94th Academy Awards (2022 ceremony for 2021 films)

Jay

14 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

Yep.

So Zimmer now has more Oscars for best score than James Horner, Georges Delerue, Danny Elfman, John Powell, JNH… god, who else am I forgetting? All of them far more talented than the man of the D minor chord and horn of doom. 

One more oscar and he’ll be in striking distance of JW—meaning he’ll be even more considered by the inane internet as JW’s equal—and it’s sickening to see how much of that he already gets.

Zimmer fans are over the moon today, and I’m happy for them. But I’m absolutely dejected for every more-deserving composer in Hollywood waiting for their moment.

Just now, Bayesian said:

So Zimmer now has more Oscars for best score than James Horner, Georges Delerue, Danny Elfman, John Powell, JNH…

And Thomas Newman (who should've won in 94 for Shawshank Redemption), Ennio Morricone (who should've won in 86), Jerry Goldsmith...

13 minutes ago, JTW said:

And they wonder why people don’t care about the Oscars. Hans and his team of ghostwriters winning the Oscar. He said he had already written an hour and a half of “music” for DUNE Part 2 that hasn’t even started filming. What a joke this man is. 

Given how much music in the first Dune Pt. 1 album didn't get used, I don't think he's being hyperbolic in the slightest.

It's the only recent score I've heard any normie even discuss, so you'd have to be speaking for a very specific crowd if this is what will make audiences not take the Oscars seriously.

9 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

So Zimmer now has more Oscars for best score than James Horner, Georges Delerue, Danny Elfman, John Powell, JNH… god, who else am I forgetting? All of them far more talented than the man of the D minor chord and horn of doom. 

One more oscar and he’ll be in striking distance of JW—meaning he’ll be even more considered by the inane internet as JW’s equal—and it’s sickening to see how much of that he already gets.

Zimmer fans are over the moon today, and I’m happy for them. But I’m absolutely dejected for every more-deserving composer in Hollywood waiting for their moment.

Silvestri, David Newman, Fenton, Isham, Young, Burwell, Harry Gregson-Williams, Poledouris, Kamen etc. have NO Oscars, and Zimmer

has two! Crazy…

4 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Given how much music in the first Dune Pt. 1 album didn't get used, I don't think he's being hyperbolic in the slightest.

It's the only recent score I've heard any normie even discuss, so you'd have to be speaking for a very specific crowd if this is what will make audiences not take the Oscars seriously.

We’re talking Zimmer fanboys and girls who think he’s the greatest genius since Beethoven. They saw the film, heard the effects and think wow, this music is awesome. They have been conditioned by Zimmer’s minimalistic crap for years. 

14 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Horner and Powell probably should have won at least 1. But if anything, Zimmer should have won more. Zimmer imo, should have won 3 (The Lion King, Interstellar, and Gladiator. 

And I disagree with you on the talented part. Zimmer's problem when comparing to other top composers is that he isn't educated. I don't think talent is an issue. 

5 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Horner and Powell probably should have won at least 1. But if anything, Zimmer should have won more. Zimmer imo, should have won 3 (The Lion King, Interstellar, and Gladiator. 

And I disagree with you on the talented part. Zimmer's problem when comparing to other top composers is that he isn't educated. I don't think talent is an issue. 

Horner did win, two for Titanic. 

Danny Elfman didn’t have a formal musical education, either, yet he’s much more talented than Zimmer and has no Oscar.

8 minutes ago, JTW said:

Silvestri, David Newman, Fenton, Isham, Young, Burwell, Harry Gregson-Williams, Poledouris, Kamen etc. have NO Oscars, and Zimmer

has two! Crazy…

We’re talking Zimmer fanboys and girls who think he’s the greatest genius since Beethoven. They saw the film, heard the effects and think wow, this music is awesome. They have been conditioned by Zimmer’s minimalistic crap for years. 

If anything, Zimmer should have more than 2 regardless of whether those other composers should have won one. 

And your take on Zimmer fans is garbage. Maybe casual Zimmer fans think that. The Lion King, Gladiator, At World's End, WW84, The Prince of Egypt, Beyond Rangoon...I like Zimmer far more than just his minimalistic scores. 

EDIT: You think Mark Isham should have won over Aladdin?

1 minute ago, JTW said:

Horner did win one for Titanic. 

Forgot about that. But absolutely deserving. Titanic is underrated, even among Horner fans. A transcendent score imo. 

1 minute ago, HunterTech said:

Titanic is underrated?

Yes. I remember over the years a lot of Horner fans dismissed it when they see it listed a top 5 Horner score. "Titanic is not even close to Horner's best." 

