Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Gil Kenan - score by Dario Marianelli - March 22, 2024)

Giftheck

The moment we knew Peter Bernstein was coming back, it was kind of obvious this was the route they were going to go.

However... the "dropping whole cues or cutting and pasting different cues together and dropping them over the film" does give me hope the OST will have more original material.

Why should it be a bad thing.

Look I get that new music is required, but it's also part of series of films in which at the momemt they're going for the nostalgia factor. So a lot of Bernstein music would make sense.

I think Afterlife is a terrific score so I'll wait to fully judge this when it's out

4 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Look I get that new music is required, but it's also part of series of films in which at the momemt they're going for the nostalgia factor. So a lot of Bernstein music would make sense.

I think Afterlife is a terrific score so I'll wait to fully judge this when it's out

That's basically how I'm looking at this. Coupled with the fact I've never heard this composer's work before (similarly, I had never heard any of Simonsen's before Afterlife) I'm going into this with an open mind.

22 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

The moment we knew Peter Bernstein was coming back, it was kind of obvious this was the route they were going to go.

However... the "dropping whole cues or cutting and pasting different cues together and dropping them over the film" does give me hope the OST will have more original material.

That’s what I was thinking. I’m hoping to do a lot of editing if that’s the case.

17 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I’m just personally bummed that another opportunity for a lot of new music was ditched for reuse allegedly.

35 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

That's basically how I'm looking at this. Coupled with the fact I've never heard this composer's work before (similarly, I had never heard any of Simonsen's before Afterlife) I'm going into this with an open mind.

Marianelli is a great composer, even though I much prefer his scores for dramas (Agora, Pride & Prejudice, Atonement, etc) than for action movies.

About halfway through the album now, and I have to say, the reused music is actually fairly unique compared to the first film’s. There are parts that are straight up not different to the cue being reused though. But there was obviously creative liberty with the reuse given to Dario, which wasn’t the case with Simonsen.

Edit:

Just finished it now, very pleasant experience overall. Loads more new material than old, and it just sounds great. Solid job.

I love Marianelli as a composer, but had no idea he was scoring this mainstream garbage film, given the overall quality/smaller scale of his previous assignments. I will definitely listen to this score. 

Also, I’ve noticed discussion about him incorporating existing Ghostbusters themes. Which scores should I listen to first in order to understand the musical references in this latest one?

58 minutes ago, Trope said:

Also, I’ve noticed discussion about him incorporating existing Ghostbusters themes. Which scores should I listen to first in order to understand the musical references in this latest one?

For sure listen to the first score, as that’s referenced a lot here. But give Afterlife a listen, as some action material from there is present here.

I definitely feel a bit more subtlety in the reprised material here than in Afterlife's soundtrack, but overall I think I like this one just as much as Afterlife, and I reckon it will grow on me more with repeated listens.

11 hours ago, Trope said:

love Marianelli as a composer, but had no idea he was scoring this mainstream garbage film, given the overall quality/smaller scale of his previous assignments.

Like Bumblebee? 

Has anyone heard Marianelli’s

score? If so, how is it? Did he use Elmer Bernstein’s themes? I’m a big fan of DM, and of Bernstein’s Ghostbusters score, so I’m looking forward to hearing DM’s score, although I’m not one bit interested in seeing the film after the last two abysmal entries in this long dead franchise. 

And @Giftheck the thread title could be changed to include Marianelli. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, JTN said:

And @Giftheck the thread title could be changed to include Marianelli. Thanks!

The thread was originally about the film, we just happen to be talking about the score here too, so I'll probably add him in.

