annoying or disappointing like the Kathleen stuff, so that puts it ahead of Episode 4 in my book (which didn’t have the benefit of Henry and Sam’s presence).

Yavar

I thought it was strange that the pun book was a gift from Riley, since it's a collectible you find in the game, but at least it explains why she randomly had it suddenly in an earlier episode

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The Last Of Us 1x07 Left Behind

I don't actually remember if the game goes further or not, but that doesn't matter; I'd loved to have seen the remaining conversations they had as they waited to turn.  What happened when Riley turned.  Did Ellie shoot her in the head, is that what she referenced earlier?  How easy or hard was that for her to do?  What did she do immediately after?  How long did it take for Ellie to realize she wasn't going to turn?  How did she end up getting from there to captured by Marlene?

Likewise, I wanted a bit more of the main timeline Ellie and Joel.  I was shocked when the episode ended as she was stitching him!

That’s almost exactly where the DLC ends although a little reversed.

Ellie gets back to Joel and starts to stitch him up then it cuts back to Ellie and Riley for the last little bit of their conversation and ends on a close up of Ellie wiping her tears away.  

Spoiler

Of course, the DLC had Ellie hiding Joel in an abandoned mall which is the trigger for all the flashbacks.  I was a little disappointed when the show already had them in the house basement and not a mall as well.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I thought it was strange that the pun book was a gift from Riley, since it's a collectible you find in the game, but at least it explains why she randomly had it suddenly in an earlier episode

It was also a gift from Riley in the DLC.  While you can find a copy of the book in the game near the end, Ellie actually already has it in her possession.  The first time she pulls it out at reads some jokes in not long after the start of the Pittsburg chapter.

15 minutes ago, rolltide1017 said:

That’s almost exactly where the DLC ends although a little reversed.

Ellie gets back to Joel and starts to stitch him up then it cuts back to Ellie and Riley for the last little bit of their conversation and ends on a close up of Ellie wiping her tears away.  

Reveal hidden contents

Yea, I was trying to figure out in my brain how it worked with the house and the mall

So is it like this?

Spoiler

In the main game, after Joel collapses from the rebar injury, it fades to black, says WINTER, and starts with the scene of her hunting rabbits, she eventually returns to Joel in the house, and leaves to get antibiotics causing her to run into David's crew, etc.

Then the DLC is like "actually, before they got to the house, they recovered in a mall, and had a big adventure with hunters and infected, and flashbacks to the night she got bit

Shame they cut the mall bit...

15 minutes ago, rolltide1017 said:

It was also a gift from Riley in the DLC.  While you can find a copy of the book in the game near the end, Ellie actually already has it in her possession.  The first time she pulls it out at reads some jokes in not long after the start of the Pittsburg chapter.

Wait, what?

My memory is that the pun book was a collectible you had to find, and if you never found it, those bits where she reads from it while walking around never happen.  

Am I just remembering completely wrong?  The pun bits happen no matter what?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea, I was trying to figure out in my brain how it worked with the house and the mall

So is it like this?

Hide contents

In the main game, after Joel collapses from the rebar injury, it fades to black, says WINTER, and starts with the scene of her hunting rabbits, she eventually returns to Joel in the house, and leaves to get antibiotics causing her to run into David's crew, etc.

Then the DLC is like "actually, before they got to the house, they recovered in a mall, and had a big adventure with hunters and infected, and flashbacks to the night she got bit

Yep, for the most part.  I just played the game in October so it is all pretty fresh.  

Spoiler

You meet David and another guy while hunting the rabbit.  He sends the guy back to camp to get the medicine.  You fight some infected.  Then David reveals that a man and a young girl killed some of their men, other guy returns with medicine and David lets you go while they other guy protest.  You return to the house and the next morning is when David’s men are search outside the house.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

My memory is that the pun book was a collectible you had to find, and if you never found it, those bits where she reads from it while walking around never happen.  

Am I just remembering completely wrong?  The pun bits happen no matter what?

There are a few just happen through out the game. Others you have to stand in a location and await awhile for a conversation prompt from Ellie.  There are something like 7 or 8 hidden jokes like that, mostly in the Pittsburg and Suburb chapters.  Near the end of the game you find a copy of the book, maybe it was vol 1, as a collectible.  I can’t remember if it was a different volume or the same on Ellie already had.  But, yes, she already has it and suddenly pulls it out of her pack early in the Pittsburgh chapter.

Right, I remembered that you triggered some by standing in certain spots, I just would have sworn that you had to find it first or you never get a chance for any of them to happen.

But I guess I was just wrong!  Damn my memory!

One thing I thought was strange about the episode was that halfway through the arcade scene, the camera slowly pans out and shows a nearby infected, who wakes up from the noise.

One issue is that it then takes him an absurdly long time before attacking them in the Halloween store. Why the delay?

Another issue is that Riley had been living in the mall for a week or so, right?  The way the camera revealed this guy, he wasn't really tucked away much.  How would she not have found it?

Another issue is that I thought those "stuck to the wall" type of infected were just that: stuck to the wall, and could never get up.  I'm pretty sure that's the case in the game, right?  I thought it was strange that this one not only got up, but was essentially just a run of the mill runner once he did.

