Another City of Prague JW compilation available today

Jay

Please someone tell JW to program this next time he does a concert. I don't understand why he never plays something from Prisoner of Azkaban.

What I'd give to hear this performed by the Wiener Philharmoniker... :stick::whistle:

What do you mean, this link doesn't show you the track list?

https://music.apple.com/us/album/projections/1659920485

Did you try a different browser, or changing the US part of the URL to a different country?

1 hour ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Please someone tell JW to program this next time he does a concert. I don't understand why he never plays something from Prisoner of Azkaban.

What I'd give to hear this performed by the Wiener Philharmoniker... :stick::whistle:

First tell him to actually use the proper sheet music.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did you try a different browser, or changing the US part of the URL to a different country?

Only tried on my phone. 4 am here^ 

8A3CF909-8AFD-4014-BAF4-65A540A62DFD.png

Well there's your problem, you've let it launch into your iTunes app.  Don't do that.  View the page within your web browser.

It's on the some of the usual digital platforms

https://open.spotify.com/album/2CWTPXljr8pUsUPEgwF5lr?si=2Xu4AIvdSFGjASy8Yi8Jzw

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k4V6UILOsgUdlTEK9lFwqGvOA_3M0kvQs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ3YGDXW/

It will probably be on the others tomorrow

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How many of the tracks are newly recorded? 

None, of course

1 hour ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

It was really, really awesome to hear this life at the Live To Projection concert!!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was really, really awesome to hear this life at the Live To Projection concert!!

That's great to hear and actually a good idea. I always seem to miss these LTP events when they're nearby :( Well, maybe there's an opportunity next year.

35 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

First tell him to actually use the proper sheet music.

What do you mean?

i have a soft spot for their Temple of Doom end credits, since it actually contains the full film version of short round & indy's theme intertwined.  but it also contains the non-film version of the willie theme to indy theme transition.  the film version is the abrupt one. which i always felt 'fit' temple of doom better. 

so i always found that it was a neat track to have on ultimate playlists i'd make.

sadly it's not on this.

21 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I mean that the COP is well-known for recording arrangements that vary from good ones to utterly awful ones. Some of them seem to be written down by ten-year-olds.

Yeah that's true. I've never liked any of their releases, honestly. The performance here isn't good either...

I love the City of Prague Philharmonic. I loved them in the 90s, I love them now (when their skill has improved immensely). I also love Silva and everything they stand for. So this is a great compilation. Obviously of little interest to me, since I have everything on there, but I hope it sells the number it requires to keep producing. Nice to see they've included a little bit from what I assume is the THE RARE BREED suite in there -- still, to this day, the only commercially available music from that film.

I suppose the albums were slightly cheaper than most commercial CDs (but not by much), but they were amazing missionaries at the time. I got into a LOT of different film music through their albums and compilations, and I never really had any major issues with the performances, which I know you're very into.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I suppose the albums were slightly cheaper than most commercial CDs (but not by much), but they were amazing missionaries at the time. I got into a LOT of different film music through their albums and compilations, and I never really had any major issues with the performances, which I know you're very into.

Reeeally? You should become a used car salesman. :)

I bought, and subsequently gave this 3CD set to my father one Christmas in the 90s. He played it in his car, and I think it opened his ears to the virtues of film music, even if he never became a complete convert like me.

FILMCD180.jpg

Long live Silva and The City of Prague Philharmonic!

1 minute ago, Thor said:

He played it in his car, and I think it opened his ears to the virtues of film music, even if he never became a complete convert like me.

Perheps he felt they should have practiced more. ;)

I remember this compilation - almost purchased it before spotting the Silva logo. :D

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I remember this compilation - almost purchased it before spotting the Silva logo. :D

Shame. It's great. You shouldn't have this chip on your shoulder when it comes to Silva and the COPF.

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Shame. It's great. You shouldn't have this chip on your shoulder when it comes to Silva and the COPF.

