(Rumor) Tom Cruise And Steven Spielberg Teaming For Original Action Movie Called Nomad

Toillion

Looks like you pasted the link part in the text box and the text part in the link box

Anyways, isn't Giant Freaking Robot notoriously uncredible / largely just a rumor mill?

Since there's nothing about this project on Variety, Deadline, or Hollywood Reporter, I'd take it with a massive grain of salt

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Imagine that – a trilogy of Spielberg/Cruise sci-fi films, all scored by Williams.

We can dream...

Did he do more Spielberg than Minority Report?

Edit. never mind forgot War of the Worlds.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I really like all of Williams' sci-fi scores

It's definitely the genre where he consistently delivers, and with such a diversity of musical output!

And unless you count the Star Wars sequels (or Crystal Skull), he hasn't dabbled in sci-fi scoring for nearly two decades now. I'd love to hear how a 90-something JW would approach a film like Arrival, for example.

Modern sci-fi scoring tends to be more atmospheric and textural. I'd love a return to that romantic-classical approach Williams employs in the genre (albeit with sharper edges in some cases).

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I really like all of Williams' sci-fi scores

Funny, when I read this I started ticking off all JW's sci-fi scores in my head, and I realized Star Wars didn't even cross my mind until later. I don't even really think of Star Wars as a sci-fi score.

16 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Funny, when I read this I started ticking off all JW's sci-fi scores in my head, and I realized Star Wars didn't even cross my mind until later. I don't even really think of Star Wars as a sci-fi score.

Neither.

It's in a very different category to the likes of Minority Report, A.I., Close Encounters, Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds, in my mind anyway.

Which would be separate again to the likes of E.T., which has science fiction elements but the film is about something else entirely.

Then you have outliers like The Lost World. Does anyone consider that a science fiction movie? It's more of a survivor-horror movie with sci-fi elements.

On 25/3/2023 at 7:04 AM, crumbs said:

Neither.

It's in a very different category to the likes of Minority Report, A.I., Close Encounters, Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds, in my mind anyway.

Which would be separate again to the likes of E.T., which has science fiction elements but the film is about something else entirely.

Then you have outliers like The Lost World. Does anyone consider that a science fiction movie? It's more of a survivor-horror movie with sci-fi elements.

You consider Jurassic Park sci-fi but not The Lost World?

On 25/03/2023 at 12:04 PM, crumbs said:

Sure it is science fiction. In the sense of the word it is about fictional science. Who would deny that. Isn't Alien a science fiction and a survivor horror movie at a time as well?

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

You consider Jurassic Park sci-fi but not The Lost World?

In my mind Jurassic Park explores its concept and poses interesting questions, which feel right at home in the science fiction genre.

The Lost World ... does not. It's little more than an excuse to maroon people on an island with dinosaurs, then meanders around for 90 minutes with some half-baked environmental message.

It would've been a stronger film if it explored the science from Crichton's book, but Koepp and Spielberg jettisoned all that.

The spaceship that kickstarts the plot in Alfred Bester's absolutely incredible book The Stars My Destination was called Nomad. Gully Foyle, the main character, even had it tattooed on his forehead.

tumblr_mcryc2i12k1r6641ho1_400.jpgtiger-tiger-face.jpg

tumblr_inline_ok9qhfSyzB1tr1xg1_1280.jpg

newworldsweekly_AlfredBester_StarsMyDest

I can only dream...