What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2020 films)

Matt C

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

For something (what with being a live-action remake) that's not even original content? Absolutely outrageous. 

That’s roughly the same price as two tickets if you went to a theater. Except you keep the film as long as you’re a subscriber. I think that’s completely fair. 

Indeed, it's better to wait until you can watch it for "free". 

Unless you're a Mulan stan and have been anticipating that movie for months, I believe people should wait. Let's not feed Mickey Mouse anymore than its already fed.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:36 AM, Glóin the Dark said:

Can't wait to read your explanation of what was happening!

Watched this again. It's good. It's also a lot darker this second time around, oddly enough. And while it's no horror film in the genre-sense, he definitely plays his existential beats with a strikingly ominous horror-esque tone.

It's perhaps Kaufman's most "intimate"/smallest film, but also maybe his coldest. His films, however indulgent, have always kept their emotions on its sleeve. But there is distance here, between viewer and characters.

Still, I'm just really glad Kaufman is still given spaces to create work. He's an important voice.

My understanding of the narrative:

Spoiler

Jake, the janitor, thinks back to the time he lost the nerve to go out and ask the Girlfriend out, and ends up imagining various scenarios of what a life with the Girlfriend could have been like (taking her to his parents' place, having her support while he gets the "Nobel Prize", etc). The ballet seems to be a visualization of his self-loathing neuroses overcoming a more idealistic, maybe even romantic version of himself, leading him to surrender to a life wasted, full of regret. And with the help of the talking pig, he makes some sort of peace with that as he dies of hypothermia.

Yea...it's not exactly a Zemeckis flick ;)

23 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That’s roughly the same price as two tickets if you went to a theater. Except you keep the film as long as you’re a subscriber. I think that’s completely fair. 

Admittedly I hadn't taken account of how many could potentially watch it for the $30 and didn't know you could keep it afterwards. What with living alone, I doubt I could justify 30 quid to watch a movie even with getting to keep it afterwards ... the Blu-Ray would cost me around half that. 

Tenet box-office second weekend: $6,7 million

That's roughly 20 million in two weeks. Tenet has do make like half a billion to make even.

Where is crocs when Nolan needs him?

Suspect Bill And Ted Face The Music will probably do better, both because it won't have cost anywhere near as much as Tenet and because its goofy good-naturedness will be more welcome right now than Nolan's head-scratcher.  

I'm sure they assumed Nolan's film would have been a surefire hit under normal circumstances too. And I have a feeling Nolan himself was pushing to get his film out as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I'm sure they assumed Nolan's film would have been a surefire hit under normal circumstances too. 

Yes. Firstly, it's Nolan, a name that draws audiences to theatres. Secondly, the trailer promises an Inception like movie.

If I remember correctly, it was performing strongly worldwide. But it’s the domestic grosses that haven’t been faring well.

There's a reson for Tenet's underperformance at the US: theaters in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco are still closed, and these are the cities where Nolan's movies perform best. Since they apparently are only opening in October, so Warner pushed WW84 to December so that people in NY and LA have the chance to watch Tenet in theaters.

But yeah, general consensus is that the movie failed to bring people back to the theaters. I recommend reading this article from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/09/14/box-office-tent-nolan-wonder-woman-james-bond-mulan-movies/#1bf107a37cd4

I drive by a drive-in movie theater everytime I go to the office and it's been open all summer, but other than a brief period where it was showing Invisible Man and The Hunt it always lists classic films on the marquee.  I think right they have Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller or something like that

No idea about indoor theaters near me, we haven't bothered to check

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Are theaters open in the US generally? Everything is still shut down in the DC area. 

The 8 screen multiplex in my town is open here in Virginia.  It's playing a mix of old movies and what new releases there are (Tenet).  Show times are pretty limited, mask is required, half capacity only, etc. etc.  I saw the new Bill & Ted here a few weeks back.

image.png

On 9/14/2020 at 7:54 AM, AC1 said:

Tenet box-office second weekend: $6,7 million

That's roughly 20 million in two weeks. Tenet has do make like half a billion to make even.

Where is crocs when Nolan needs him?

Why are you  doing Edmilsons job?

He lives to give box office results and you've taken that away from him .

You monster!

😉

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So, another crap movie from Crapflix? They invest so much money in original programming, yet most of it suck.

6/10 isn't sucky. It's simply not very good either. It starts quite good but gets repetitive in the second half. And it's certainly not a movie I want to watch again.