Oh, I've got several CoPPO albums now, but from after the turn of the century and/or on Tadlow. I make individual assessments of each CoPPO album that seems interesting, and they do have a lot of interesting programs, but so far, all of the 90s albums I've checked out have had some drawback.

The Book Thief was on their "Film Music 2013" album

https://music.apple.com/la/album/film-music-2013/871792382

March of the Resistance was on their "100 Greatest Science Fiction Themes" album, but probably debuted on something else before that

https://open.spotify.com/track/5xq1XgFBa7UfHZ2dAOJXX5

39 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh, I've got several CoPPO albums now, but from after the turn of the century and/or on Tadlow. I make individual assessments of each CoPPO album that seems interesting, and they do have a lot of interesting programs, but so far, all of the 90s albums I've checked out have had some drawback.

Good to know. I don't know if it's the slight age difference between us, or because we're different in terms of our orchestral evaluations, but I will forever love those 90s Silva/COPP albums, even if they're not on the level of the LSO or the Berlin PO or whatever.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Good to know. I don't know if it's the slight age difference between us, or because we're different in terms of our orchestral evaluations, but I will forever love those 90s Silva/COPP albums, even if they're not on the level of the LSO or the Berlin PO or whatever.

Well, I wouldn't call 60 years a slight difference... ;)

One important factor is probably whether these albums were part of your introduction to film music. For me, one of them were (listened to it a lot when it came out, but didn't own it): Schindler's List: The Classic Film Music Of John Williams. It contains several good performances, especially the piano version of the SL theme, but it probably contains just as many performances that I wasn't happy with. Still, I should probably track down a copy for sentimentality's sake.

R-15312008-1589570257-3172.jpg

R-15312008-1589570258-5963.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, I wouldn't call 60 years a slight difference... ;)

One important factor is probably whether these albums were part of your introduction to film music. For me, one of them were (listened to it a lot when it came out, but didn't own it): Schindler's List: The Classic Film Music Of John Williams. It contains several good performances, especially the piano version of the SL theme, but it probably contains just as many performances that I wasn't happy with. Still, I should probably track down a copy for sentimentality's sake.

R-15312008-1589570257-3172.jpg

R-15312008-1589570258-5963.jpg

I don’t know if I ever picked up this one but I remember having the Jurassic Park themed companion album as one of my first film music collecting purchases. I think even at the time I realised the performances were a bit ropey in places but enjoyed it anyway. I’m not sure the COPP were (at least in those days) the ideal orchestra to perform JW’s music as it’s pretty challenging for even too orchestras. However I remember when their John Barry and Jerry albums were released finding much more to enjoy in those. It seems obvious that they were performed JB better as his music is largely much less challenging plus Nic Raine worked with JB (I can’t recall in what capacity offhand) so knew his music well. I think for JW, there are so many compilations of his music under his own baton and others that the Silva ones are perhaps a bit redundant but if it helped them make money for more offbeat recordings then I don’t mind. I’m sure in my head Robbie Williams (well his writers/producers) used a sample of You Only Live Twice for his song Millennium and used the silva version. 

On 16/12/2022 at 8:01 PM, Thor said:

I bought, and subsequently gave this 3CD set to my father one Christmas in the 90s. He played it in his car, and I think it opened his ears to the virtues of film music, even if he never became a complete convert like me.

FILMCD180.jpg

Long live Silva and The City of Prague Philharmonic!

I remember this one too but don't have it any more, think it probably went to the charity shop (like most of the other earlier ones I had which ended up being superseded). This was a pretty decent collection although I always remember it had some weird, glaring omissions like no Korngold and no Jerry or James Horner or Danny Elfman, but quite a lot of John Barry, and a couple of nice but not especially exciting tracks, notably It's Over from JNH's The Fugitive. I think they did a 4CD follow up with a somewhat more balanced programme but I don't think I picked that one up.