Christopher Young's "Nosferatu - A Symphony of Horror" CD

I was nosing through the FAQs and if they raise the full $50,000, ~$5,000 of that goes to KS and card processing fees so they've actually raised the amount they will receive and just need some more backers to cover KS's cut.

Also talks about picking the right target and considering what funds they may be getting from friends/family/others so they don't have any rules about being the sole source of funding.

On 01/04/2024 at 12:01 AM, Romão said:

Well, I'm biting the bullet, even if the shipping is a bit steep. I really want this to happen

If it was just the shipping, I could explain 50$ away as helping make the project happen... but if I count all the VAT and customs and handling and paperwork and slow post on top of that which from prior experience could add up to the same amount, and would all just go into the pockets of these [PRE_REDACTED FOR POLITICAL POST]'s, then that's a lot harder to bite on. I'm really liking what I'm hearing but I think I might just contribute some small amount and buy it properly from a proper store when it's out. If it's Warner Music then it'll surely be distributed properly, no?

It's more than $1000 over the target now, so hopefully we're on the safe side even if a few backers decide to back out (pun only half intended) at the last minute.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's more than $1000 over the target now, so hopefully we're on the safe side even if a few backers decide to back out (pun only half intended) at the last minute.

I thought that the Kickstarter would automatically close once the goal was met, but it just keeps going up...

Didn't know it was an option to back out.

Kickstarter campaigns run until the originally set deadline. Everything that's pledged at this point, as long as it's not below the limit, is collected.

I *think* it is possible to cancel a pledge as long as the campaign is still running.

23 hours ago, Thor said:

Indeed. Strange rule.

Not strange.  The platform fears that self pledges can be opportunistically used to reach the threshold, hence producing partially cash-constrained projects, besides constituting unethical behavior as it is a deceptive practice to those who've contributed in good faith: ‘‘Kickstarter operates under the premise that you need the whole amount for the project to work. When people pledge to your campaign, they aren’t just buying something, they’re also pledging because they believe that without the support, the project will not reach its goal and will not receive any of the pledged funds.”  Self-funding is considered a breach of trust of those who've supported the campaign because you're effectively saying I want to pay less for the project than I would have had to by taking the money others contributed for my own needs.

The spirit of it is right, but they say themselves in their FAQs that one of the most crucial aspects of starting a project is choosing the right threshold, and that's not going to be easy in some cases. You might set it a bit low to make it more likely to reach the goal, but knowing you're going to personally make up whatever shortfall there is in the end. And what if you do your best but costs are just higher than planned? You'd need to use some of your own or other money sources anyway.

Hence they don't forbid using other cash sources as part of the project in ther T&Cs, but they'd just prefer you didn't - they can only emphasize the nature and spirit of the financial backing they want to give you and obviously make it clear what's expected in return to backers.

It's not self-funding in general that's discouraged. You're supposed to estimate your requirements and then divide them up between what you can fund yourself and what you need to crowdfund. Then you start your campaign for the crowdfunded part, i.e. you should already have subtracted what you can reasonable contribute yourself from your campaign goal. It's still important to select a fitting goal based on how much you need at the very minimum to (hopefully) reliable deliver, and what you'd like to have to provide more than just the minimum viable product. And of course stretch goals can encourage backers to go far beyond your basic goal.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Everything that's pledged at this point, as long as it's not below the limit, is collected.

I'm guessing that the target amount is a safe estimate of what's needed. Of course there can always be unforeseen expenses, but what if the additional money isn't used?

They can put it towards paying back the shipping costs for the CDs. :D

10 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I'm guessing that the target amount is a safe estimate of what's needed. Of course there can always be unforeseen expenses, but what if the additional money isn't used?

Always depends on the project of course, and how much extra money it makes. As long as they deliver what they promised, and put any extra money to good use where the project allows, I don't have a problem with the creators keeping the surplus for themselves. If they can deliver, and as long as the product doesn't suffer from not getting the extra funds, they've earned it as far as I'm concerned.

I still kinda feel that something like "the target is $50k and the backers will put in up to $10k to reach the target" seems entirely fine to me and is effectively more transparent since it's not some nebulous amount outside of the system. That way, even if it's super popular, people can still invest even if it's effectively fully funded, especially if they specifically invest to get perks that may not be available any other way such as attending a scoring session or whatever.

Realistically, KS would want creators to either set a goal a certain % higher than they need, or have a backup source of extra funds to handle unexpected extra costs.

The only argument I can see against making additional funds more transparent is that had these guys set the goal at $50,000 but stated that Young is prepared to put down $5,000 in the event that there are extra costs, you might get rumblings once it's passed $45,000 that they've got what they need and that any further pledges are just going into the pockets of the creators. I don't personally have any issue with that though. Either they can comfortably cover their costs for this project, or they have more for their next one.

$3,490 over the $50,000 goal now, from 477 backers total. There’s only an hour left if anyone wants to get in on pre-ordering this 2CD set for $30 though!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nosferatu-music/christopher-youngs-nosferatu-a-symphony-of-horror-cd

Yavar

10 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Now just need to wait to see my name in lights (well a thank you in the credits). Oh and can't wait to hear it, obviously. Decided to give all the clips a miss, feels like one of those things I will enjoy more when the whole thing is there to enjoy.

Yes.

The music in the latter part of one of the clips above was nice but I'm not vested in the project enough to pledge - hopefully the end results will make it onto streaming, and if it doesn't, I still have that clip to enjoy.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes.

I skimmed through them but only to tease. Will listen to the full thing properly.

Karol

I'm far from being a true classical music connoisseur, but the main theme seems to take some inspiration from Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead. Is it just me, probably being too taken by those undulating strings?

Perhaps there is some Rachmaninoff influence - I feel it, don't see it. But hey, that's classically trained film composers. Balfe's reference points are Esquire Trevor Jones from 1992.