94th Academy Awards (2022 ceremony for 2021 films)

Jay

15 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Gee. I kinda liked seeing Ennio win....

That was such an amazing moment. The way the whole audience was standing up for him on his way to the stage.

6 hours ago, badbu said:

what??? why??? 

i want to see jonny get his first oscar live :D 

Fixed.

I'm pretty sure the award this year will go to Greenwood, unless Zimmer campaigns really hard for it.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Fixed.

I'm pretty sure the award this year will go to Greenwood, unless Zimmer campaigns really hard for it.

Why do you think so. 

I think his word on Power of the Dog is strictly okay. I saw the film 6 months ago and i remember just one cue from the score - the one also used in the trailer.

Sacrilege for me to say this but I think Zimmer's score for Dune is better than Power of the Dog, though it is also not a very good score.

Greenwood's spencer is much better. 

Permanent?  I sure hope not, but then again the honorary Oscar has never been added back in.  That used to be my favorite part when I was growing up and getting into movies.  Seeing people like Stanley Donen, Peter O'Toole, Blake Edwards get up on stage and honored was part of my film education.

I still remember Edwards' wheelchair bit

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Permanent?  I sure hope not, but then again the honorary Oscar has never been added back in.  That used to be my favorite part when I was growing up and getting into movies.  Seeing people like Stanley Donen, Peter O'Toole, Blake Edwards get up on stage and honored was part of my film education.

I still remember Edwards' wheelchair bit

Out with the old in with the new.  I personally am looking forward to the 20 minute Marvel Retrospective that will be replacing the In Memoriam segment.  

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

So because of Tom Holland and his shitty Spider-Man movie, best original score has been permanently cut from the broadcast...

That's not even winning the popular category. Apparently the favorites are Cinderella and Army of the Dead.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Cinderella

It will win and the world collectively goes "There was a Cinderella movie last year?", then they look it up, and then desperately close the cursed browser tab as quickly as they can.

6 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That's not even winning the popular category. Apparently the favorites are Cinderella and Army of the Dead.

Cinderella FTW for no other reason than it would piss off the kind of people who think Spider Man needs a BP nom for the Oscars to stay "relevant"

31 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Army of the Dead.

:o

This is the worst movie I watched last year. Maybe it's the Snyder fanatics of Twitter, desperately trying to see their favorite director winning an Oscar?

19 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

who think Spider Man needs a BP nom for the Oscars to stay "relevant"

I'm a moderate on this topic.  The combination of highbrow artsy movies and preachy leftist political agenda movies will kill the Oscars.  But awarding the lowbrow tentpoles isn't the answer.  The most fondly remembered BP winners of the last few decades are all 'middle-brow' crowd-pleasing dramas, but Hollywood doesn't make them anymore and even if they did, the current Academy elite think any drama that could plausibly appeal to a broad spectrum of Americans is a hate-crime.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

:o

This is the worst movie I watched last year. Maybe it's the Snyder fanatics of Twitter, desperatly trying to see their favorite director winning an Oscar?

Yes it is the Snyder trolls. They earlier voted for Snyder Cut but the academy said it wasn't eligible since it wasn't a theatrical release so they switched to Army of the Dead.

They made a big deal about Hildur winning best score - the first time for a woman. Would they have cut her speech down.

This year a woman might win best cinematography for the first time.

Some years ago a black woman won best production design for the first time. Now they would have cut it down. 

Screenshot_2022-02-02-19-52-30.png

4 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

They made a big deal about Hildur winning best score - the first time for a woman. Would they have cut her speech down.

This year a woman might win best cinematography for the first time.

Some years ago a black woman won best production design for the first time. Now they would have cut it down. 

I LOVE drive my car. My favorite movie of past two years.

But the academy members have shown their hand. They'd rather nominate this high brow Japanese art film than spiderman Wich is like literally printing money for Hollywood.

So the academy awards organizers are trying to reconcile two things that's impossible to reconcile. 

Their members want high minded films. And they want blockbuster audience to watch the show. How on earth will that happen!

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

But the academy members have shown their hand. They'd rather nominate this high brow Japanese art film than spiderman Wich is like literally printing money for Hollywood.

The decision would've been so much easier if Spider Man was actually good

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Their members want high minded films. And they want blockbuster audience to watch the show. How on earth will that happen!

They'll watch for the reason they always have watched, they love to see the stars in evening gowns and black ties. They watch for the glamour. The movie stars are like the royalty they never had.