It would have made a lot more sense if instead of showing this wall guy, the camera showed a random outside runner entering through the same hole they did, and eventually making its way to them.  Then Riley doesn't look like an idiot for missing this one, and there's no confusion about how this one survived on a wall with no daylight for years then became a normal fast runner after hearing noise

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Another issue is that I thought those "stuck to the wall" type of infected were just that: stuck to the wall, and could never get up.  I'm pretty sure that's the case in the game, right?  I thought it was strange that this one not only got up, but was essentially just a run of the mill runner once he did.

They can actually get out of the mushroom mass in the second game. And they're not clickers either.

I listened to the show's soundtrack on Spotify and have to admit I feel a bit let down by the lack of new themes.

It's either recycled or edited themes from the game or very basic suspense functional tracks. 

I guess the new comers might enjoy it but when you know the games' scores this is pretty boring to listen to.

16 minutes ago, Steffromuk said:

And they're not clickers either.

I didn't say he was a clicker, I said he was a runner

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I didn't say he was a clicker, I said he was a runner

I heard you well 😉 I was just saying they were neither runners or clickers. At least to me.

Ohhhhhhhhh I see what you're saying now

Isn't a runner just a generic term for a base infected?  Or are they a step up from a base infected?

Sony Classical is releasing a physical CD in Europe on Friday, March 31st

https://www.swiatksiazki.pl/the-last-of-us-season-1-soundtrack-from-the-hbo-original-series-6971056-muzyka.html

That says 1-CD, but it could get updated to say 2-CD later

Two things I am kind of surprised by now that we are almost at the end of the season

1 - there's been no guitar stuff AT ALL.  This is CRAZY!  There's so many memorable moments in the game tied to Joel playing the guitar and Ellie trying to learn.  Granted a lot of that is in the second game, but I am pretty sure that didn't come out of nowhere and there was guitar playing in the fist game, right?  I know we saw that Joel had a guitar in his apartment, but I'm still SERIOUSLY surprised they haven't had ANY guitar playing scenes at all!!!!

2 - changing the spores to tendrils seems to have been pointless after all.  They've cut just about every infected encounter that the game has, and the ones they kept have all been outdoors except for the Left Behind mall attack, so their excuse about not having the budget to visualize spores seems misplaced now.  On top of that, the whole "touch one tendril and it can communicate to all the infected nearby!" thing was a really nifty new idea on paper, but it has been COMPLETELY abandoned since introducing it.  Even tendrils coming out of infected's mouths was only a thing twice and never seen since.

I agree with you that #1 is a bit of a bummer. A casualty of abbreviating the storyline, I guess. But I hope we get something in the next couple episodes.

As for #2, I disagree. The point was to be more real world realistic regarding the rapid spread of the virus, but have it make sense with all your actors not wearing huge anti-spore masks (like Bill does for like two seconds in the show at one point). As for the tendril communication, I think we may still see more of that in the show. In fact, I thought possibly the latest episode had that wall-stuck infected guy sense Ellie and Riley, and maybe communicate through the tendrils to other infected, who actually bit them. I hadn't realize the same guy had definitely pulled himself off the wall he was stuck to, lol. Though I was surprised that only one infected showed up to attack them, rather than several like in the game's DLC.

Yavar

After a few busy weeks I finally caught up with this show and I have to say that it keeps getting better and better. The character studies of people in the end of the world situation are so good and even if some characters only appear in one episode they make a big impact. Sam and Henry and Riley in episode 7.

I think episode 7 was almost the most difficult to watch because while you see Ellie and Riley having a good time in the mall, you know how the night will end. It’s like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off and this is properly great storytelling. I haven’t played the games but I’m completely invested in the story and the world building. The progression of Ellie’s relationship with Joel is really well done and with the flashback episode 7, you get to know more about Ellie’s side of things which was great.

I can’t wait to see the final 2 episodes and hopefully they’re about an hour or longer.

All great, valid points.

I guess I was more lamenting that they didn't take their new tendrils idea to any new heights after introducing the concept, I shouldn't have muddied my thoughts with spore talk

On 2/3/2023 at 2:11 PM, Jay said:

Two things I am kind of surprised by now that we are almost at the end of the season

1 - there's been no guitar stuff AT ALL.  This is CRAZY!  There's so many memorable moments in the game tied to Joel playing the guitar and Ellie trying to learn.  Granted a lot of that is in the second game, but I am pretty sure that didn't come out of nowhere and there was guitar playing in the fist game, right?  I know we saw that Joel had a guitar in his apartment, but I'm still SERIOUSLY surprised they haven't had ANY guitar playing scenes at all!!!! 

There were no guitar playing/singing moments in the first game. Those were all in the second game. The only time it is even really mentioned in the first game is when Joel admits to Ellie, at the University, about wanting to be a singer. Ellie ask him to sing, he says no but promises to teach her to play when they get back to Jackson. 

Oh wow ok! I totally misremembered that. 

Looking forward to guitar scenes in season 2!

I like that as well. Lots of little hints, Easter eggs that they couldn’t do at the time of the first game for obvious reasons. I’m excited to see if they have any big hints in the final episode. I could see them going either way and I will not be disappointed if they don’t, especially with the known run time. It is an opportunity they didn’t have back in 2003 2013.