Vote for the Next Living Film Composer That Should Be Featured in 'Écoutez le cinéma' Series

Bespin

Vote for the Next Living Film Composer That Should Be Featured in 'Écoutez le cinéma' Series  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which living film music composer should be the next focus of 'Écoutez le cinéma' series?

• Hans Zimmer
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • Thomas Newman
    • Howard Shore
    • Rachel Portman
    • Danny Elfman
    • Carter Burwell
    • Alan Silvestri
    • James Newton Howard
    • Mychael Danna
    • Other (Please Specify)

Having honored Michel Legrand, Ennio Morricone, and John Williams in the 'Écoutez le cinéma' series, I'm eager to hear your preferences for the next living film composer to be featured...

I prefer to curate my own composer collections, so boxes like these aren't really for me. But I'd take a Vangelis 20-CD box that contains a LOT of his unreleased material.

[Edit....oh, forgot about the 'living' part. Some other synth heroes, then, whose soundtrack release record is skimpy. Sylvester Levay, for example]

Why does it have to be a living composer. It makes much more sense to pay homage to someone who isn't alive but left a huge body of work. In fact, I think these boxes should prioritize legendary composers who have a lot of scores waiting to be discovered by the general audience, like Morricone himself.

None personally.   Any composer I’d care enough about, I’d already own everything available from them that I want. This was the case with Williams. If they put something unreleased of value in a box like this, I’d probably be pissy that they didn’t just do an album specific to that score.

31 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Why does it have to be a living composer. It makes much more sense to pay homage to someone who isn't alive but left a huge body of work. 

Indeed. It's a bit of an odd criterion to have for this sort of thing.

I think, when I look at the box's program I could easily sit there for two or three days and listen through the whole thing. Same works for the Morricone boxes. But the thought of listening to 18 or 20 Danny Elfman albums in a row really gives me a headache. 

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Gabriel Yared.

What a perfect opportunity to release a complete and chronological TROY.

I'd pay full price just for that.

Listening to the score for "Ghost Story", I thought "Hey, why not Philippe Sarde?" Plus he's French, so that might give him an edge.

There are many good suggestions, thank you for your participation. Not surprisingly, a consensus seems to be forming around Howard Shore. It must be said that such an anthology would lend itself well to his vast and varied body of work. He is much more than Cronenberg's designated composer since 1979, and far more than the composer of 'The Lord of the Rings' too.

In addition to collaborations with Peter Jackson and David Cronenberg, he has composed music for films directed by Martin Scorsese ("Gangs of New York", "The Departed", "The Aviator", "Hugo"), Jonathan Demme ("Philadelphia", "The Silence of the Lambs"), David Fincher ("Seven", "Panic Room", "The Game"), Tim Burton ("Ed Wood"), Frank Oz & Robert De Niro ("The Score"), Chris Columbus ("Mrs. Doubtfire"), Al Pacino ("Looking for Richard"), Tom McCarthy ("Spotlight"), Mick Jackson ("Denial"), François Girard ("The Song of Names"), Robert Benton ("Nobody's Fool"), Barbet Schroeder ("Before and After"), Arnaud Desplechin ("Esther Kahn"), David Slade ("The Twilight Saga: Eclipse"), Penny Marshall ("Big"), Robert Shaye ("The Last Mimzy"), John Patrick Shanley ("Doubt"), and Phillip Noyce ("Sliver").

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Shore would be a nice choice, actually. It'd be a great opportunity for people who are well aware of his Middle Earth music to get acquainted with his considerable non-Tolkien body of work.

Universal Music France already released a pretty good 2CD set, in their Écoutez Le Cinéma series, that I would love to own, a compilation that covers pretty much all the essential bases of his work. But I believe it's OOP and hard to find these days:

https://www.discogs.com/release/11084055-Howard-Shore-The-Essential-Howard-Shore

Indeed, it was an exercise before the real thing to come.

Unfortunately, I was never able to find this CD collection. Does anyone have it?