28 minutes ago, Thor said:

Welcome, Ralfie! There are many previous threads on this topic (I'll leave it to others to link), but it's always nice when someone comes into the forum with unbridled, fresh enthusiasm. :)

I haven't done a top 10 in a while now, but it could possibly look like this at the moment:

1. JURASSIC PARK

2. Return of the Jedi

3. Jane Eyre

4. Angela's Ashes

5. A.I.

6. Hook

7. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

8. Far & Away

9. E.T.

10. Not With My Wife You Don't

Or something. Except for the top 3, these things change a bit.

A great list, A pleasure to meet you, Thor.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

10. Not With My Wife You Don't

I'm still surprised by the inclusion of Not with my wife you don't, and not other masterpieces like - let's say- Schindler's List, etc.

Anyway, my list (the first 2 are always the same, the rest not in a particular order):

1. E.T.

2. Hook

Superman: the movie

Schindler's List

The Empire Strikes back

Jurassic Park

Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom

A.I.-Artificial Intelligence

Memoirs of a Geisha

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone

Welcome Rafie.

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm still surprised by the inclusion of Not with my wife you don't, and not other masterpieces like - let's say- Schindler's List, etc.

He, he, yeah. Fortunately, a list of 'favourites' is more personal than trying to more objectively assess his 'best' (which is impossible to do objectively anyway), so that leaves space for inclusions like that. SCHINDLER'S LIST is a masterpiece, but it's a tough listen and one I rarely play. NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T, on the other hand, gives me immensely more pleasure as a listening experience.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

He, he, yeah. Fortunately, a list of 'favourites' is more personal than trying to more objectively assess his 'best' (which is impossible to do objectively anyway), so that leaves space for inclusions like that. SCHINDLER'S LIST is a masterpiece, but it's a tough listen and one I rarely play. NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T, on the other hand, gives me immensely more pleasure as a listening experience.

What cd do  you usually listen to?

The first one with the 12 tracks?

I assume you haven't bought Vol. 2, right?

Hi, there, @JWilliamsFan1999.

For what it's worth, my favourite ten JW scores are - in chronological order:

CINDERELLA LIBERTY

THE TOWERING INFERNO

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

SUPERMAN

RETURN OF THE JEDI

THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK

EMPIRE OF THE SUN

THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST

J.F.K.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hi, there, @JWilliamsFan1999.

For what it's worth, my favourite ten JW scores are - in chronological order:

CINDERELLA LIBERTY

THE TOWERING INFERNO

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

SUPERMAN

RETURN OF THE JEDI

THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK

EMPIRE OF THE SUN

THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST

J.F.K.

OMG, I totally forgot that I love his score for Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and Superman (1978). I really love the March from 1941, very well done piece but I have not listened to the whole score to 1941. Would you recommend it to me, @Naïve Old Fart?

Dont make me do this!!!!! :D

1. The Lost World
  2. The Phantom Menace
  3. Schindler's List
  4. War Horse
  5. Jaws 2
  6. Jane Eyre
  7. Indiana Jones (i can't choose)
  8. War of the Worlds
  9. Far and Away
  10. The rest of Star Wars (I can't chooooooose)

2 hours ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

OMG, I totally forgot that I love his score for Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and Superman (1978). I really love the March from 1941, very well done piece but I have not listened to the whole score to 1941. Would you recommend it to me, @Naïve Old Fart?

I would, but then, I'm just a tiny bit biased, aren't I? :lol:

Seriously though, I've loved this score since I bought it, in December, 1979 (the film is, also, in my all-time top-10).

It's bombastic, and it's short on melody - the only tune is the march, other "themes" are more like extended motifs. Don't expect STAR WARS, or SUPERMAN, but if you don't mind film music loud, and very much "in your face", then, chances are, you'll find much to enjoy.

Go onto YouTube and watch the astonishing "Dance At The U.S.O." sequence, featuring "Swing Swing Swing".

So well-scored, so well-choreographed, so well-photographed, so well-edited.

25 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

the film is, also, in my all-time top-10

1941?

OMG, I on the contrary can't stand it.

I have it on blu-ray in a Spielberg box I got yeaaaars ago, and I still haven't seen it (again).

1. Star Wars

2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

3. Schindler’s List

4. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

5. Superman The Movie

6. The Empire Strikes Back

7. Jaws

8. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

9. Jurassic Park

10. Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone

11. Home Alone

12. Hook

13. Born On The Fourth Of July

14. Saving Private Ryan

15. War Horse

16. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

17. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

18. Memoirs Of A Geisha

19. Empire Of The Sun

20. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

21. Amistad

22. Return Of The Jedi

23. Far And Away

24. Seven Years In Tibet

25. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

26. JFK

27. Jane Eyre

28. Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

29. The Fabelmans

30. The Adventures Of Tintin: Secret Of The Unicorn

My top 30 favorite Williams’ scores.