7 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

If anything, Zimmer should have more than 2 regardless of whether those other composers should have won one. 

And your take on Zimmer fans is garbage. Maybe casual Zimmer fans think that. The Lion King, Gladiator, At World's End, WW84, The Prince of Egypt, Beyond Rangoon...I like Zimmer far more than just his minimalistic scores. 

All those scores were co-composed, ghostwritten by other, more talented composers who ghosted for him like Powell, Gregson-Williams, Badelt, Djawadi, Zanelli, Neely, Mazzaro etc. Zimmer was taking credit for their work and payed them well and got them their own gigs to keep their mouths shut. 

I've to be up early in the morning so I'll hopefully be asleep before too long. In keeping with tradition, here's my ranking of the Best Film nominees that I've seen:

1. Licorice Pizza
  2. Drive My Car
  3. The Power of the Dog
  4. Dune, Part One
  5. Nightmare Alley
  6. Don't Look Up
  7. Belfast
  8. CODA

Three of these would make my own list of the top ten of the year, in contrast to last year (none of whose nominees are in my top ten of that year). On the other hand, last year's line-up was pretty solid overall, with The Trial of the Chicago Seven being the only mediocre offering among them. This year, I'd say that at most four of the eight that I've seen are reasonable nominees.

I retain my hope that CODA will win! I think The Power of the Dog has only a slight edge over it now.

5 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Titanic is underrated?

That’s the first time I heard this. 
It’s one of the most famous film scores of all time, if for nothing else, the movie won 11 Oscars and was the most successful film of all time until Avatar.

11 minutes ago, JTW said:

All those scores were ghostwritten by other, more talented composers who ghosted for him like Powell, Gregson-Williams, Badelt, Djawadi, Zanelli, Neely, Mazzaro etc. Zimmer was taking credit for their work and payed them well and got them their own gigs to keep their mouths shut. 

Yeah, cause guys like Gregson-Williams, Djawadi, Badelt, Neely are writing masterpieces now that they are on their own. Oh wait they are not. I always love this argument. "Balfe is responsible for all of Zimmer's success!" Balfe wrote like 30 scores in five years and never once came close to writing a universally beloved score like The Lion King and Gladiator. I would argue, only Powell has reach that level of composer, and that is only with one genre: animation.

As for ghostwriting. You mean like 95% of all the other composers, including the ones you listed? I love how this is your only argument left. Joe Kramer literally said like there are 5 people in the industry who doesn't collaborate in composing. 

EDIT: And considering that Zimmer's own website lists cuesheet credits including the additional composers,  I am not how Zimmer is paying them to keep quiet.

We tuned in in the middle of some random Beyonce song. What did that have to do with anything, and why was it performed in the middle of some random neighborhood? And why was everything in green? 

Good jokes by the hosts so far. 

I wish I had seen West Side Story before tonight. Oh well 

7 minutes ago, JTW said:

That’s the first time I heard this. 
It’s one of the most famous film scores of all time, if for nothing else, the movie won 11 Oscars and was the most successful film of all time until Avatar.

Sure. But if you do a thread and ask what is your top 3 or top 5 Horner scores, you'll be shocked how many people don't list Titanic. 

7 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Yeah, cause guys like Gregson-Williams, Djawadi, Badelt, Neely are writing masterpieces now that they are on their own. Oh wait they are not. I always love this argument. "Balfe is responsible for all of Zimmer's success!" Balfe wrote like 30 scores in five years and never once came close to writing a universally beloved score like The Lion King and Gladiator. I would argue, only Powell has reach that level of composer.

As for ghostwriting. You mean like 95% of all the other composers, including the ones you listed? I love how this is your only argument left. Joe Kramer literally said like there are 5 people in the industry who doesn't collaborate in composing. 

Yes, they write better scores than Zimmer, but since Zimmer is still using ghosts he’s using more talented people’s work as his own. On the main credits it says “Music by Hans Zimmer” and his fans think he alone wrote it, which is not true, he deceives his fans who think he’s a genius. 

And how exactly does other composers also using ghostwriters make Zimmer any better or different? :D

For something that is supposedly ‘not relevant’ and ‘not of interest or importance at all’…you lot certainly love crying and bitching when it doesn’t go as desired. 

With that being said: all these awards are indeed a waste of time. Only upside is a bit of schadenfreude when people have a meltdown (as showcased in here) over something they pretend to not care about. 

2 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Sure. But if you do a thread and ask what is your top 3 or top 5 Horner scores, you'll be shocked how many people don't list Titanic. 

And you’ll be shocked how many people do.

