Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Gil Kenan - score by Dario Marianelli - March 22, 2024)

Giftheck

Director: Gil Kenan

Producers: Jason Reitman and Jason Blumenfeld

Composer: Dario Marianelli

Cast: Finn Wolfhard, McKenna Grace, Carrie Coon, Paul Rudd, Celeste O'Connor, Logan Kim, Ernie Hudson, Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, Annie Potts, William Atherton, Kumail Nanjiani, Patton Oswalt, James Acaster , Emily Alyn Lind

Following on from the end of Ghostbusters: Afterlife, which saw the Ghostbusters return to defeat Gozer alongside the family of the late Egon Spengler, "Firehouse" (working title) will return to New York, with the cast of Afterlife returning as well as most of the original cast.

Premise:

In Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, the Spengler family returns to where it all started – the iconic New York City firehouse – to team up with the original Ghostbusters, who’ve developed a top-secret research lab to take busting ghosts to the next level. But when the discovery of an ancient artifact unleashes an evil force, Ghostbusters new and old must join forces to protect their home and save the world from a second Ice Age.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire was originally due December 20, but was moved following the SAG-AFTRA strikes to March 29, 2024.

• 3 weeks later...

It's weird with GHOSTBUSTERS. I watched the films on VHS in the 80s or 90s (might even have seen the second in the cinema), but while I found them amusing enough at the time, I never connected to them as strongly as other people of my generation. I mostly connected to the Ray Parker Jr. song, which I had on a mixed tape and played constantly. So I still haven't seen the female reboot one, AFTERLIFE and don't know when I'll get to this sequel either, down the line. I'm probably the odd one out here.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's weird with GHOSTBUSTERS. I watched the films on VHS in the 80s or 90s (might even have seen the second in the cinema), but while I found them amusing enough at the time, I never connected to them as strongly as other people of my generation. I mostly connected to the Ray Parker Jr. song, which I had on a mixed tape and played constantly. So I still haven't seen the female reboot one, AFTERLIFE and don't know when I'll get to this sequel either, down the line. I'm probably the odd one out here.

No, you are not. Same here. I saw the first one at cinema and was already grown up enough to avoid watching the second one. I am not even sure, if I ever saw it completely at tv or just in parts because I hardly remember anything from it. I also never watched the cartoon show on TV. But I think, my brother did (even though he was too young to have watched the movie). And I avoided the sequels so far. Just dipped into the female remake on TV and switched it off after half an hour.

Concerning the song. My big sister was a fan of Huey Lewis and listened a lot to "I Want a New Drug" which caused that law suit at Ray Parker Jr. at that time. So, I could never enjoy the song as much.

• 5 months later...

The film is titled "Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire". Synopsis provided by the official Sony site:

In Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, the Spengler family returns to where it all started - the iconic NYC firehouse - to team up with the original Ghostbusters, who've developed a top-secret research lab to take busting ghosts to the next level. But when the discovery of an ancient artifact unleashes an evil force, Ghostbusters new and old must join forces to protect their home and save the world from a second Ice Age.

Today's trailer

46 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Was that Bill Murray in the teaser? I didn't see his name listed in the synopsis.

It was, and Dan Akroyd confirmed he was in it during an interview a few months back. If he doesn't get main billing maybe he doesn't have a big role.

The original still holds up. The sequel is still lame. Watched a bit of the reboot with the ladies, and switched channels. 'Afterlife' was well-intentioned, but was ruined for me by a rushed ending filled with too many callbacks and too much fan service.

This new teaser leaves me cold (pun intended) and underwhelmed. Probably for diehards only who don't want to hang up their proton packs.

I didn't mind the shift in tone, and appreciated that they at least tried something new with Afterlife. Ghostbusters II proved that the first was lightning in a bottle and wasn't a formula that could be easily replicated, so why try that again.

