The ALIEN FRANCHISE Appreciation thread.

It's a bit strange - as if a xenomorph is taking off its exo skeleton suit, revealing a human woman underneath. I think the SPECIES design is more organic that way:

cf6b40a12760dd4afbd9fce6ffcefd81.jpg

4 hours ago, A24 said:

Alien species visited (and influenced) the Inca?

It did, if you take AvP into account (a mish-mash of Inca, Aztec, Egyptian, what-have-you), or the intro in PROMETHEUS. But obviously, SPECIES predates these and is not related to the ALIEN universe at all (AFAIK), so that can't be it. To be honest, I don't know why the face appears so mask-like. They maintained that in the actual film creature as well. It's been a long time since I saw the film, so I can't remember if this was addressed.

Species-Sil.jpg?fit=1118,628&ssl=1

Then there's the ancient pyramid link in Alien v Predator!

Are all the franchises connected?! :o

Are we just a species that other species have engineered? :o

Are we just meant to be food or prey?

A forgotten experiment?

• 3 weeks later...

One of the least family friendly franchises in Hollywood is getting a book aimed at pre-schoolers.

Disney Is Releasing an Alien Storybook for Kids

Alien is getting the Little Golden Book treatment with an official storybook from Disney.

image.png

https://www.cbr.com/alien-kids-book-disney/

Up next: learn all the names for colors (including every tonality for red) with your buddy Leatherface on the new book "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for Kids"!

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Thor said:

He, he. Napped by Jonesy while having its first skin shedding; that would have made a short film. :D

Until he bites down. 

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Yes. It was a rhetorical question that had no indication as such.

Oh. Ok. In that case, it's a rhetorical xenomorph, but I'm not indicating that :)

On 01/01/2024 at 2:40 AM, A. A. Ron said:

Either X is for The X-Files or X is for X-Men.

Now, just a damn minute!

You caught me up, from seven hours ago, but you let that ride, from January 1st?!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Hopefully not the so called director's cut.

That is the only version, that I saw in cinema.

Wasn't that only available with the first DVD box release some 20 years ago? Did you attend some special screening since then?

I prefer the original cut of ALIEN, but more and more over the years, I've turned to the extended cut just because it has something new - like the entombed Dallas. When you've seen a film close to 100 times, that becomes important.

For ALIENS, there is no doubt -- it's the director's cut all the way! But we've talked about all this earlier in the thread.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Hopefully not the so called director's cut.

That is the only version, that I saw in cinema.

Will definitely be the theatrical cut. The "director's cut" was seemingly never mastered in 4K; the recent UHD release actually upscaled the director's cut scenes from 1080p to 4K.

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wasn't that only available with the first DVD box release some 20 years ago? Did you attend some special screening since then?

No. When this cut first came out (was it the late 90s or early 2000s?) it was regularly shown at the cinemas, at least here in Germany. This was no special screening.

This was where I recognized that the Nostromo really looked like more kind of a cardboard model and less like the giant spaceship, that I knew from television. Still visually impressive.

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

When this cut first came out (was it the late 90s or early 2000s?)

I think it was specifically made for the 2003 Quadrilogy DVD set purely because all the other 3 also had alternate cuts included, not because anyone especially including Scott particularly wanted to do it.

Yep, and I think the "special edition" of Resurrection was for similar reasons. Not because JPJ had any interest in revisiting the film, but just to make sure all 4 films had multiple cuts.

I've never had the patience to watch that alternate cut to see what was added. Presumably nothing of worth.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

I think it was specifically made for the 2003 Quadrilogy DVD set purely because all the other 3 also had alternate cuts included, not because anyone especially including Scott particularly wanted to do it.

As I said, I don't think so. The director's cut, same as the Bladerunner director's cut came out as a regular movie in cinemas, around here at least.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

As I said, I don't think so. The director's cut, same as the Bladerunner director's cut came out as a regular movie in cinemas, around here at least.

Well whatever you may think, wiki also says it was made for the boxset and once it was done, it was shown in theatres, already a month before the boxset came out. They didn't do it in SD only.

Maybe Geratewohl is confusing it with ALIENS?

Or was there some other kind of director's cut of ALIEN that predates the Quadrilogy set version?

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Maybe Geratewohl is confusing it with ALIENS?

No I don't confuse it with Aliens. I am not aware of the Aliens extended cut ever playing in cinemas. But the Alien director's cut did.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Or was there some other kind of director's cut of ALIEN that predates the Quadrilogy set version?

No, it is exactly the version in the Quadrology box set.

But could you have seen it in 2003 or thereabouts, when the set came out? You said 'early 2000s' yourself.

I remember the directors cut of Alien (the same cut as in the Quadrilogy DVD box set) being in theaters.  I'm pretty sure I went out and saw it at the cinema.  And I'm pretty sure it was not too long before the Quadrilogy box set came out.

For Aliens, I saw that extended cut via a friend who had a laserdisc player, years before the Quadrilogy set.

Yes, ALIENS' extended cut has been around for a long time prior to the Quadrilogy set. But ALIEN hasn't.

The Alien extended cut was in theaters in 2003. I dragged my fiance to it.

ANYWAY, I wish they were showing Aliens (theatrical cut, please) in cinemas just because my kids have now seen Alien but not Aliens yet.

14 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The Alien extended cut was in theaters in 2003. 

Funny enough, the DC is one minute shorter than the original release (which is the only true DC).

1 minute ago, A24 said:

Funny enough, the DC is one minute shorter than the original release (which is the only true DC).

Isn't Blood Simple shorter?

2 hours ago, A24 said:

Huh? 

The DC of Blood Simple is also shorter. Making another Director's CUT.

Ahhhh. You were saying that the so called Director's Cut is NOT a Director's Cut and that the 1979 release IS the Director's Cut. And the run time was just random trivia.

(Random trivia on JWFan! I never thought I'd see the day!)

9 hours ago, Thor said:

... was there some other kind of director's cut of ALIEN that predates the Quadrilogy set version?

There are only two cuts of ALIEN which are available commercially. I saw the "Director's Cut" of ALIEN, at my local cinema, in the fall of 2003, a few weeks before it was included in the Quadrilogy.

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Isn't Blood Simple shorter?

No. You'll see what I mean:

ALIEN

BLOOD SIMPLE.

You see? It's longer.

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There are only two cuts of ALIEN which are available commercially. I saw the "Director's Cut" of ALIEN, at my local cinema, in the fall of 2003, a few weeks before it was included in the Quadrilogy.

No. You'll see what I mean:

ALIEN

BLOOD SIMPLE.

You see? It's longer.

There's no "Glaring but admiring" emoji.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder, guys...

The 45th Anniversary rerelease starts tomorrow!

IMG_4136.jpeg

At last I watched Alien with my son and he was not impressed at all. The creature wasn't frightening at all. A friend of his played with an alien skin in fortnite, which made the creature design rather look funny to him.

It's this usual effect like watching Lego Darth Vader in the Yoda Chronicles which makes him look rather ridiculous in the actual movies.

I don't think my teenagers were scared like crawling over the backs of their chairs scared. (But then, neither was I.) But it was scary enough and they liked the movie.

Now playing Alien: Isolation? Whoooo, that's different. :D

We should watch The Thing while they're still young enough to be messed up. :devil: