The Lost World vs Prisoner of Azkaban

WampaRat

The Lost World vs Prisoner of Azkaban  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer in film?

• The Lost World
    • Prisoner of Azkaban
  2. 2. Which OST do you prefer?

• The Lost World
    • Prisoner of Azkaban
  3. 3. Which score expansion do you prefer?

• The Lost World
    • Prisoner of Azkaban
  4. 4. Which score overall do you prefer?

• The Lost World
    • Prisoner of Azkaban

Two sequel scores that took a substantially different approach than their preceding film scores. Established themes from prior movies in their respective franchises were used sparingly (if at all) and new instrumental colors were brought in.
Which is your favorite?

I pick Prisoner of Azkaban in all categories!

The Lost World as a whole, PoA for expansion (I couldn't vote, as I have never seen a Potter film or heard the OST's)

PoA, as good as it is, feels a bit disjointed narratively.

I can see how the listening experience would be a bit disjointed in the POA Expansion. A bit stop/start at times. It was the expansion I was most excited for in the HP set. I went a made a custom edit that smoothed over some of the choppiness. But man, when that score cooks, it really cooks.

The Lost World expansion I have listened through a handful of times. It’s a blast…buuut a bit same-y after a while for me. The tone/musical colors don’t vary enough for me after a bit. I love hearing Williams go to town with ruckus jungle music. I just need some other flavors in that score so those moments pop more. It’s partly due to the films story I’m sure.

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

The Lost World expansion I have listened through a handful of times. It’s a blast…buuut a bit same-y after a while for me. The tone/musical colors don’t vary enough for me after a bit. I love hearing Williams go to town with ruckus jungle music

Some cross between TLW and MR/Munich/TP would be how I could imagine/want a JW Bond score to sound.

Soooooo...OST is easy. TLW for me.

Score in film is a little harder. I give it to POA, largely because of the overuse of tracked statements of the new main theme in TLW. It feels especially incongruous in the roundup scene.

Score expansion is harder still, because I'm so deeply grateful for both. But TLW is complete, and POA isn't, so I'll give it to TLW. (I also can't help noticing that I've listened to the TLW expansion more often than POA.) And of course, the inescapable reality is that POA is never going to be a totally satisfying standalone listen because of its numerous short cues and superlatively eclectic nature.

Which brings us to score overall. Uhhhh...damn, that's tough. I'd argue that POA reaches greater heights of brilliance. There are countless moments that just absolutely dazzle me with their fun, inventive spirit. TLW is just a bit closer to "pedestrian JW"...except then there's that percussion section, which he uses very differently than in his other scores. Boy, do they groove. And of course, it's a more coherent whole. I guess I'll give it to POA today. Ask me next week and I might disagree with myself.

POA for everything but I absolutely love TLW too. It's a real kickass score by JW and cranks the action music up to 11. The variety and period sound of POA and the quality of the moment to moment scoring is what makes POA a real treasure. It feels like JW is giving each moment his full creative energy.

TLW wins for everything other than film presentation. The OST is a tricky one but TLW was my first score album from John Williams so it wins purely out of sheer nostalgia.

Karol

6 hours ago, Datameister said:

Soooooo...OST is easy. TLW for me.

Score in film is a little harder. I give it to POA, largely because of the overuse of tracked statements of the new main theme in TLW. It feels especially incongruous in the roundup scene.

Score expansion is harder still, because I'm so deeply grateful for both. But TLW is complete, and POA isn't, so I'll give it to TLW. (I also can't help noticing that I've listened to the TLW expansion more often than POA.) And of course, the inescapable reality is that POA is never going to be a totally satisfying standalone listen because of its numerous short cues and superlatively eclectic nature.

Which brings us to score overall. Uhhhh...damn, that's tough. I'd argue that POA reaches greater heights of brilliance. There are countless moments that just absolutely dazzle me with their fun, inventive spirit. TLW is just a bit closer to "pedestrian JW"...except then there's that percussion section, which he uses very differently than in his other scores. Boy, do they groove. And of course, it's a more coherent whole. I guess I'll give it to POA today. Ask me next week and I might disagree with myself.

Couldn't agree more. I'm surprised there's so much love for the POA OST in this poll. The glaring holes are countless.