Faleel

Hmm, post-Endgame stuff for me, best to worst

1. Falcon & Winter Soldier
  2. Wandavision
  3. Loki
  4. Spider-man Far From Home
  5. Black Widow

Haven't seen Shang-Chi, Eternals, What If? or Hawkeye yet

From the Phase 4 content until now (I consider Spider-Man: Far from Home as Phase 3), I liked, well...

Loki was decent and WandaVision was pretty good until the last episodes. I thought Falcon & Winter Soldier was awful and Black Widow was extremely forgettable. Shang-Chi was enjoyable until the CGI-fueled third act.

Hawkeye is my favorite D+ Marvel show so far, Kate Bishop is an engaging character with a fun performance by Hailee Steinfeld and I like that everything is mostly small scale, without epic CGI battles for the end of the universe.

I also have not watched Hawkeye yet.

post-Endgame for me - everything that can be watched without going into theaters rn:

1. Loki

2. Wandavision

3. Spider-man Far from Home

4. Black Widow

5. Shang Chi

6. Falcon and Winter Soldier

7.  What If?

I’ve liked em all, though!

Enjoying this series. I like the different more grounded approach. Hawkeye was never near the top of my list of characters I paid much attention too but this series puts a good spotlight on him. Looking forward to the soundtrack when it drops too.

Watched the fourth episode and it's still a lot of fun.

So far my ranking for phase 4:

1. Loki
  2. Eternals
  3. Shang-Chi
  4. WandaVision
  5. Hawkeye (unless the two last episodes are awfull)
  6. Black Widow
  7. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  8. What If...

Far From Home being phase 3 it doesn't appears here. I have to say that I liked all of the new stuff appart from What If... which had some nice episodes but sadly an awful animation...

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

1. Loki

2. Wandavision

3. Spider-man Far from Home

4. Black Widow

5. Shang Chi

6. Falcon and Winter Soldier

7.  What If?

Interesting. If you turned that ranking completely upside down, it would be much closer to my personal ranking.

Haven't seen Eternals yet. But so far I would go for

1.  Falcon and Winter Soldier
  2. Hawkeye
  3. What If...
  4. Shang Chi
  5. Far from Home
  6. Loki
  7. Wanda Vision

By the way, still the best MCU TV show remains Agent Carter for me. Too bad they didn't continue that one.

• 2 weeks later...

:( 

The Hawkeye season finale was lame.

The show started promising.

But that didn't work out.

I know, the MCU is based on comics. But the movies and show look increasingly like they were based on cartoons.

Soon I expect to see in the fight scenes these comic noise letters BANG! POW! CRASH! like in the old Batman series from the 60s.

Really liked the first episode, but it quickly went off the rails after that. The finale was incomprehensible. So many conflicting groups and characters. Baffingly convoluted and messy "plot".

All the best elements - namely Tony Dalton and Pizza Dog - were totally irrelevant in the end. Meanwhile we had the insufferable Tracksuit Mafia, Echo, Kazi and the LARPers taking up far too much screentime.

I haven't enjoyed a single Marvel project (film or TV) since Endgame. They've run out of steam.

Hawkeye 1x01 Never Meet Your Heroes

Finally started watching this today.  I liked it!  The opening scene in 2012 was pretty well done, even though that long oner tracking shot could have used a few more takes because the actress playing the young Kate seemed to mess up a few times.  I thought it was interesting that for a show called Hawkeye, the Hawkeye we know from the moves was only in it for 5-10 minutes and the rest was Kate Bishop's story, which was fine because all of it was well done.  I've only seen Hailee Steinfeld in Ender's Game but she was really good here, but in the drama scenes and the action/chase scenes.

I enjoyed the mystery it is setting up about what the auction is all about, who the guys are that bombed it, the importance of the watch they want, who killed Armand, what Kate's mom's fiancé has to do with what's going on, etc.  This was a well made pilot episode!

The score by Beck was decent; I thought it was strange in the opening scene when we got our first closeup of Hawkeye in action, it didn't play Silvestri's Avengers theme, but instead a new theme I didn't recognize, though when that turned out to be the same theme as the opening credits I got it.  Though, I still think it would have made more sense to use Silvestri's theme there and bring in the new theme more naturally.  I really liked the one cue that interpolated Carol of the Bells throughout, instantly wanted to check it out outside the show.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I enjoyed the mystery it is setting up about what the auction is all about, who the guys are that bombed it, the importance of the watch they want, who killed Armand, what Kate's mom's fiancé has to do with what's going on, etc.  This was a well made pilot episode!

Get ready to be disappointed! None of this is important, and the questions that get answered make little sense and have no consequece!