I liked the coming of age stuff, and Egon's grandkids discovering who he was and him interacting with them from beyond. It was a nice way to honour the character and Harold Ramis. Sure, it got schmaltzy at the end, but I'm a sucker for sentimentality.

I also liked the "Podcast" kid, who was straight out of 'The Goonies'. He was funnier than Bill Murray, whose jokes fell completely flat for me, and looked like he was just there for a payday.

But again, my one big complaint is that while Jason Reitman took his time to build things up, the ending felt rushed, lazy, and unsatisfying—with a lot of fan tummy rubbing.

On 09/11/2023 at 4:07 AM, mstrox said:

For me, Afterlife felt overly serious and droolingly reverent to the original movie to the point of bland sentimentality.  I know people who spent the last 30 years making their own jumpsuits and proton packs who absolutely loved it, and that makes sense to me because instead of a Ghostbusters movie, it feels more like a movie about Ghostbusters Superfans.  Faithful to the Lore of the first movie, but about the furthest thing possible from the tone of it.  No room for a Rick Moranis type pulling faces in this one.

I don’t feel dissuaded of that vibe by this trailer - maybe it’s the awful trailer music.

I agree it was a more serious take, but the humor felt more in line with the original than 2016. And yeah the reverence along with the nostalgia bait were far too heavy, as a ghostbusters superfan I don't need this film to keep referencing the first one to remind me of it, reference it because it makes sense within the story. Not sure what you mean by Rick Moranis pulling faces? 

As for the trailer, not sure I like the idea of New York freezing over but the Death Chill sounds like a really cool idea for a villain, Patton Oswalt (in the very brief clip) seemed to be like a Ray type character so not sure how that's going to work? But overall it hasn't put me off the movie, might be time to dust off the old Proton Pack. 

On 21/5/2023 at 4:49 AM, Thor said:

I’ll be honest and say the female version was a wasted film that could have had potential. It lacks the charm of the original film and wastes the talent of the cast. The main villain is weak as well. 

I did actually watch AFTERLIFE a couple of months ago, and quite enjoyed it for what it is. Lots of respect for the original in terms of visuals, style, tone. Although the original GHOSTBUSTERS cast was a bit wasted, and the ending somewhat lacklustre.

On 8/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I think it looks great!! I loved Afterlife and this looks very promising!

Also hoping that Rob Simonsen returns for the score. His did a fantastic job on Afterlife

I hope so too, his work is brilliant in Afterlife and the darker tone here could definitely be fun to hear him tackle. Also, Mark Graham (as of right now) is listed as an orchestrator on IMDb and he worked on Afterlife…hopefully this website is reliable for once.

• 2 months later...

Empire's done a spread on Frozen Empire.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/ghosbusters-frozen-empire-james-acaster-egon-spengler-type-exclusive/

Some things from the article:

• James Acaster's character is an 'Egon-type' character named Lars Pinfield, Patton Oswalt's character is called Dr. Hubert Wartzki, and Kumail Nanjiani's character is Nadeem Razmaadi.
  • Janine's actually getting involved, she has a Ghostbusters jumpsuit.
  • Slimer is back.

No news on the composer yet.

I'm unfamiliar with this new composer, so I'll withhold judgment, though I do lament that we didn't get Rob Simonsen. He handled both new and old material really well.

I've only heard Marianellis Bumblebee score, which really complimentad Jablonskys work while standing on its own. 

I got Rob Simonsens Afterlife score for Christmas just gone and find it to be heavily reliant on a lot of Bernsteins themes and just straight up copying a lot of the music from the first movie. But did enjoy the few sparing moments that aren't wholly lifted from the original. 

So looking forward to what Marianelli has to bring musically but also where Gil Kenan takes us. 

Peter Bernstein (Elmer's son) is a score consulant on this one. Just like he was on Afterlife.

And the Yamaha DX17 is also being used. Just like Bernstein & Simonsen did.

44 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Peter Bernstein (Elmer's son) is a score consulant on this one. Just like he was on Afterlife.