Welcome Rafie!  Glad you found us, hope you’ll stay. Did the excitement of the new Indiana Jones bring you here?  I’m one of the over 50 members here, so I’ve been listening a long time. 

Rather than list my top 10, I’ll list suggestions for where you should explore beyond the scores you mentioned.  To really explore John Williams, you should enjoy trying works from ALL eras of his career.   My personal opinion is that ANYTHING from 1975-1984 is absolutely worth your time.  And that includes Heartbeeps and Monsignor. 

So in very rough chronological order:

Early Comedies:

How to Steal a Million

Fitzwilly

Both are standouts in whimsical and romantic playful writing that would pop up later in more famous works (and Sabrina harkens back to these)

Early Drama:

None but the Brave

Doesnt get much love, but it shows early dramatic writing promise

Westerns:

The Cowboys is a must!  A fine example of Coplandesque style and Americana. 

The Missouri Breaks and The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing are both Westerns that use a more 1970s contemporary approach. I recommend them because they both show Williams’ talent and versatility as a songwriter.  They have pop sensibility and songs that could’ve and did have lyrics and pop style recordings. 

Special Mention Period Drama:

Jane Eyre You absolutely MUST give this a try. Probably most of us never saw the film, but it doesn’t matter. This will fuel your imagination to conjure up a powerful English period drama in your mind.  It’s astonishing this was written so long ago, but parts of it sound like they could be from a Harry Potter mystery.  Highly recommended for listeners who don’t need action music to appreciate Williams. 

1974 - 1984 masterpieces:

The Towering Inferno

Arguably nothing in the score reaches the soaring heights of the Main Title, but it’s a fine predecessor to the disaster and action style scoring heard later in Superman. 

Jaws 2 

Some people argue it’s a better score than Jaws. I don’t think so, but it is absolutely glorious. 

Dracula/The Fury

These make a fine double feature of operatic, gothic Williams from his golden period. 

its been mentioned, and I’ll add that it is just so much fun. And it sounds like Williams had fun writing it. 

Heartbeeps

Has a bad reputation probably because it’s attached to an unpopular bomb. I’d argue that it’s very experimental, and in its own way playfully romantic.  My advice: start with the End Titles.  Some of the melodies and intervals are much like the friendship theme from E.T.  a year later. 

The River

Sumptuous Americana writing.  Some pop style rhythms to make it contemporary.  

Transitional Years:

SpaceCamp

An absolute gem that stands out in his transitional years to more mature dramatic writing 

Far and Away

Perhaps my favorite from the 90s.  Oozing with charm. Starts out Irish flavored, transforms to American Western. Sublime and thrilling. The Land Race is easily a career best. 

The Lost World

Better than the original. Jazzy, gripping, tribal. This score has a throbbing pulse that doesn’t let up. 

Hook

Richly thematic. Very sugary, but also some exciting swashbuckling music.  The kind of writing that would appear in Home Alone and Harry Potter. 

“Modern” Era:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence 

Complex, frighteningly dark, but achingly beautiful.  It took me a few years to appreciate this for the masterpiece that it is. 

War Horse

A more modern take on emotional friendship that proved that although years have passed since E.T. Williams can still get you in the heart with a friendship story between a boy and his, er, horse. 

Those are my highest recommendations. Honorable mentions go to the Witches of Eastwick , The Patriot, Memoirs of a Geisha, the Book Thief, and Lincoln. I’m sure I’ve forgotten some. 

The score I could listen to every day and not get sick of it is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. 

Happy listening, and hope you stick around. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

The score I could listen to every day and not get sick of it is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Welcome Ralfie!

Andy, this had been a favourite of mine since 1990... (still remember listening to the Japanese import with headphones/discman on one of our town's squares) <3 ...for the record:

I love Empire and Star Wars, Raiders and also Crusade ... Stanley and Iris I have been putting on for half an hour of peace and bliss for decades now...

...and then there are many, many others ... E.T. I listened to on a weekly basis in the 90s... ...Close Encounters is amazing in its tone-colour-to-diatonic-transfiguration journey ...and then there's Superman (always loved the march) that keeps on growing and growing on me. Speaking of marches: 1941 is marvellous fun!

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Welcome Rafie!  Glad you found us, hope you’ll stay. Did the excitement of the new Indiana Jones bring you here?  I’m one of the over 50 members here, so I’ve been listening a long time. 

Rather than list my top 10, I’ll list suggestions for where you should explore beyond the scores you mentioned.  To really explore John Williams, you should enjoy trying works from ALL eras of his career.   My personal opinion is that ANYTHING from 1975-1984 is absolutely worth your time.  And that includes Heartbeeps and Monsignor. 