Rotten Tomatoes scores for The Devil All The Time:

Critics of all sorts: : 68%

Audience great and small: 89% (probably Pattinson fanatics)

Bonus score:

IMDb: 7.3/10 (but only 5000 entries so that's still going to change)

Metacritic:

57/100

I haven't watched The Devil All the Time yet, but so far most Netflix movies I've seen this year are pretty bad. That one with Thor rescuing a young boy is mildling at best, and that one where Charlize Theron is an immortal woman was ass.

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I haven't watched The Devil All the Time yet, but so far most Netflix movies I've seen this year are pretty bad. That one with Thor rescuing a young boy is mildling at best, and that one where Charlize Theron is an immortal woman was ass.

Critics thought Uncut Gems was a near masterpiece. Then there's I'm Thinking Of Ending Things, another favorite of the critics

Maybe they are too arthousy? :mellow:

On 9/15/2020 at 9:52 AM, Edmilson said:

There's a reson for Tenet's underperformance at the US: theaters in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco are still closed, and these are the cities where Nolan's movies perform best. Since they apparently are only opening in October, so Warner pushed WW84 to December so that people in NY and LA have the chance to watch Tenet in theaters.

But yeah, general consensus is that the movie failed to bring people back to the theaters. I recommend reading this article from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/09/14/box-office-tent-nolan-wonder-woman-james-bond-mulan-movies/#1bf107a37cd4

The reason is the film SUCKS ASS. 

On 9/15/2020 at 7:26 AM, AC1 said:

They wanted to save the theaters.

The theatres will survive. Its still the ABSOLUTE best way to see a film. 

4 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

The theatres will survive. 

Maybe, but they had a rough year and Tenet was their last hope to turn the tide. And from what I hear, AMC theatres are in financial trouble. 

46 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Critics thought Uncut Gems was a near masterpiece. Then there's I'm Thinking Of Ending Things, another favorite of the critics

Uncut Gems is not a Netflix original movie, it's an A24 film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A24_films#2010s

Outside the US, it's technically a Netflix Original.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/when-will-uncut-gems-be-on-netflix-2020/#:~:text=It's technically a Netflix Original,as of January 31st%2C 2020.

And checking Netflix here, it indeed says 'Netflix Original'. 

It's still a movie that only exists because A24 funded its making, Netflix simply picked up rights to stream it after the fact.

This is different from all the other movies mentioned above, which only exist because Netflix funded them

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's still a movie that only exists because A24 funded its making, Netflix simply picked up rights to stream it after the fact.

What do you mean "after the fact"? After they made the movie?

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I loved Uncut Gems, but it isn't a Netflix original as already said on this thread. They didn't produce the film, only distributed it outside of the US.

I haven't watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things, but people say it's good. Maybe is an exception compared to other poor movies released by Netflix.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

I loved Uncut Gems, but it isn't a Netflix original as already said on this thread. They didn't produce the film, only distributed it outside of the US.

I haven't watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things, but people say it's good. Maybe is an exception compared to other poor movies released by Netflix.

Which is why it's officially a Netflix Original because there would be no Uncut Gems outside the US without distribution. 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Critics thought Uncut Gemswa s  near masterpiece.

Audiences didn't. Even Thor hated it! 😆

Piece of crap that I stopped watching halfway thru.

31 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Which is why it's officially a Netflix Original because there would be no Uncut Gems outside the US without distribution. 

Rightm

It's so awful it couldn't get theatrical distribution

14 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Audiences didn't.

Audience: Adam Sandler doesn't have superpowers? Boring!

14 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It's so awful it couldn't get theatrical distribution

It was released theatrically in the US (limited release). Outside the US, teens are only interested in superpowers, Bond, Nolan, and lightsabers.

40 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I believe that for a movie or TV show to be called a Netflix Original, it needs to be produced BY Netflix. In Uncut Gems' case, it wasn't produced by Netflix, they didn't invest any money in the making of the movie. They just distributed it.

But that's just semantics, I think, we can argue about this for hours without reaching a consent :lol:

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I believe that for a movie or TV show to be called a Netflix Original, it needs to be produced BY Netflix. In Uncut Gems' case, it wasn't produced by Netflix, they didn't invest any money in the making of the movie. They just distributed it.

But that's just semantics, I think, we can argue about this for hours without reaching a consent :lol:

I know, but what  if I told you they were only able to make this movie thanks to Netflix? A theatrical release in the US is risky (and very expensive) but a Netflix international distribution deal makes all the difference. No distribution, no movie. That's how it has always been. Yes, officially Netflix didn't act as producer but who do you think paid the biggest check? They (the Safdies) already won before they made the movie. And that gives Netflix the right to call it a Netflix Original (outside the US).