The ALIEN FRANCHISE Appreciation thread.

57 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What did you watch?

Gran Turismo. Loved it.

I didn't see Alien until 1986 and I was 17. On a decent (for the time - so, small) TV set. I think almost every story beat had already made its way into the public consciousness. But it was still great. THEN we got in the car and drove to see Aliens on the biggest screen in the city! That was a hell of a night!

20 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Of course the chest burster scene (I knew it from the picture book) was more or less cut out. But still I managed to see the film and that was really exciting. I was probably still 12 or 13 or so.

What? They did that in Germany? I know you dub films, but cutting out central scenes like that is taking it too far. :)

Leading up to the film, I vowed to not look at any material from ALIEN. I shunned all magazines, poster books, bubblegum cards, and the like. I refused to watch anything about it, on television. I wanted it to be really fresh.

I bought "The Book Of Alien", by Scanlon and Cross, but I read it after I'd seen the film.

It paid off. I had no expectations going into the movie. I'd not seen THE DUELISTS, so I had no idea of Scott's previous work. The only thing I had seen was the famous (in the UK, at least) Hovis TV advertisement, with Dvorak playing in the background.

To say that ALIEN had as profound an effect on me as CE3K did, would be to tell an untruth, but I know that I will never see a scarier film, and that counts for a lot.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

My next encounter was in a book store. I used to hang around as a kid in book stores watching movie books, of course specially those dealing with science fiction and horror. There was a picture book telling the whole Alien movie story with frame by frame pictures and a little text for each image, like a comic. That was quite exciting. I was probably 12 or so.

I think I have that picture book you are talking about. I'll post a photo tomorrow. 

I wish I could remember the first time I saw Alien or Aliens, but I do not.  It was all part of the melange of movies I watched as a kid over and over again

I've never seen a single Alien film. (Don't hate me)

Maybe the only big franchise which I haven't seen any film from. But I'm getting to it, with watching all kinds of older films.

The only things I have seen from the films is the chest burst scene from Alien (because it was in a documentary about film once when I was younger). I thought it was quite disturbing.

And I saw the "Get Away From Her You Bitch" line. But just the line, no context.

I am looking forward to it, because even if I've seen those 2 moments it's been such a long time, so it's gonna be great to see them in context of the film

I don't like what they did with the characters and franchise as a whole after the original two movies.

Better to imagine what Ripley, Hicks, and Newt's life was like after the second movie than the stories we officially got as films.

I wish Blomkamp has been able to make his direct followup to Aliens that ignored the rest.   A shame it didn't happen.

Aliens is a profoundly stupid movie, but it's fun. Bill Paxton is a highlight, for sure. I found Alien 3 kind of dull, but it was decent enough time. I could probably go my whole life without seeing it again. Alien Resurrection, well...Sigourney Weaver is having a lot of fun, and that's entertaining to watch. I still think Prometheus is a legitimacy good movie. Covenant is a movie that exists, and you can pay to watch, and sit on a couch, and eat pizza, or some other meal of convenience and inertia, while doing so.

If you are sensitive to art, you'll prefer Alien.

If you are more of the entertainment type, then you'll prefer Aliens.

This is the way.

And Jay is right, ignore the rest of the franchise.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I just was imagining getting such a statement from a waiter in a restaurant after asking him for a recommendation from the menu.

"Maybe order and eat everything and then make up your own mind."

I never ask the waiter for recommendations, either, so what do I know. 

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Why Alien3 is so underrated here? I love it! Ok, it's not better than the first 2, but also worth seeing it.

Oh, that's an understatement. It's a bloody masterpiece! Still Fincher's best film, IMO, and one of the best of the 90s in general. Sure, I was also bummed out by its doom and gloom when I watched it as a 15-year-old (my first ALIEN film in the theatre too!), but it has grown and grown and grown since then, after endless reviewings.

As for which cut to see, there is no original cut for me anymore, of any of the films. Only the director's cut/extended cuts. For ALIENS, in particular, the film breathes on a whole other level in its extended cut, "20 miles of bad road", as JC says in the intro on the DVD set.

I love Alien but can't really remember the first time I saw it... I guess on the telly as a child with my mom, who I guess has been a fan since the 70s. (But I doubt she has seen any of the sequals :P.)