So in very rough chronological order:

Early Comedies:

How to Steal a Million

Fitzwilly

Both are standouts in whimsical and romantic playful writing that would pop up later in more famous works (and Sabrina harkens back to these)

Early Drama:

None but the Brave

Doesnt get much love, but it shows early dramatic writing promise

Westerns:

The Cowboys is a must!  A fine example of Coplandesque style and Americana. 

The Missouri Breaks and The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing are both Westerns that use a more 1970s contemporary approach. I recommend them because they both show Williams’ talent and versatility as a songwriter.  They have pop sensibility and songs that could’ve and did have lyrics and pop style recordings. 

Special Mention Period Drama:

Jane Eyre You absolutely MUST give this a try. Probably most of us never saw the film, but it doesn’t matter. This will fuel your imagination to conjure up a powerful English period drama in your mind.  It’s astonishing this was written so long ago, but parts of it sound like they could be from a Harry Potter mystery.  Highly recommended for listeners who don’t need action music to appreciate Williams. 

1974 - 1984 masterpieces:

The Towering Inferno

Arguably nothing in the score reaches the soaring heights of the Main Title, but it’s a fine predecessor to the disaster and action style scoring heard later in Superman. 

Jaws 2 

Some people argue it’s a better score than Jaws. I don’t think so, but it is absolutely glorious. 

Dracula/The Fury

These make a fine double feature of operatic, gothic Williams from his golden period. 

its been mentioned, and I’ll add that it is just so much fun. And it sounds like Williams had fun writing it. 

Heartbeeps

Has a bad reputation probably because it’s attached to an unpopular bomb. I’d argue that it’s very experimental, and in its own way playfully romantic.  My advice: start with the End Titles.  Some of the melodies and intervals are much like the friendship theme from E.T.  a year later. 

The River

Sumptuous Americana writing.  Some pop style rhythms to make it contemporary.  

Transitional Years:

SpaceCamp

An absolute gem that stands out in his transitional years to more mature dramatic writing 

Far and Away

Perhaps my favorite from the 90s.  Oozing with charm. Starts out Irish flavored, transforms to American Western. Sublime and thrilling. The Land Race is easily a career best. 

The Lost World

Better than the original. Jazzy, gripping, tribal. This score has a throbbing pulse that doesn’t let up. 

Hook

Richly thematic. Very sugary, but also some exciting swashbuckling music.  The kind of writing that would appear in Home Alone and Harry Potter. 

“Modern” Era:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence 

Complex, frighteningly dark, but achingly beautiful.  It took me a few years to appreciate this for the masterpiece that it is. 

War Horse

A more modern take on emotional friendship that proved that although years have passed since E.T. Williams can still get you in the heart with a friendship story between a boy and his, er, horse. 

Those are my highest recommendations. Honorable mentions go to the Witches of Eastwick , The Patriot, Memoirs of a Geisha, the Book Thief, and Lincoln. I’m sure I’ve forgotten some. 

Happy listening, and hope you stick around. 

Thank you so much @Andy, I really appreciate this so much

Has everyone here heard his scores for the Olympics? Soooo good as well.

11 minutes ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

Thank you so much @Andy, I really appreciate this so much

Has everyone here heard his scores for the Olympics? Soooo good as well.

And Yes, @Andy, the new Indiana Jones film made me join the forum. I just enjoyed that movie very much that I wanted to show my appreciation for John Williams as well so It's my pleasure to be here. 

Yes his various Olympic fanfares are pretty legendary around here. We tend to get very granular in regards to these things.  But it’s good that you mention his non-film work too.  If you don’t already have it, American Journey is a good starting point for his non-film celebratory works. 

Once you’ve experienced all his film and media works, you may want to consider some of his more formal classical concertos. Star Wars they ain’t, but they’re fun to listen and find the writing that may not be filmic or melodic, yet still undeniably Williams. 

It can become quite a journey depending on how far you care to go.  

13 hours ago, filmmusic said:

1941?

OMG, I on the contrary can't stand it.

I have it on blu-ray in a Spielberg box I got yeaaaars ago, and I still haven't seen it (again).

Horses for courses, dear boy, horses for courses :)

10. Jurassic Park

9. Schindler’s List

8. Jaws 

7. Close Encounters of the Third Kind 

6. E.T. 

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark 

4. Superman: The Movie

3. Return of the Jedi

2. The Empire Strikes Back 

1. Star Wars 

My top ten, as of right now.

