House of the Dragon vs The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Evil-Link

Even though House of the Dragon has a lot of problems as well, it's still a lot better than The Rings of Power. Rings of Power does not have the heart and the poetry the orginal one have (and I am also not the biggest fan of the peter jackson films but they captured some of that), it just feels like a product + fan service. The execution should have been much better by all the money involved. 

House of the Dragon is clearly the superior show. It's more well written and has more engaging characters. But that doesn't mean TROP is bad, it's just not on the same level as HOTD.

Score wise, the Amazon show wins, thanks to Bear McCreary's wonderful scores. Djawadi's work on HOTD is pretty good too, though.

I think a more interesting poll would be: House of the Dragon vs The Rings of Power vs Star Wars Andor. All three of them are prequels to fantasy franchises (someone quoting me and saying that SW is no fantasy in 3, 2, 1...)

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Why does everything has to put up against each other?

Both are enjoyable (and good/bad in everyones own opinion).

I think they are completely different series who try to accomplish different things. So personally I find the whole 'which one is better' debate a bit unnecessary.

That's just my thoughts, but of course feel free to discuss among yourselfs.

Because it's great fun to some.

There's nothing wrong with comparing the two. There wouldn't be a LOTR show if GOT wasn't such a massive success for HBO and ushered in the era of big-budget cable TV shows, but nor would GOT exist without the LOTR books and their adaptations. It was no accident that both shows aired at the same time either; both Amazon and HBO actively wanted us to compare them and decide which one we want more of.

For me Rings of Power was the more consistent show in terms of its storytelling, and its overall aesthetic was certainly the more dazzling to experience. But House of the Dragon had a much more compelling story from the outset, and the performances by its leads (particularly D'Arcy, Smith, Considine and Ifans) were spectacular. I don't dislike Galadriel in Rings and Morfydd Clark is enormously talented, but I'm nowhere near invested in her story as I am with Rhaenyra Targaryen, and that is ultimately more important to me.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I think a more interesting poll would be: House of the Dragon vs The Rings of Power vs Star Wars Andor. All three of them are prequels to fantasy franchises (someone quoting me and saying that SW is no fantasy in 3, 2, 1...)

Well, maybe if Star Wars was fantasy, such a poll would make sense.  However, Star Wars has spaceships and laser beams, so it must be science fiction.  

7 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

It's fatiguing and pointless to some, as well.

Sure, there are alway people who need complain.

I'm always wondering though, why they not just avoid those topics/threads.

17 minutes ago, Evil-Link said:

Sure, there are alway people who need complain.

I'm always wondering though, why they not just avoid those topics/threads.

I believe in voicing my opinion when I feel like it's worth voicing.  If you don't like it, that's your problem.

3 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I believe in voicing my opinion when I feel like it's worth voicing.  If you don't like it, that's your problem.

No problem, just fatiguing.

It's just a simple question, should be nothing seriously important :)

18 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Why does everything has to put up against each other?

Both are enjoyable (and good/bad in everyones own opinion).

I think they are completely different series who try to accomplish different things. So personally I find the whole 'which one is better' debate a bit unnecessary.

That's just my thoughts, but of course feel free to discuss among yourselfs.

This is not less than the basic question about polls, isn't it? We already had polls here in the forum on much more eccentric matters than this one. So, we can question the usage of polls in general or just enjoy, if we like.

I just wonder, why this is an external poll. We have a poll function here in the forum.

47 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

This is not less than the basic question about polls, isn't it? We already had polls here in the forum on much more eccentric matters than this one. So, we can question the usage of polls in general or just enjoy, if we like.

I just wonder, why this is an external poll. We have a poll function here in the forum.

Because (as far as I know) you can ask just one simple question here with the poll function, I found it more interesting to ask some more and specific quetions about those shows.

32 minutes ago, Evil-Link said:

Because (as far as I know) you can ask just one simple question here with the poll function, I found it more interesting to ask some more and specific quetions about those shows.

