How to Pronounce Film Composers’ Names

JTN

There are film composers whose names are not evident how to pronounce or not easy to pronounce properly.

My first entry is the name of Hungarian composer Miklós Rózsa. 

The “s” at the end of his first name is pronounced like the “sh” in English. 
And the “zs” in his last name is pronounced like how the “ge” at the end of “rouge”. 

The Hungarian word “rózsa” means “rose”.

Hans Zimmer, to be pronounced correctly like in German in English spelling would be "Hunns Tsimmer" and translated to English language it would be "John Room".

Like John Hans is derived from "Johann" or "Johannes" so it's pretty much the same name.

How do you pronounce Lalo Schifrin’s last name? 

“Shifrin” or “Skifrin”?

How do you pronounce Alexandre Desplat’s last name? Do you say the “s” or is it silent?

I believe it’s something like Des-plaw. At least, that’s how an acquaintance pronounced it and she was apparently a big fan of his.

I always wanted to know how to pronounce "Zbigniew Preisner" (more the "Zbigniew" part than the "Preisner" part).

I have a lot of difficulty with languages from Northern and Eastern Europe.

11 hours ago, eitam said:

The "t" is silent but not the "s". Desspla. 

Here he pronounces his own name (thanks Wikipedia) 

Indeed. Leave it to proper names to be exempt from the more traditional ways of pronouncing (or not pronouncing) s'es in French. Usually, the 's' is silent before a consonant like 'p'.

I'm reminded of my old high school librarian, whose last name was 'Høst'. She was a Frankofile, and loved to say her name would be "invisible" in France. The 'H' at the front would be silent, the 'st' at the end would be silent and they don't have the 'ø'. So not much left! :)

4 hours ago, Trope said:

I've often wondered, how do you guys pronounce "John Williams"?

If you used the German pronounciation, you should spell his name like "Djonn Uilliäms".

And translated into the respective German names he would be called "Hans Wilhelm".

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Indeed. Leave it to proper names to be exempt from the more traditional ways of pronouncing (or not pronouncing) s'es in French. Usually, the 's' is silent before a consonant like 'p'.

I'm reminded of my old high school librarian, whose last name was 'Høst'. She was a Frankofile, and loved to say her name would be "invisible" in France. The 'H' at the front would be silent, the 'st' at the end would be silent and they don't have the 'ø'. So not much left! :)

I guess we would call her 'ost' and pronounce all the letter :)

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Woe-check Keelar I believe.

The 'W' is pronounced more like a 'V', I believe, but I'm not 100% sure.

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Woe-check Keelar I believe.

First name seems wrong though... probably the "American" pronunciation, don't know why that stuck in my head.

According to Wikipedia, it's: [ˈvɔjt͡ɕɛx ˈkʲilar]. Which is more IPA than I can handle, but it seems at least close to "Voytek".

This may seem ridiculous, but I'm serious, because I've heard it said both ways.

Michael Kamen - Is his last name pronounced Kay-men or Ca-men?

That's how I usually say it, but I want to be sure. 

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I always wanted to know how to pronounce "Zbigniew Preisner" (more the "Zbigniew" part than the "Preisner" part).

I think the "z" at the beginning is pronunced like the "z" in "zenith". The "w" is pronounced like a simple "v". 

At least that's how I, a Hungarian pronounce a Polish name. I might be wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Phillipe Sarde

Help, please. I’m not  French, nor do I speak it. 

I like this thread. It makes me feel better about myself.  Although I don’t imagine I will remember “Voy-chek Keelar” without serious practice. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Phillipe Sarde

Help, please. I’m not  French, nor do I speak it. 

It's pretty straightforward, with the last e silent, and the a as in 'sad'. Fileep Sard. You can also use a guttural r if you want to feel proper French.

On 04/01/2024 at 11:34 PM, Trope said:

I've often wondered, how do you guys pronounce "John Williams"?

Can't tell which of the above posts are joking and which are serious, but just to set the record straight...

On 04/01/2024 at 10:22 PM, Edmilson said:

Zbeeg-nyev.

On 05/01/2024 at 3:29 AM, Andy said:

Wojciech Kilar?

Voy-cheh (not "Voy-check").

That said, the pronunciation of Polish names/surnames often gets mangled in English/American contexts, especially when their holders adopt such pronunciations. Like the Wachowski brothers would be properly pronounced "Va-hov-skee" not "Wa-chow-skee", or Steve Wozniak would be "Vozh-nyak" not "Wah-znyak". No wonder people get confused!

On 4/1/2024 at 10:29 PM, Andy said:

Wojciech Kilar?

Here are a couple of Polish guys pronouncing it:

https://forvo.com/word/wojciech_kilar/