How_to_Dress_for_the_Oscars_1-5e223278de

"But this time the circumstances are even more dire after last year’s disastrous Covid-hampered telecast, which saw ratings sink to a historic low. The rationale is “to increase viewer engagement and keep the show vital, kinetic, and relevant,” Rubin wrote in his members letter. However, to soften the blow, Rubin emphasized that “all the nominees in ALL awards categories will be identified on air and ALL winners’ acceptance speeches will be featured on the live broadcast. Every awarded filmmaker and artist in every category will still have the celebratory ‘Oscar moment’ they deserve on the stage of the Dolby, facing an enrapt audience.”

If all the awards categories are being aired during the live broadcast, why even cut them. What's the point, if you're gonna show them either way. This just creates problems and a lot of anger for no reason

Strong article for Jon Burlingame

https://variety.com/2022/awards/opinion/oscars-original-score-music-left-off-telecast-1235188124/

Thing that really, I think, sums up the whole of the debacle is the following that Burlingame saus.

'That the producers chose to award Best Song on the telecast but dismiss Best Original Score to the non-televised portion shows how little they understand about filmmaking.'

But the whole article is very strong

They’re going to air these awards - the prefilming is going to essentially cut back on the loooong walk to the stage for the people in these categories.  All about keeping the show shorter, essentially.

If, as I’ve been told, all they’re really editing is the some of each category’s walk to the stage (I was skeptical, but the person I’ve heard it from is well-sourced), do you think the audience will be missing that?  Moreso than a montage of film clips?

I completely see the logic - they want the average person to watch, which means focusing on the categories that most people care about.

It's a sad but true reflection that most people don't care about the artistic/technical categories.

Personally it doesn't really bother me, given how little an oscar means for the actual quality of something.

So does that mean the red carpet isn’t being broadcast live? Since the audience will have to be inside an hour before the ceremony broadcast begins…

Or are these categories having their own “private” ceremony?

1 hour ago, KK said:

So does that mean the red carpet isn’t being broadcast live? Since the audience will have to be inside an hour before the ceremony broadcast begins…

Or are these categories having their own “private” ceremony? 

The latter would be really disrespectful to these artists.

So apparently they will have an army of seat fillers. Basically non-star well-dressed regular people in the audience to make the audience seem full while the actual stars do the red carpet walk and interviews outside. 

So winners don't get to accept in front of Hollywood stars but in front of regular schmoes. 

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Now that's nothing new.  They've hired seat fillers at the Oscars for decades.

They have but they wil need them in a greater number to pull this off than even before. 

The theater capacity is like 4000.

Say the oscars proper begin at 8. And they are shooting these category wins from 7 to 8 in the auditorium. Most of the actual attendees would be doing red carpet from 7 to 8. So for that hour, they might need hundreds, even thousands to fill out the auditorium while these 8 winners accept their awards. 

EDIT: Also it will mean much less if they get a standing ovation. Ennio Morricone got a standing ovation from his peers - from the legends of the industry who were paying ovation to his great career when he won for score.

Now if say Hans gets a standing ovation, it would be from Betty from the corner barista.

56 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

So winners don't get to accept in front of Hollywood stars but in front of regular schmoes. 

Just terrible. That these artists don't get to be recognized in front of their industry peers, mentors, idols...that's literally branding them as "second-tier" folk.

57 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Why not just pre-tape the whole thing and edit everything "for time"? Who cares if it's live or not?

The Baftas did that for the longest time and might still do it for all we know.

But America is different. The Oscars have always been a live event, will always be a live event. 

So more dumb news. The Sound branch used to have two categories Sound Mixing and Sound Editing. When they eliminated one and made it a single Best Sound award, they promised the Sound branch that - you will never lose your category from the main show. This was the condition on which the Sound guys agreed to cut one category.

Now they are furious and feel they have been tricked. 

Since when?

Last I looked they still had that idiotic two categories.

It's like having two categories for cinematography- best composition and Best lighting.

If they did elimnate one category, I say." About effing time!"😁

12 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Why not just pre-tape the whole thing and edit everything "for time"? Who cares if it's live or not?

The bookies in Las Vegas care

Man I really dislike Ava Duvernay.  I thought Selma was pretty great, but does that give her the right to be the self-important narcissistic activist-bully she's been ever since?

And she's certainly profited very well financially from the new arrangements she has helped force onto productions.

Spoiler

image.png