Understand. But you can do that with the funciton here in the forum as well. 

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Understand. But you can do that with the funciton here in the forum as well. 

But can you ask several questions? I think you can just ask 1 at the poll here?

13 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

When did this culture start that nothing should ever be compared with each other?

It sucks the very life out of every discussion board I know.

There's nothing wrong with comparing one thing to another.  But it's reductive and annoying when that comes in the form of "What's better, this or this?"  It's possible to like two things without feeling the need to pick which is your preference.

21 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

When did this culture start that nothing should ever be compared with each other?

It sucks the very life out of every discussion board I know.

Agreed

8 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

There's nothing wrong with comparing one thing to another.  But it's reductive and annoying when that comes in the form of "What's better, this or this?"  It's possible to like two things without feeling the need to pick which is your preference.

Having preferences respectively liking one thing better than the other is something different than claiming that one thing is objectively better than the other.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Having preferences respectively liking one thing better than the other is something different than claiming that one thing is objectively better than the other.

If you say so.

I can only laugh every time I see "Can't we judge things on their own merits, why do we have to compare"?????!!!!

Everything we make opinions on, up to, including and especially art, is based in part on comparison, and usually in large part. We've been comparing new art we're exposed to with what we've seen before since we were exposed to art, music, television, cinema, etc. as children. We do it whether we're even consciously aware of it or not. We like to think we're judging something solely on its own merits, but we're not. This has been confirmed in study after study. 

I mean, this is a forum where we discuss music, cinema & television. Of course we compare things. It would be odd if we didn't.

On 26/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Edmilson said:

House of the Dragon is clearly the superior show. It's more well written and has more engaging characters. But that doesn't mean TROP is bad, it's just not on the same level as HOTD.

Score wise, the Amazon show wins, thanks to Bear McCreary's wonderful scores. Djawadi's work on HOTD is pretty good too, though.

I think The Rings of Power is bad actually, it lacks everything that makes the literature great, it does not have the heart, the poetry or the atmosphere you get from the literature or even the jackson films. Yes there are some nice shoots, but they are mostly ruined by the bad editing and fast cuts. It's bland and it feels all over the place, also the storytelling. The dialoge is ridiculous at times, all Galadriel does is spitting out some schmaltzy, pretentious lines by giving dramatic facial expressions.  

On 27/10/2022 at 3:02 AM, Tom said:

Well, maybe if Star Wars was fantasy, such a poll would make sense.  However, Star Wars has spaceships and laser beams, so it must be science fiction.  

It's both fantasy and science fiction, why so complicated. It has elements of them both. 

On 27/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, Docteur Qui said:

House of the Dragon had a much more compelling story from the outset, and the performances by its leads (particularly D'Arcy, Smith, Considine and Ifans) were spectacular. 

Ifans didn't have much to act though, the character seems really one-dimensional.

1 hour ago, Evil-Link said:

Is it true that the 2nd season will only be released in 2 years? (last time we saw what happened by a 1 year break....)

Second season of….what?

3 hours ago, Evil-Link said:

Is it true that the 2nd season will only be released in 2 years? (last time we saw what happened by a 1 year break....)

Both shows have not even finished writing their second seasons yet.

Both shows will film their second seasons in 2023 and air them in 2024

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Both shows have not even finished writing their second seasons yet.

Both shows will film their second seasons in 2023 and air them in 2024

Where do you have this informations from?

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

News articles, podcasts

Just google it to confirm for yourself

Thank You.

I just don't care for a 2nd Season of The Rings of Power in 100 years though. 

2 hours ago, Evil-Link said:

Thank You.

I just don't care for a 2nd Season of The Rings of Power in 100 years though. 

Unless a new LOTR series is produced with competend people. 

I didn't like the last episode of House of the Dragon, I see no way how they would let Otto go back to Kings Landing? The dragon fight was ridiculous too and I don't get why Rhaenyra didn't search for allies before her father died.