Not listened to the score on its own yet but watched the film last night. Gotta say I really enjoyed it. With Afterlife I was a little unsure and it took a couple of views and I do like it but find it leans too hard on the nostalgia and referencing the original. Especially in Simonsens score which lifts cues straight out of the first film. But I didn't notice that with Marianelli's, Bernsteins Ghostbusters theme is used throughout but it feels right, there's what you could call the ghost motif, which is the cue from the original that is used after Venkman says "sorry this isn't your lucky day" before electrocuting the student, that usually plays when a ghost is about to appear. There's something that sounds like Dana's theme for Melody's first appearance, in the same scene there's a musical callback to Simonsens cue for when Phoebe and Egons spirit play chess. 

But the film itself was a joy and while some of the character arcs weren't exactly unpredictable, it was still great watching not only a family of ghostbusters working together but dealing with drama, some internal some brought on by Mayor Peck. Then there's the use of the original ghostbusters, I really liked seeing how Winston has made it so not only can ghostbusters still operate but what else he is doing with the technology. And Ray, some people might say he's a little goofy in this, but that's kinda how he's always been, but his actions cause some serious trouble and honestly the scene with him and Winston following it was really touching. Don't want to give too much away but if you're a fan of the original at least I'd say this is definitely worth checking out. 

Sony’s Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire rallied on Saturday and Sunday, with a boost from younger moviegoers, earning $45.2 million from a $16 million Friday. That’s bigger and leggier than the opening weekend for Ghostbusters: Afterlife, which earned $44 million in November of 2021 from a $16.65 million opening day. This despite lesser reviews (43% and 5.2/10 on Rotten Tomatoes versus 64% and 6.2/10 for Afterlife), a slightly lower CinemaScore grade (B+ versus an A-) and a lot less free publicity than its “Jason Reitman directs a sequel to his father’s most famous movie(s)” predecessor.

From Scott Mendelson's paid newsletter on Substack, but you can find the numbers here:

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart

On 23/3/2024 at 6:14 AM, Groovygoth666 said:

...but if you're a fan of the original at least I'd say this is definitely worth checking out. 

That's good enough for me! I expect to at least be entertained, somewhat.

I've only given it one listen, but can't say that it's grabbed me as much as Afterlife did, but it was definitely interesting enough to be worthy of further listens. I'm actually kinda amused by how much nostalgia there is for Elmer's original main theme. It always struck as kinda goofy and a bit awkward (which is perhaps ideal for the original characters?!) but not nearly as famous or memorable as the Ray Parker Jnr. song (which is fun but doesn't half outstay its welcome at 4 minutes). Still, both Marianelli and Simonsen have done a good job of incorporating it and I'm always happy for Elmer's music to get a new lease of life as he's starting to feel like one of those composers whose work isn't as fondly remembered or talked about any more, which is a crashing shame.

30 minutes ago, Jon Broxton said:

Who wants to read about something that's crap?

People want to read reviews to get an informed opinion, to see if the score's worth checking out. At least that's what I do.

Then what Jon does is still playing to those rules. When you read something from him, you get his informed opinion of something that he likes.

I love his reviews (and Craig Lysy's for the older scores) and they help me appreciate certain scores more. I'm not looking for someone who reviews stuff to bash it into the ground

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

People want to read reviews to get an informed opinion, to see if the score's worth checking out. At least that's what I do.

It sounds like that's what you're getting. If he only reviews scores that he thinks you should check out, then there is your answer.

EDIT: ^^^ What @JNHFan2000 said.

5 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It sounds like that's what you're getting. If he only reviews scores that he thinks you should check out, then there is your answer.

EDIT: ^^^ What @JNHFan2000 said.

I was replying to his question "Who wants to read about something that's crap?"

On 22/03/2024 at 11:10 AM, crocodile said:

Having heard the entire album now, I can say this is definitely very solid. Not outstanding, as others have pointed out, but I really enjoyed myself during those 61 minutes. The final track is indeed the best of the lot. 

Karol

Somehow similar impression on my end. Listening I thought, this is really a good Ghostbusters score with solid references to the original.

I just was never a super fan of the original score. And Marianelli is somehow too good at adapting to other styles and works (like in Bumblebee) that it is hard to find the Marianelli in there, that I like so much.

