Jerry Goldsmith - City Hall (2023 Varese Deluxe Edition)

Faleel

Great news! I guess I have to ask for a replacement copy from Music Box Records where I ordered this release. They usually include these in the next order I make (after they receive their replacement copies that is).

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, out of the blue I received my replacement (repressed) City Hall disc, just the CD itself.

It does not have the blemish on the actual disc, yay!

Due to my current condition, see the Solo thread avatar madness, it will probably be a month before I can traverse the stairs to rip it. 😄

I didn't encounter any issues while ripping the CD using EAC. Error correction was applied to the first tracks if I remember well, but the process completed without any errors.

There was a track on my Morricone box set that took 3 hours to encode. However, the encoding process ultimately concluded without any errors. Since I never use a CD to listen to music directly, I'm completely fine with that.

39 minutes ago, Ollie said:

out of the blue

?

On 01/08/2023 at 6:50 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

A mishap during the manufacturing process of the CD has resulted in a physical defect in the final product, which has caused an audio playback glitch. We have raised the issue with our manufacturer, who will be repressing the entire run of CDs. As a result, you will be receiving a replacement CD in the mail, free of charge.

Yes @Jay I know they are shipping out replacements. 

I wasn’t aware they had started shipping already, hence the statement out of the blue. 

On 28/07/2023 at 6:17 PM, Eplicon said:

My copy arrived this afternoon, and unfortunately, it has the aforementioned defect and sound anomalies.  As @John Takis said, this blemish is not very easy to spot, and even harder to get a picture without getting reflections from everything else.  

EAC did me no favors, either.  Rather than rip the disc right away, I decided to do the "test selected tracks" first, just to get an idea of what might happen.  And it wasn't very encouraging. The "Est. remaining" number for the entire disc kept on increasing and increasing to the point where it probably would still be stuck on track 1.  Like I'm going to spend over two weeks to rip a CD.

Still waiting like most for Varese to address this issue and correct it since the so-called replacement copies have the same problem.  Right now I'm not too eager to deal with their customer support (aka Misty) since I had a really difficult time with her over a lost shipment last year before it was finally resolved.

City Hall defective disc blob.jpg

EAC_City Hall defective disc.jpg

BTW, consider adjusting the recovery quality to 'HIGH' in EAC. It might help improve the results.

image.png

You'll pass from image.png :mellow:

To image.png :cheer:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Sold out

https://varesesarabande.com/collections/jerry-goldsmith/products/city-hall-deluxe-edition-cd

I hadn't even ordered mine yet - was waiting for the bad pressing issues to be resolved :(

Same here 😭 

I did the “sign up to be notified” thing in case they get more copies later like they did with Lionheart.

Yavar

I never got around to ordering even one, alas. I initially held off because of the manufacturing defect, and was waiting for Varese to restock after they moved their warehouse. If anyone ordered an extra copy and is willing to sell or trade it to me, let me know!

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm surprised this wasn't released digitally.

True, since LA Confidential had a similar licensing situation and yet was given a simultaneous digital release when Varese announced the CD. It sucks.

I'll also note that Varese didn't release their new DEs of Lionheart or Death Becomes Her digitally either -- their last two rapid sell-outs before this one. Tells you how much CD sales get impacted when something is readily available on Spotify, I guess.

Yavar

Quartet's Russia House expansion sold out quickly too

LLL's Star Trek 5 expansion sold out and was reissued by Intrada

Intrada's The Shadow, Damnation Alley, In Harm's Way, The Secret Of NIMH, Rio Conchos, Baby, One LIttle Indiana, Lonely Guy, Morituri, and Extreme Prejudice all sold out

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Quartet's Russia House expansion sold out quickly too

LLL's Star Trek 5 expansion sold out and was reissued by Intrada

Intrada's The Shadow, Damnation Alley, In Harm's Way, The Secret Of NIMH, Rio Conchos, Baby, One LIttle Indiana, Lonely Guy, Morituri, and Extreme Prejudice all sold out

Some of those are older. But I didn't know expansions release in the last few years can still sell out within a year or so.

I'm sure this hasn't sold out. It's been cancelled. There was no warning, it disappeared due to Varese moving to a new location, and then didn't return. 250 Goldsmiths in the collection, but not this one. Pity. I'm left with the first edition. I'll never put off buying any Goldsmith or Williams again.

Of course it is because it wasn’t a limited release! But many (most?) of us Goldsmith fans find that his music plays differently — and usually better — in complete form.

The original album for The Russia House was only missing what, 10 minutes of music? But those 10 minutes added back in added much needed variety to the score, and made the complete score listening experience feel more enjoyable and actually shorter than the original hourlong album, IMO.

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

I'm sure this hasn't sold out. It's been cancelled. There was no warning, it disappeared due to Varese moving to a new location, and then didn't return. 250 Goldsmiths in the collection, but not this one. Pity. I'm left with the first edition. I'll never put off buying any Goldsmith or Williams again.

I feel your pain. 😢 

Yavar

12 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I feel your pain. 😢 

Maybe you don't have to anymore. :) 

I managed to buy this at the Japanese Ark Square store, along with Avatar the Way of Water. They still seem to have it in stock. ($32.80)

https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=VCL-807-253-2335

I just don't know whether the disc will be defective or not, because I don't remember whether Varese pressed all of them with an error and then sent replacements to all customers and stores, or whether it concerned only the first copies and then they sold the corrected ones. I wrote to Ark Square to add a replacement if they have it.

EDIT: they replied :) 

We have got the lot of the amended second pressings for "CITY HALL". :)

Man that sucks, I find it hard to believe City Hall sold out that quickly. Something doesn’t sound right. Especially since there were a lot of the regulars who held off buying due to the manufacturing defect.

22 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I never got around to ordering even one, alas. I initially held off because of the manufacturing defect, and was waiting for Varese to restock after they moved their warehouse. If anyone ordered an extra copy and is willing to sell or trade it to me, let me know!

There is a brand new copy on eBay for GBP39.95 still available, shipping from the UK.

20 hours ago, crocodile said:

I never received my replacement. 

Karol

That's too bad. I did, months ago. Originally ordered from Music Box Records. 

• 3 months later...