94th Academy Awards (2022 ceremony for 2021 films)

Jay

Norwegian media is going ballistic over not just one, but TWO nominations for our film THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD. That's never happened before, that a Norwegian film gets two Oscar nominations.

The score category is fairly boring, as usual from the Academy. Although I hope DUNE wins, my second favourite score of 2021.

15 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It is actually extremely entertaining, audience friendly and crowd-pleasing. It is also 90 minutes. I think most everyone who watches it will enjoy it. 

Ha, ha...that's certainly one way to describe a sober documentary animation about a gay man who flees Afghanistan.

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

The score category is fairly boring, as usual from the Academy. Although I hope DUNE wins, my second favourite score of 2021.

What was your number 1?

I'd hardly call Campion a token.  Her movie is the favorite to sweep most of the major categories and she's been a widely respected director for like 35 years.  She won her first Oscar for Original Screenplay in 1993.

well call me cynical but I think Natalie Portman's hissy fit onstage a few years ago might have something to do with how they currently select nominees.

Deserves got nothing to do with it.

The Diversity Police strictly enforce the ' law'

😅

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

....Natalie Portman's hissy fit onstage...

That must have been so HOT! 😝😅

Was it recorded?😛

4 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I don't know how they select the nominees, but, of the best films being made these days, a lot more than 20% have female directors. If the Best Director line-up was Jane Campion, Jasmila Zbanic, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Julia Ducournau and Emma Seligman, that would be an entirely reasonable selection. There's no need to appeal to affirmative action to explain the inclusion of a single woman on the list. On the contrary, maybe Natalie Portman should have another hissy fit.

Edit: I just remembered that Zbanic's film was last year for Oscar purposes so let's say Céline Sciamma instead.

Indeed. Although I think Gyllenhaal's film is vastly overrated and doesn't belong in the same tier as the others you listed.

I'm surprised Ducournau didn't get a nod, at least in Foreign Picture category. Titane had huge buzz in the summer.

30 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

If anybody bumped Villeneuve it was Hamaguchi 

Yup. He was the real surprise here, coming out with four nominations.

I watched Drive My Car just a few days ago. It's strong, even if it desperately needs a good half hour chopped off.

On 08/02/2022 at 9:26 AM, karelm said:

Licorice Pizza just confuses me as to what kind of film it is.

Licorice Pizza is kinda a deceptively marketed film. It is marketed as this fun peppy rom com. It is that but it is actually also a much different movie. I think it is one of his best films. 

On 08/02/2022 at 9:45 AM, PrayodiBA said:

It’s understandable though, as TFD, i think personally, is Wes at its most pretentious, and the anthology structure of it makes the story kind of devoid of heart/plot development

I would agree. It is perhaps his most inaccessible film. It is also I think his best film.

On 08/02/2022 at 5:38 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

it seems to me that AMPAS is "scaling-down" its horizons.

In a way almost expanding its horizons with non-English language films breaking into both writing categories, directing, best picture, animated, documentary and score.

On 09/02/2022 at 3:52 AM, Thor said:

Norwegian media is going ballistic over not just one, but TWO nominations for our film THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD. That's never happened before, that a Norwegian film gets two Oscar nominations.

As they should. Such a great film. I am rooting for it to win the best Original Screenplay away even though I want Paul Thomas Anderson to win also.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

If anybody bumped Villeneuve it was Hamaguchi 

With good reason. Drive My Car is an infinitely better directed film than Dune.

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Is it me or is Paul Thomas Anderson just nominated because he's Paul Thomas Anderson. I honestly would have preferred his place to be for Villeneuve.

He got in because he made a great movie. The direction is stupendous. 

16 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Is it me or is Paul Thomas Anderson just nominated because he's Paul Thomas Anderson. I honestly would have preferred his place to be for Villeneuve.

Villeneuve will do fine without awards. PTA could use some extra publicity since his movie didn't do very well.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Villeneuve will do fine without awards. PTA could use some extra publicity since his movie didn't do very well.

Okay, I get that. But there is a reason then why PTA's film didn't do very well.

It means people weren't very interested overall.

Don't get me wrong, I thing PTA is a tremendous director and I have enjoyed almost all his movies. But as good as I think Licorice Pizza was, it felt almost him a being a bit on autopilot.

Just my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Okay, I get that. But there is a reason then why PTA's film didn't do very well.

It means people weren't very interested overall.