And the Yamaha DX17 is also being used. Just like Bernstein & Simonsen did.

Has that been announced somewhere?

EDIT: He lists it on his site by its old name, Firehouse.

19 hours ago, Giftheck said:

I'm unfamiliar with this new composer

I like his scores for Pride & Prejudice, V for Vendetta, Atonement (one of the rare instances  over the past 15 years where the Academy Award was well deserved), Agora, The Boxtrolls and Kubo & the Two Strings. None of which may inform what he'll do in Frozen Empire though.

I like Marianelli and I’m sure he still has massive potential to surprise.

I’ve really been enjoying Everest lately. It’s very simple compositionally but love the textures.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2024 at 7:05 PM, LSH said:

I’ve really been enjoying Everest lately. It’s very simple compositionally but love the textures.

I love Everest, and a beautiful example of a score that doesn't need complex melodies or sounds to be a damn good score.

• 5 weeks later...

So the new younger cast from Afterlife, particularly the little girl, has been pushed to the sides in favor of Paul Rudd and Bill Murray? huh

I definitely hear elements of Bernstein's Ghostbuster's theme in there, which isn't surprising given Peter Bernstein came back as a score consultant.

On 29/02/2024 at 5:42 PM, Tallguy said:

I'm excited for the film. But does anyone else think Murray just kind of seems... There?

Yeah Murray definitely comes across as being there because he's contractually obligated. As a fan I don't want to see him forced into the film, if he doesn't want to be there the writers should come up with something to explain why he's not there. Rather that than see him on autopilot and just coast through the film. 

7 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Yeah Murray definitely comes across as being there because he's contractually obligated. As a fan I don't want to see him forced into the film, if he doesn't want to be there the writers should come up with something to explain why he's not there. Rather that than see him on autopilot and just coast through the film. 

Saw the new trailer on the big screen last week. Murray seems better at scale. But Ackroyd (in the trailer) is running away with it.

15 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Saw the new trailer on the big screen last week. Murray seems better at scale. But Ackroyd (in the trailer) is running away with it.

Well Ackroyd is the heart of the Ghostbusters, so that's not surprising 😂. Not sure what trailer I saw these last two weeks when I went to watch Raider's and Doom at the cinema, but the clip of Paul Rudd doing the lyrics from the theme is pretty funny. Still not sure about Murray though. 

Album cover and tracklist announced

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2024/03/13/ghostbusters-frozen-empire-soundtrack-album-details/

Here’s the album track list:

1. Manhattan Adventurers Society
2. The Sewer Dragon
3. Firehouse
4. Ray’s Occult
5. A Ghost in the Attic
6. Chess in the Park
7. When the Light is Green…
8. Paranormal Research Center
9. A Call
10. The Orb
11. A Tour of the Firehouse
12. Slimer
13. Dadi’s Secret Room
14. Should We Investigate?
15. Dr. Wartzki
16. Patience
17. Golden Years
18. It’s Your Turn
19. Ionic Separator
20. Now He Can Control You
21. The Horns
22. Back to Headquarters
23. New Proton Packs
24. Possessor’s Mistake
25. Was Any of it Real?
26. Last Frozen Stand
27. The Thawing
28. In the Fabric of the Universe

I was thinking of passing on this one, but since it's set in New York, my recent trip there has piqued my interest.

I had the chance to visit the firehouse, which I recommend to even casual fans. For those who don't know, it's still an operating station, and they went out on a call as I was visiting.

I also checked out the New York Public Library, with its stone lions flanking the front...

But I should've refreshed my memory and rewatched the movie before, cuz I for some reason thought it was the one on the left shown at the beginning. So there I was going "Oh cool!" and taking pics of that one and ignoring the actual "star."

But now I see in the trailer for 'Frozen Empire' that the left one comes alive and roars at Dan Aykroyd—so apparently my attention wasn't wasted. lol