James Horner: The Emotionalist (4-Volume biography by Jean-Baptiste Martin)

Jay

16 hours ago, crocodile said:

Cool, I am really looking forward to this. It's interesting that both Goldsmith and Horner receive multi-volume books around the same time.

Karol

Is this book going to have surprising quotations from the earlier Goldsmith book? 

(Kidding!) 

This will be awesome and congratulations! 

50 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Is this book going to have surprising quotations from the earlier Goldsmith book? 

(Kidding!) 

This will be awesome and congratulations! 

:D
I quote this book once. A familiar quote, of course.

44 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Some of you have had time to download and read the free excerpts? extract 7 pages_light.jpg

If so, let me know what you think! Your opinion means a lot to me.

Will do. I did download it but did not yet have time to read anything.

I do have a random question actually. Do you happen to know what did the recording dates for The Legend of Zorro took place in 2005? I know you have encyclopedic knowledge of everything Horner and I was curious to see which AFM reuse rules apply to this great score. 😀

Karol

On 16/01/2024 at 9:06 AM, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Some of you have had time to download and read the free excerpts? extract 7 pages_light.jpg

If so, let me know what you think! Your opinion means a lot to me.

I really love the personal recollections and thorough footnotes.  Interesting that James loved “imitating English accents”.  Clearly what I gleamed from the few pages released was of a more rounded, human person than I had previously known.  Like the humor as kids of imitating scenes from films with his friend.  Something I did as a kid with my friends and on similar films.  I didn’t realize he almost scored 1983’s Wargames.  That film I think is perfect and has a fantastic score so interesting to imagine it could have had a different great score.  Personal computers were brand new at that time and I recall as a grade school kid dreaming of being able to log in to my school and change my grades. 

Overall, I enjoyed the excerpt and am looking forward to owning all four volumes. I got the impression this project was a true labor of love from all who contributed.  From the excerpts I would definitely wish for more details.  For example, Goldsmith’s score to Patton was one of Horner’s favorites, would love to understand why – what he thought of that score and Jerry’s other scores especially on franchises he would inherit from him like Star Trek and Alien.

Did you happen to get in touch with Armin Ksajikian?  He has lots of stories as a session musician who played on almost every Horner score in LA. 

18 minutes ago, karelm said:

I didn’t realize he almost scored 1983’s Wargames.  That film I think is perfect and has a fantastic score so interesting to imagine it could have had a different great score.  Personal computers were brand new at that time and I recall as a grade school kid dreaming of being able to log in to my school and change my grades. 

But he did get to score Sneakers from the same screenwriters. (I never realized that there is also a Wargames joke about changing grades on the computer in Sneakers as well, presumably referencing Wargames.)

7 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Thank you for your messages. I love talking about this project.

Yes, I have all the dates of the recording sessions. But why do you want them? :mrgreen:

Well, I'll give you the month: June 2005.

Horner had a busy Summer that year! Flightplan recorded in July and The New World in August.

52 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Yes, I have all the dates of the recording sessions. But why do you want them? :mrgreen:

To see if it's possible to expand the score under the current AFM rules or not.

According the post below, the cutoff date is July 3rd, 2005. So, as I understand it, if Horner recorded his very last cue for the score (and then didn't record anything else) before July 3rd, then theoretically an expansion is possible! Right?

45 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

Horner had a busy Summer that year! Flightplan recorded in July and The New World in August.

28 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

And the Todd-AO Scoring Stage was also booked in October for All the King's Men.
Then the film was postponed for 9 months.

On the other hand, that means that expansions for Flightplan, The New World and All the King's Men are impossible as of now :(

The New World at least has an FYC with some additional material, but too much from that wonderful score still remains unreleased.

There's a scene in the movie (don't know if it's only on the extended edition or not, I only saw the 177-minute version) where Pocahontas and the Native Americans visit Colin Farrell's camp to offer some food and goods for the harsh winter. Then, as Pocahontas and Smith, who at the moment were developing their relationship, say goodbye, Horner scores the scene with some strings similar to the opening to Braveheart and Enemy at the Gates.

I fell in love with that cue so much that I even extracted it from the movie! But I still would like to hear it without the dialogues.

@Jean-Baptiste Martin do you know how much music did Horner record for The New World? Considering Malick kept re-editing the movie, is this a similar situation to The Thin Red Line, where Zimmer wrote hours and hours of material? Is there anything much different from what we already have on the OST, aside from the Enemy at the Gates-like cue I described above?

1 hour ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Thank you for your messages. I love talking about this project.

Well, I'll give you the month: June 2005.

I understand your comment about Patton.

Earlier in the book, in a section devoted to Jerry Goldsmith and his influence, there's a quote from James Horner who says he thinks Patton is great.

The index at the end of the book will make it easy to find all the occurrences.

Capture d’écran 2024-01-18 à 12.56.28.png

Yes, I'm in contact with him. Thank you.

Thank you. I just needed to know whether it was recorded prior July, as others have pointed out. That makes me optimistic for the expansion. 😀

Karol

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

@Jean-Baptiste Martin do you know how much music did Horner record for The New World? Considering Malick kept re-editing the movie, is this a similar situation to The Thin Red Line, where Zimmer wrote hours and hours of material? Is there anything much different from what we already have on the OST, aside from the Enemy at the Gates-like cue I described above?

According to this article - https://variety.com/2005/scene/awards/the-malick-conundrum-1117933724/

Horner says he spent eight months writing four hours of music for the pic. “I wrote and wrote and wrote, and Terry approved everything as we went along,” the composer says.

I've not seen anything else to verify that.

7 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

According to this article - https://variety.com/2005/scene/awards/the-malick-conundrum-1117933724/

I've not seen anything else to verify that.

Good to know! So if the OST plus the FYC include about 80-90 minutes of score (I'm guestimating), so that means there is a whopping 150 to 160 minutes of unreleased material!

Of course, if that material is mostly alternates of the cue we already have, with very few noticiable differences between them, then of course a theoretical expansion wouldn't need to include all 4 hours of music. La La Land's expansion of The Thin Red Line also does not have everything Zimmer wrote for that movie (as far as I know).