Edit: The best thing about the finale was 

Spoiler

Marc Shaiman turning up

Hawkeye 1x02 Hide and Seek

I liked it!  The Tracksuit Mafia is a really silly name for the bad guys.  Is this a name from the comics or something they made up for the show?

The excursion Clint had into the LARPer thing was kind of weird, felt like padding they'd add for a story they're telling via Disney+ series that they'd never do in a movie.

I liked much more the scene where Kate tried to prove Jack is hiding something by fencing with him, though I thought the reveal that he had a butterscotch from his uncle's place was sort of strangely executed.  I feel bad when these shows/movies do stories about people missing Christmas with their families to do superhero things so it's a bit of a strange angle they're taking with Clint doing that.  Though I liked it when he let himself get captured to find out more, and how Kate figured out where he was and literally dropped in on them to end the episode!

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Hawkeye 1x02 Hide and Seek

I liked it!  The Tracksuit Mafia is a really silly name for the bad guys.  Is this a name from the comics or something they made up for the show?

Based on the five minutes of research I did, it looks like like the term was created for the comic book series published in 2012 for this character after the first Avengers movie was released. That series became the D+ show. 

Hawkeye 1x03 Echoes

Another good one!  I loved the cold open that went back and showed you the backstory of the leader of the Tracksuit Mafia (Maya).  The story was well told, and very much elevated by featuring the great Zahn McClarnon as her dad.  The tease of the Uncle character is fairly obvious who it is, and pretty cool.  The escape and then car chase sequences that followed were really awesome!  I loved all the trick arrows, and the way Kate and Clint worked together the whole time.  Really well done.

I'm still not completely sure why they made Hawkeye deaf (he never was in any of the movies right?), but the scene where his son calls and Kate had to help him out pretty much made it all worth it.  I liked the way it ended with them sneaking into Kate's house, getting locked out of her mom's security account after finding a new clue, and then Jack using Hawkeye's sword against him to end on a cliffhanger!

Hawkeye 1x04 Partners, Am I Right?

LOL, I loved how quickly the situation from the end of last episode is resolved and they all just sit down and have dinner.  The angle they are taking with Clint continually refusing to consider Kate a partner or friend is really used too frequently, it's kinda strange.  I realized after the non-stop clues they drop about Jack being bad, sometime around when the mom makes a phone call after they leave that she's gonna turn out to be the bad guy and not Jack.  It's so obvious!

Another strange thing is the whole thing where Clint can't be with his family because of the situation they're investigating, but then he spends the night decorating and watching movies with Kate? WTF?  He couldn't have gone home to his family for a bit then returned to the case?  I don't get it.  Aren't they in NYC like he is?

I was also surprised by the LARPers returning, that really seemed like a 1-episode padding thing.  I guess I missed a detail somewhere because I didn't understand why a bunch of his arrows were inside a police station?  I did like Clint finally bonding with Kate and telling her about Natasha and confirming he's the Ronin, and am intrigued by the whole watch business.

The final scene, the infiltration of Maya's apartment to get the watch that turned into a 4-way fight with Kate, Clint, Maya, and Yelena was really great, but boy it made no sense that once they got Maya out of the way and Yolena had Clint dead to rights, she just took off.  WTF?

On 28/12/2021 at 3:59 PM, Jay said:

Another strange thing is the whole thing where Clint can't be with his family because of the situation they're investigating, but then he spends the night decorating and watching movies with Kate? WTF?  He couldn't have gone home to his family for a bit then returned to the case?  I don't get it.  Aren't they in NYC like he is?

No his family are on their farm in Missouri. 

Oh OK I missed that.  So the kids were only in NYC briefly to attend the Rogers musical, and then flew back to be with their mom who never left the farm?

Speaking of that Rogers musical, anybody else thought it kinda made no sense?

Like it was titled Rogers: The Musical, but the only number they show is a song all about The Avengers, and the events of the first movie.

Steve Roger's life is actually interesting enough you could do a musical just about his life during WW2 with all the Peggy romance, etc.  

Meanwhile, a musical about the invasion of New York could work too, but it wouldn't be called Rogers: The Musical, it'd be called something else.  Kind of strange.

No, because I would assume there were more songs in the musical.

Rogers story wouldn't really be relevant to Clint's story in this, whereas Nats presence in the TBoNY section would (and to a lesser extent Kate Bishop with her presence in that battle)

Of course it makes sense for the show to involve him watching a musical showing all the avengers, I just meant instead of labeling that musical he went to as "Rogers: The Musical", it should have been called something else.

Just now, Jay said:

Of course it makes sense for the show to involve him watching a musical showing all the avengers, I just meant instead of labeling that musical he went to as "Rogers: The Musical", it should have been called something else.

