The Most Christmassy Feature Film Score Is...

Andy

The Most Christmassy Feature Film Score Is...  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What Christmas Score Sounds the Most "Christmassy"?

• A Christmas Carol (1984) [Nick Bicat]
    • A Christmas Carol [Alan Silvestri]
    • A Christmas Story [Carl Zither & Paul Zaza]
    • It's a Wonderful Life [Dimitri Tiomkin]
    • Elf [John Debby]
    • Home Alone [John Williams]
    • Home Alone 2 Lost in New York [John Williams]
    • How the Grinch Stole Christmas [James Horner]
    • Miracle on 34th Street [Cyril Mockridge]
    • Miracle on 34th Street [Bruce Broughton]
    • Jingle All the Way [David Newman]
    • Santa Claus The Movie [Henry Mancini]
    • Scrooge! [Leslie Bricuisse]
    • Scrooged [Danny Elfman]
    • The Polar Express [Alan Silvestri]
    • A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas [William Ross]
    • Other

The Holiday Season has an established sound.  Carols, commercials, and media have conditioned us to know it when we hear it.  Which feature film score nails that gingerbread feeling?  Perhaps not your favorite, but which film score is the most Christmassy sounding?  I eliminated Christmas horror and action, as well as movies that happen to take place at Christmas, but you can feel free to argue why Kamen's Complete Die Hard conjures up warm feelings of holiday cheer if you want.  I also eliminated television specials and short films like the Snowman or Charlie Brown.  This is for feature length film scores only.

christmas scores.jpg

I almost went with Home Alone. But I just like the score for Polar Express better. Both lean on Christmas Classics more than the other mentioned scores. There are some that I'm not sure about (Santa Clause the Movie, Scrooged). But It's a Wonderful Life is not a very Christmas-y score.

Agreed on Its A Wonderful Life, but it’s become so attached to the Holiday that the sentiment is there, unlike say Batman Returns.   

As far as films go, Gremlins feels more Christmassy than Batman Returns, but again I don’t feel ot in the score. 

Now Edward Scissorhands, I could be convinced to add to the list. 

I voted for Broughton as well. While not necessarily my favourite, it definitely feels like the most festive score. Quite literally actually, between the faux classical pieces, the cosy romance and sugar laid thick, it feels like a perfect Christmas background album. It's almost annoying sometimes. 🤣

Karol

"Most Christmassy" sounds like a rather weird thing to say, as it's not something that can be easily rated that way. Also, there are many variations of Christmas music. There's the very US-centric semi-kitch version on display in things like HOME ALONE or more Christian, sacral things like Danna's THE NATIVITY STORY, the opening of BEN HUR etc. I'll vary this according to mood.

As such, I find it difficult to pick anything in this poll. However, if you asked me a more straightforward question of what my FAVOURITE score is of those listed, I'd probably go with HOME ALONE 2.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

"Most Christmassy" sounds like a rather weird thing to say, as it's not something that can be easily rated that way. Also, there are many variations of Christmas music. There's the very US-centric semi-kitch version on display in things like HOME ALONE or more Christian, sacral things like Danna's THE NATIVITY STORY, the opening of BEN HUR etc. I'll vary this according to mood.

As such, I find it difficult to pick anything in this poll. However, if you asked me a more straightforward question of what my FAVOURITE score is of those listed, I'd probably go with HOME ALONE 2.

I was thinking the former, US centric semi-kitch.  If that’s how you want to define it, feel free to vote accordingly.   Interesting that your FAVOURITE ended up being my personal vote. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Make the poll responses public.  Or my fellow Broughton Miracle appreciator, reveal yourself!

Done!

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I voted for Broughton as well. While not necessarily my favourite, it definitely feels like the most festive score. Quite literally actually, between the faux classical pieces, the cosy romance and sugar laid thick, it feels like a perfect Christmas background album. It's almost annoying sometimes. 🤣

Karol

You make me want to give it another chance.  You may be onto something there… I found it too sweet for my taste.  Like egg nog with extra sugar added.  I’ll spin it again this week. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:11 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Inferior film; superior score.

Home Alone is a superior film and the score to HA2 is an extension. It feels natural and unforced like the film does.

Polar Express is one of my favorite scores it captures the excitement and joy of Christmas but there’s another side to the score that is very mysterious and foreboding. It captures the fear of growing up and losing your belief well and works good on its own or in the film. Also the themes and songs of the movie I find very catchy and powerful.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Wow, you've never listened to The Polar Express?  That's crazy.

Yeah, I think he should definitely listen to The Polar Express, AND see the film (despite its obvious flaws).

I never saw THE POLAR EXPRESS when it came out. I was too old, and it was too wonky. Saw it for the first time some 7-8 years ago. But I've come to love the OST very much in recent years, as Christmas warm-up. And it always amuses me that that the main theme reminds me of Roger Hodgson's "Lovers in the Wind".

I don't like Elf either.  And actually my kids don't like it either.  They tried it last year and again this year, and both times they started just wandering off and doing other things partway through.

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Elf's OK. But the only Will Ferrell movie you'll like if you don't like Will Ferrell is Stranger than Fiction. Maybe The Lego Movie. Elf will certainly not change your mind.

I've tried to like Will Ferrell, in the same way that I have tried to like Adam Sandler, but something stops me.

Clearly not as predictable as I thought, but Home Alone 2. I am almost (almost...) of the view that you can dispense with the original since HA2 contains almost all the original material but lots of terrific new stuff. I would have to agree that the various "arrival in NYC" material adds a new type of more bombastic Christmassy sound somewhere between JW, Gershwin and Bernstein (L). Having listened to it walking around the Christmas market in Manchester the other week, those bits really hit the right tone if you want to actually want it to feel like JW is scoring your actual life lol.