1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  2. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
  3. The Empire Strikes Back
  4. Jaws
  5. Jurassic Park
  6. Superman
  7. Attack of the Clones
  8. The BFG
  9. Minority Report
  10. Images

If you are new to JW's music, a few others I might suggest are

The Five Sacred Trees

Yo-Yo Ma plays the Music of John Williams

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration III

5 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Those are his most accessible concertos, so not really? 

Well, I wouldn't recommend concert music to someone new to John Williams.

Just his most famous and accessible film scores.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Well, I wouldn't recommend concert music to someone new to John Williams.

Just his most famous and accessible film scores.

It's still John Williams music, though. I don't really care where the music comes from, as long as it's good. If they disagree, they don't have to listen to them. I was just offering a recommendation to dig a little deeper.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@JWilliamsFan1999, if you want to get into JW's back catalogue, you could do a lot worse than get the 2-disc Sony set that was released in 1999.

Btw, what are your favourite JW scores?

@Naïve Old Fart, I really love all of his Star Wars (original and Prequels) scores, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter (first three movies that he composed), Jaws, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and Indiana Jones (Raiders, Temple Of Doom, Last Crusade and Dial Of Destiny)

Just now, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

@Naïve Old Fart, I really love all of his Star Wars (original and Prequels) scores, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter (first three movies that he composed), Jaws, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and Indiana Jones (Raiders, Temple Of Doom, Last Crusade and Dial Of Destiny)

No love for E.T.:crymore:

It's my favorite score of all time!

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

@filmmusic @Naïve Old Fart, Oh of course I almost forgot I do love his amazing score for E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. I currently own the 20th anniversary soundtrack that was released in 2002. Love it.

I currently own the 20th anniversary soundtrack that was released in 2002. Love it.

You really should get the latest LLL release which is even more complete.

It's still available I see.

https://lalalandrecords.com/e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-40th-anniversary-edition-re-issue-2-cd-set/

9 minutes ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

A conspicuous lack of Crystal Skull. Also, don't discount the ST scores. The films are whatever, but the music is top-notch late Williams.

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

You really should get the latest LLL release which is even more complete.

It's still available I see.

https://lalalandrecords.com/e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-40th-anniversary-edition-re-issue-2-cd-set/

Do you own that release? I just ordered the Jurassic Park La La Land soundtrack, I'm just waiting for it to arrive to me in the mail. @filmmusic

Do you own that release? I just ordered the Jurassic Park La La Land soundtrack, I'm just waiting for it to arrive to me in the mail. @filmmusic

Yes, of course! ;)

Wouldn't I get the most complete release of my favorite soundtrack ever?

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I have a lot of love, for E.T. 

The score has been in my life for over 41 years. I even saw the LSO perform "Adventures On Earth", at Barbican, in the summer of 1982 - conducted by the man himself, of course.

Over the years, however, a lot of what were top-10 scores (E.T.; RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK; THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK) have slipped out of my rankings, to be replaced with other pieces of work (J.F.K.; RETURN OF THE JEDI; THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST).

After having CINDERELLA LIBERTY in my life for well over 47 years, it crept up, on me. I guess that CINDERELLA LIBERTY is, to me, what NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T, is to @Thor.

I've nothing against any score which no longer resides in the upper echelons of my collection, it's just the way that my personal tastes have developed.

If you think that's weird, you should see my Jerry top-10 :lol:

2 hours ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

Does anyone here like this John Williams release from 2019? I sure do

I must confess, I bought this just for the Adagio.

But yes, it is a good album. Despite this I can't help thinking sometimes, that man wrote about 300 amazing hours of music. Why does he always perform the same two hours in concert?

That’s a point - do we have/have we had a thread on the use of JW’s music in trailers? If not, I’d be interested in learning more and watching some examples.

Mark

21 hours ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

Eagerly waiting for my package to arrive in the mail, I ordered the La La Land Jurassic Park soundtrack and I can't wait!!!

Does anyone here like this John Williams release from 2019? I sure do

I try not speak ill of things people like (I fail sometimes), especially someone with as much enthusiasm as you, so I won't. I second @Naïve Old Fart that you could do worse than the Best of John Williams set from 1999. Any of his Phillips or Sony recordings will be better for this material as the conducting (JW himself at the podium), performance, and recording quality will be much better, which, I'm sorry to say, is very poor in this recording.

1 hour ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

Another great John Williams album!!! A true favorite of mine, for sure.

The first disc of this, was one of the very first Williams cds I owned. Maybe the first, I don't remember.

And how I loved the artwork too!

EsWsFnjUcAA8oNf.jpg

3 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Yes, it’s very good. Dartmoor, 1912 is my favorite of all the various concert arrangements.

Is it different than the ost track? I don't remember.

The second volume of that series will always remain my favourite. I have such a special connection to that, from how I got it to its actual content.