Can't really say which of the two different cuts of Alien I prefer, they both have merits.

I also don't get why Alien 3 can't get the love it deserves, it's such an atmospheric movie. And the Assembly Cut is better than the Theatrical Cut, by many miles!

I never really cared much for the Director's Cut of Aliens, I think the theatrical cut is leaner and more tightly paced.

So my ranking would be:

Alien > Alien 3 (The Assembly Cut) > Aliens (Theatrical Cut)

In every single respect, ALIEN is the best film of the franchise, by a country mile, but... ALIEN ³ will always be my favourite.

For me it goes: ALIEN ³ (ASSEMBLY CUT) > ALIEN (I DON'T GIVE A SHIT WHAT CUT) > ALIENS (EXTENDED CUT).

While there are certainly elements to the expanded Aliens that I enjoy (the auto-guns!) the inclusion of seeing the colony up and running before hand has more downside than upside for me. It kills some of the mystery of having no idea what to expect when the marines arrive. It's a really cool collection of scenes to see as a bonus feature though.

It's kind of like the expanded Abyss - There are a ton of character moments that are awesome and absolutely belong in the film. But the heavy handed "NUCLEAR WEAPONS ARE BAD!" The Day the Earth Stood Still ending is just hard for me to stomach. (The acting goes down a notch as well.)

19 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I've never seen a single Alien film. (Don't hate me)

Same for me for the originals.

I've seen Resurrection once on TV. Seemed a standard, silly popcorn movie. I've also seen Prometheus and Covenant and loved both.

8 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I like all the added scenes except the colony before hand :/

I was put under a spell at some point, that makes me believe there are no sequels when I watch Alien, and that there's no Alien when I watch Aliens.

I see the logic in that.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here seen Green Room (2015)? It's very tense and brutal. I revisited the movie yesterday and while I was watching I kept thinking to myself this Jeremy Saulnier guy should make an Alien movie. Can't think of anyone else who would be better suited.

9b068208-ddee-480e-be49-2376d7655ab3-gre

Yeah, Patrick Stewart is pretty creepy in Green Room. So I did me some googling for a sec and I guess I found the reason why Ridley Scott's Alien popped into my head. According to Cinefix, Alien and Green Room are basically the same movie.

THE GREEN ROOM was OK. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on MUBI, I see, even if I can't remember much of the plot anymore. As for Saulnier, I found his BLUE RUIN severely overrated (critics loved it!), while the Netflix film HOLD THE DARK is actually better than its reputation (again a story about survival).

I wouldn't be opposed to an ALIEN film from him, but he's definitely not a first choice. I can think of several other directors I'd rather see instead.

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

As for Saulnier, I found his BLUE RUIN severely overrated (critics loved it!) ...

Now I really want to see Blue Ruin. As a thriller, Green Room impressed me more than Prometheus or Covenant, it even felt more like Alien, as in, I genuinly felt the threat the protagonists were facing. Then there were the confined spaces, the tense factor, the raw vibe ... It only gets a 7/10 from me because I didn't always find everything logical, but Saulnier did a lot of things right, IMO.

40 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

JJ Abrams could direct a remake.

Didn't he already destroy enough?!

42 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Didn't he already destroy enough?!

The Alien franchise lies in ruins anyway, if you ask me. 

But right, JJ is the living proof, that with the right ambition and skill the lowest of the lowest expectation can get disappointed. 

Can't be under appreciated how seismic EG was in 1992. The same kind of breakout as Arnold had in 1994. These are not possible anymore as everything sounds like Lorne/Hans nonsense. HGW is okay but - the below is like a God composing music to a horror film. That does not happen with a Balfe score.......

• 2 months later...

H.R. Giger made two sculptures of his Alien monster, a male and a female, which he was asked to show the people of 20th Century Fox, Ridley Scott, Walter Hill and Gordon Carroll. They rejected the female alien and approved the male version.

Spoiler

Schermafbeelding-2023-12-12-125208.jpg

Apparently this is the female version that got rejected. It's not a replica. The owner wanted to sell it for at least 25.000 Euro. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I wonder if it was that female model Giger used when he designed the alien in SPECIES?

No idea but here's a shot which provides a little more detail:

Spoiler

Schermafbeelding-2023-12-12-125114.jpg