7 minutes ago, JTW said:

Yes, they write better scores than Zimmer, but since Zimmer is still using ghosts he’s using more talented people’s work as his own. On the main credits it says “Music by Hans Zimmer” and his fans think he alone wrote it, which is not true, he deceives his fans who think he’s a genius. 

And how exactly does other composers also using ghostwriters make Zimmer any better or different? :D

How would you know they write better scores than Zimmer when they themselves use ghostwriters? Maybe their ghostwriters are more talented than they are? LOL. By your logic, no one did anything. See how easy this is?

Zimmer has an entire website where you can search the discography of his team. Zimmer has shared front cover credit on many of his scores. Zimmer has openly talked about working with Mazzaro and Balfe and others in interviews. If his fans thinks he is working solo, that is on them, not Zimmer.   

2 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

For something that is supposedly ‘not relevant’ and ‘not of interest or importance at all’…you lot certainly love crying and bitching when it doesn’t go as desired. 

With that being said: all these awards are indeed a waste of time. Only upside is a bit of schadenfreude when people have a meltdown (as showcased in here) over something they pretend to not care about. 

We stopped caring because people like Zimmer get these awards. We only care to say why don’t care. We are sad that the Oscars used to mean the most talented people got awarded. Now it’s all about PC. JNH wasn’t even nominated. A person who uses an entire stable of ghostwriters gets the award. We would like to care, but decisions like this make us not care. I don’t see anybody melting down. I see people expressing their opinions. If you don’t like it, that’s your problem.

2 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

How would you know they write better scores than Zimmer when they themselves use ghostwriters? Maybe their ghostwriters are more talented than they are? LOL. By your logic, no one did anything. See how easy this is?

Zimmer has an entire website where you can search the discography of his team. Zimmer has shared front cover credit on many of his scores. Zimmer has openly talked about working with Mazzaro and Balfe and others in interviews. If his fans thinks he is working solo, that is on them, not Zimmer.   

Then why did he alone win the Oscar tonight? Why isn’t he sharing the credit with those who co-wrote it with him? Because he’s a narcissistic, egotistical man who wants all the credit for himself.

1 minute ago, JTW said:

We stopped caring because people like Zimmer get these awards. We only care to say why don’t care. We are sad that the Oscars used to mean the most talented people got awarded. Now it’s all about PC. JNH wasn’t even nominated. A person who uses an entire stable of ghostwriters gets the award. We would like to care, but decisions like this make us not care. I don’t see anybody melting down. I see people expressing their opinions. If you don’t like it, that’s your problem.

I don't think you understand what talented means. Elfman and Zimmer are probably the two most talented people working they field. You know because they didn't have a classical music education and they are able to produce scores like they have. You can ding them on education, but talent? I don't think so.

47 minutes ago, Romão said:

I'm not a Zimmer fanboy, but I do think he has won Oscars for two deserving scores

It should have gone to Greenwood's imo. But I guess Dune fits the "Oscar" bill more than many of his past nominations.

Surprised to see Greg Frasier take home cinematography, but very well deserved! 

1 minute ago, JTW said:

Then why did he alone win the Oscar tonight? Why isn’t he sharing the credit with those who co-wrote it with him? Because he’s a narcissistic, egotistical man who wants all the credit for himself.

Why did he alone win the Oscar tonight? The same reason all those other composers who uses additional composers and won stood on stage alone? Are they narcissistic and egotistical too?

And when did Zimmer not share credit? He is the only guy who actual credit his people. Do you see Tyler and Giacchino talking about their ghostwriters? 

27 minutes ago, JTW said:

All those scores were co-composed, ghostwritten by other, more talented composers who ghosted for him like Powell, Gregson-Williams, Badelt, Djawadi, Zanelli, Neely, Mazzaro etc. Zimmer was taking credit for their work and payed them well and got them their own gigs to keep their mouths shut. 

Okay, so I would like to post two tracks from scores that are decades apart:

Both tracks have very different co-writers (Steve Mazzaro for WW84, Lisa Gerrard for Gladiator (though this particular portion is apparently HZ solo)), yet the material is remarkably similar.

Are you going to actually argue that these other folks magically managed to pull the same material on their lonesome, separate from Hans's influence?

Just now, Mephariel said:

Why did he alone win the Oscar tonight? The same reason all those other composers who uses additional composers and won stood on stage alone? Are they narcissistic and egotistical too?

And when did Zimmer not share credit? He is the only guy who actual credit his people. Do you see Tyler and Giacchino talking about their ghostwriters? 

Please name the composers who won an Oscar and used ghostwriters on those specific scores and name them. Thank you.

That bit about Regina Hall calling the guys up to stage she wants to bang and then patting down the two male presenters would never have been done with the genders swapped