But its in NY. where Rogers is from, its probably focused on him for a lot we didn't see as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkeye 1x05 Ronin

Another good episode!  The opening showing Yelena immediately pre- and post- blip was kinda cool, but also felt more like a sidequel to the Black Widow movie than an organic element of this story being told.  I guess by the end of the episode it was all fine though, since the scene where Clint talks to Natasha at that Avengers memorial.  I really liked the way they portrayed the snap's effect on Yelena, making it seem like no time passed at all.  We haven't gotten this viewpoint in any of the MCU content so far It think, and it was pretty well done.  The later scene where she has mac and cheese with Kate was really good and funny, Florence Pugh is just so watchable in scenes like these.

I really like the Maya character and while the whole thing where a hitman has to convince someone related to one of his victims that he was just doing a job and the real person they should go after is the person who hired him is well-worn territory, it still kinda worked here.  I figured they were saving the reveal of who the big boss / her uncle was until the final episode, so it was pretty cool that the end of this episode drops the double whammy that Kate's mom is dirty and the uncle is Kingpin.

I think it was somewhere in episode 2, or maybe it was 3, that I realized Kate's mom was going to be a bad guy, it was too obvious that they were trying to hard to make Jack look like the bad guy the whole time, so of course it had to be someone else, and she was all there was.  Looking forward to seeing Farmiga be evil now!

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Looking forward to seeing Farmiga be evil now!

I feel like she's quickly falling into this type of role every time I see her in something lol

9 hours ago, Jay said:

We haven't gotten this viewpoint in any of the MCU content so far It think, and it was pretty well done.

At least we had in Wanda Vision the return of Monica Rambeau in the hospital wondering where her mother is.

Which was kind of similar. But yes, there we did not have this direct before-and-after situation. 

I must admit, I am not a fan of this installing new characters in the previous stories with all these flashbacks. The multiverse is confusing enough. I still did not completely understand, when Shang-Chi takes place in the timeline.

But it is still better than this growing list of reanimations of dead characters in Star Wars. 

Right that's what I mean.  The movies just everyone disappearing as a separate event from their return, as Endgame followed the character who didn't snap

Far From Home show kids returning from the snap in a comical way, WandaVision showed Monica returning in an emotional way, and now Hawkeye shows the very cool perspective of what it was like for someone to live through it directly. I really liked that

• 5 weeks later...

I've been catching up on shows I wanted to watch and procrastinated on (tbh I had kind of a rough Fall/early Winter, won't go into it), and hey Hawkeye is really good!  I'm watching the finale tonight.  I'm all for this Young Avengers thing everyone is theorizing will happen with Monica Rambeau, Kate Bishop, Yelena, Kamala Khan, etc.

I feel so lame since I've just liked all the Marvel and Star Wars Disney+ shows, but they've all just been enjoyable!  They should make something I hate as much as I despise TROS so I can get some street cred back.

Stu is slowly turning into the Disney+ poster child. It's only a matter of time before his likeness appears in their promotional brochures and pamphlets, hailed by investors as "the model subscriber." How long until their stream of content *really* begins to target his personal tastes? We can only guess...

image.png

Huh, i never wrote about episode 6.  I guess I'll have to do that

And yea, Stu, the show is great, I loved it - easily the best MCU show

Hmm, I'd probably pick WandaVision still for that superlative.  I was commenting to my wife last night that both Falcon/Winter Soldier and Hawkeye (both of which I enjoy very much) play much more like Netflix shows, where the beginnings and endings of the episodes feel pretty arbitrarily chosen.  Like they were designed for binging even though D+ does weekly releases.

Whereas WandaVision, Loki, and the three Star Wars seasons all feel more purposefully episodic to me, and I prefer that.

One thing I will say, and a strength of the MCU overall, is that all live-action MCU D+ shows each have very distinct tones and vibes from each other.  Moon Knight looks to continue that trend. Which I really appreciate!

I rank the MCU shows:

1. Hawkeye
  2. Falcon and Winter Soldier
  3. WandaVision
  4. Loki

WandaVision should have been the best but episodes 8-9 were such a massive drop-off after the greatness of 1-7

18 minutes ago, mstrox said:

like em all a bunch 

Yeah same.  The Flagsmashers/Morgenthau story in Falcon was seriously undercooked but I enjoyed everything else about the show enough to make up for it.

22 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Stu is slowly turning into the Disney+ poster child. It's only a matter of time before his likeness appears in their promotional brochures and pamphlets, hailed by investors as "the model subscriber." How long until their stream of content *really* begins to target his personal tastes? We can only guess...

image.png

I am ready for the CCU (Copland Cinematic Universe)