Don't get me wrong, I thing PTA is a tremendous director and I have enjoyed almost all his movies. But as good as I think Licorice Pizza was, it felt almost him a being a bit on autopilot.

Just my opinion. 

I haven't seen Licorice Pizza but there is also this to consider:

- Perhaps PTA has lost half of his fanbase because of Inherent Vice!

- His fanbase has traded the theater for streaming.

6 hours ago, KK said:

I think Gyllenhaal's film is vastly overrated and doesn't belong in the same tier as the others you listed.

I watched The Lost Daughter for a second time a couple of weeks ago and liked it even more than the first time. I think it's quite brilliant; it'll probably stay in my top ten of the year in the long term.

Speaking of overrated films, the one nomination that made me laugh out loud was CODA for Best Picture - a mediocre film that feels like it was designed in a lab and manufactured to precise specifications for crowd-pleasing awards buzz. I've seen people compare it favourably to Sound of Metal, which is ludicrous. Fair play to them, though; they got their nomination. I hope it wins!

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Deserves got nothing to do with it.

Of course, but that works both ways. I was arguing against the implication that more deserving men were being excluded from the Director category to make room for a woman. The reality is the other way round: women are routinely under-represented in the category while less deserving men are making it in. (I'm not saying that all of the nominated men were less deserving, or that the women who were nominated should have been.)

I haven't seen Belfast yet, largely because it looks as though it will be a bit of a chore, but is Kenneth Branagh really one of the best directors of the year? I guess I shouldn't form an opinion before watching the film, but it's safe to say it will be quite a surprise if I end up thinking that he is.

13 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I watched The Lost Daughter for a second time a couple of weeks ago and liked it even more than the first time. I think it's quite brilliant;

Well, it's a movie where the strong performances stand out (clearly made by an actor director whose sole interest is acting), but other than that, I personally don't see any reason why I should watch it again. 

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

...an actor director whose sole interest is acting...

I very much disagree. This is a real film.

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I personally don't see any reason why I should watch it again. 

Don't worry - I'll do that for you!

4 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I haven't seen Belfast yet, largely because it looks as though it will be a bit of a chore, but is Kenneth Branagh really one of the best directors of the year? I guess I shouldn't form an opinion before watching the film, but it's safe to say it will be quite a surprise if I end up thinking that he is.

To me it is outrageous and mind-boggling that it is considered best of anything and anyone. It is a mundane unremarkable collection of vignettes in a young boy's life. It looks extremely small, cheap and lowbudget because it is small, cheap and lowbudget.

It is the kind of film you wouldn't ever think twice about. And yet these awards bodies have deemed it in their infinite wisdom that it represents some kind of an achievement of any sort in anything. 

I don't really have an issue with the nominations. But then I am one of those people who are baffled by how many people think No Way Home is some cinematic masterpiece. Or Roland Emmerich should have directed Dune. Or 78 year old Martin Campbell who made like 3 good movies in his life should always direct the next Bond. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Because Bond ain’t supposed to be great art.  Keep the auteurs away!

Oh don't worry. As long as Purvis and Wade continue to write Bond films, they won't be art. 

Appalling, corporate bullshit. They tried to do this a few years ago and failed...I hope we get enough backlash to reverse this.

They won't televise best composer?!

I'm sure the song will be....

21 minutes ago, Bespin said:

But composers's speeches are always so boring!

Screenshot_2022-02-20-01-51-18~4.png

They better pray a non- white male doesn't win or they'll never hear the end of it!😝

👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽my thoughts as well.

This is appaling. Why do this?

To all the people nominated in these categories it's a stab in the back. Everyone worked really hard on their films and now they basicly being sidelined and handled like second rate artists.

And why does the song categorie gets televised and the scores don't. This is actaully disgusting.

Stupid indeed, but it's been that way for the Amanda Awards here in Norway for a few years now (Norway's Oscar). So I've kinda gotten used to this category not being televised.

2 hours ago, badbu said:

what??? why??? 

i want to see hans get his second oscar live :D 

If Hans was going to win it would be televised😛😉

I can understand the GRAMMY Awards doing this.

They have like 100 categories.

...and the winner for best liner notes for an archival blues recording made before 1920 in the state of Missouri is....

Gee. I kinda liked seeing Ennio win....

I'm gonna really miss that acceptance speech in Spanish with Clint Eastwood interpreting😝😜😛