So, it is a good sequel score to an original score, that I hardly listen to (even though it is good and I like it... somehow). 

I am looking forward to Marianelli's next original work, that is not adapting to someone elses film music work.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I am looking forward to Marianelli's next original work, that is not adapting to someone elses film music work.

I think that's gonna be the new Laika film due for next year.

Frozen Empire expected to lose 68% of its audience on its second weekend as Godzilla x Kong surges ahead.

Put right in between Dune Part 2 and Godzilla x Kong - both crowd draws - it becomes harder to see why Sony didn't move this movie to a less popular spot.

It looks like Frozen Empire will be the lowest grossing Ghostbusters movie ever, and that despite being more expensive than Afterlife.

Here's the box office performance of the last three movies in the franchise:

Ghostbusters 2016

Budget: $144 million;

Domestic box office: $128,350,574

International box office:  $100,658,084

Global box office: $229,008,658

Afterlife

Budget: $75 million;

Domestic box office: $129,360,575

International box office:  $74,253,563

Global box office: $203,614,138

Frozen Empire

Budget: $100 million;

Domestic box office: $88,864,000

International box office:  $49,300,000

Global box office: $138,164,000

It seems that after Afterlife became a small scale success, Sony was compelled to spend a little more in the sequel. Unfortunately, that didn't translate into bigger box office numbers or even better reviews.

What should Sony do now? Let the franchise rest for more five years or so? Try a new reboot, this time starring Bill Murray's goddaughter or something?

Oh, I still haven't listened to the score separately from the film, but this was a tremendous sequel score. The first of the Spengler Films leaned very heavily on Bernstein quotes and did it very well. But this one? Wow, it actually managed to live in the same musical space without hardly ever directly quoting EB.

12 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Yes, it was. It should've come out in the fall

Yep. All I got to say to Sony about releasing it when they did is...

image.png

4 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

As its the 40th anniversary of the first one in June, I'm surprised they didn't release it then.

Has it already been 10 years since that 4K theatrical release for the 30th?? Egads!

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Has it already been 10 years since that 4K theatrical release for the 30th?? Egads!

Well yeah that's how time works 😂. Clearly you're having too much fun! Did you manage to see it in the cinema then? 

1 hour ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Did you manage to see it in the cinema then? 

Yeah. The theatre was virtually empty, except for a few other guys my age. But the franchise had been dormant then, so interest was low.

But with the new movies and a new generation of fans, it would be a no-brainer to do a rerelease now for the 40th.

Maybe they will in the summer...

Received the CD yesterday. They mention John Williams building in the liner notes.

Listening to the score this morning. Really fun and solid work. Between the original, Afterlife and this you have a nice Bernstein trilogy.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2024 at 6:35 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

Yeah. The theatre was virtually empty, except for a few other guys my age. But the franchise had been dormant then, so interest was low.

But with the new movies and a new generation of fans, it would be a no-brainer to do a rerelease now for the 40th.

Maybe they will in the summer...

Strange my viewing was almost sold out! That 30th showing was one of my most memorable cinema experiences. It was the first time seeing it on the big screen (got another chance a couple of years later), but something odd happened, I felt validated for finding it funny. Which might sound weird but after having spent most of my life showing it to people or talking about it and no one else seeing the comedy it was so relieving to be in a room full of people who were all laughing at the jokes. I also remember I was wearing my brand new Star Lord jacket (based on the full length one he wears at the start of GOTG) and sitting next to a kid that couldn't have been older than 4 with a extra large drink that was almost as big as him and hoping he didn't spill it over my expensive new coat! 

Yeah if they weren't going to release this in the summer hopefully they'll do a special anniversary showing! 

Did you manage to watch Frozen Empire yet? 

I tried 3 times and still can't get into this score. I honestly feel like every single note I heard from somewhere else already. 

12 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Did you manage to watch Frozen Empire yet? 

Thanks for reminding me! I'll get on that! lol