Film Score Day (April. 3rd)

Did anyone know this?!?!

"On April 3rd, Film Score Day recognizes the musical masterpieces called "Film Scores" and, more specifically, the very talented composers who create them."

So to that end... HAPPY FILM SCORE DAY!

Let's celebrate this beautiful artform and the composers who make it!!!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I remember vaguely hearing about this "day" awhile back, but made no fuss over it. Every day is a film score day in my household.

That's like having "bread day".

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I remember vaguely hearing about this "day" awhile back, but made no fuss over it. Every day is a film score day in my household.

Oh definitely! Same here

Yeah I saw that as well, but I thought heck, we'll make it a global thing. Even though I know on here it's Film Score Day everyday for almost everyone

47 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It seems to be just a national thing in the U.S.

....and hailing from the premiere of Rozsa's THE JUNGLE BOOK in 1942, of all things (according to what I read online). I mean, it's a fine score, but what a peculiar PR strategy to launch this "day" in correlation with that.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

....and hailing from the premiere of Rozsa's THE JUNGLE BOOK in 1942, of all things (according to what I read online). I mean, it's a fine score, but what a peculiar PR strategy to launch this "day" in correlation with that.

I read that article, too. I understood, that this was the first published non-musical film score album.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I read that article, too. I understood, that this was the first published non-musical film score album.

I thought that was Arthur Bliss' THINGS TO COME (1936).

All joking aside, I think it’s a nice idea to bring more public awareness to the art. 

Of course for us, every day is Film Score Day.  But maybe you can celebrate by buying a CD or vinyl or download for a friend, or coworker, or their child who maybe might get something out of it. 

45 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

You can say that until you're blue in the face, but you'll give in!

Well done!

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

All joking aside, I think it’s a nice idea to bring more public awareness to the art. 

Of course for us, every day is Film Score Day.  But maybe you can celebrate by buying a CD or vinyl or download for a friend, or coworker, or their child who maybe might get something out of it. 

There are children in Africa who have never even heard of Bernard Herrmann!

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Yes, but how many non-film music enthusiasts are actually aware this day exists, I wonder... Heck, I only just heard of it through this thread.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Let's make a non-film-score-day.

Didn't @Tallguy try that for seven days straight?

It almost killed him.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

There are children in Africa who have never even heard of Bernard Herrmann!

This must be stopped! Divert all shipments from specialty labels of Herrmann titles to Africa! Bono can pilot the plane!

55 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Didn't @Tallguy try that for seven days straight?

It almost killed him.

It wasn't a NO film scores. It was only three film scores. :)

(Seriously, I've been listening to almost exclusively LP programs ever since. It's weird.)

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

Give an old OST you don’t need anymore to Thor.

Fixed!

12 minutes ago, Andy said:

Carry a conductor’s baton and a sack filled with 1-cent Titanic OST’s you’ve been hoarding.

Or Jay's gazillion FIDDLER copies. 

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:
15 minutes ago, Andy said:

Give an old expanded edition you don’t need anymore to Thor.

Fixed!

More fixed!

2 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Yes, but how many non-film music enthusiasts are actually aware this day exists, I wonder... Heck, I only just heard of it through this thread.

But institutions like orchestras, concert halls or any kind of music ensembles could pay tribute by just playing film music on that day.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

May the 4th had to start somewhere.

It's a nice little prelude to Star Wars Day, which is three weeks later!

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Start a composer thread for a composer you think we should pay more attention to.

Let's see... Jerry, Jerry, Jerry... Oh! We seem to have a few!

May the 4th will never be Star Wars day to me, no matter what the social media or JWFan tells me. Rather, it'll be Avengers: Endgame day, because it was exactly on that day in 2019 that I watched it in theaters with my friends, a truly memorable experience (40% because of the movie and 60% because of the company).

Since then, every May the 4th I try to see at least a few moments (I don't have time these days to re-watch a 3 hour movie, lol).

4/26 for ALIEN is no more clever than 5/4 for Star Wars. 

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

4/26 for ALIEN is no more clever than 5/4 for Star Wars. 

Damn fool, I KNEW you were gonna say that.

But I'm far more in favor of celebrating May 25th, 1977. But you might have guessed that.

38 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It's also towel day for some reason.

I think it's due to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where the towel is an important item.

So the people marketers were like:

"We need a date to make nerds spend even more money in nerd stuff than they already do. What should we do?"

"I have an idea: nerds like that Hitchhiker book, where there's a towel thing, right? Also, they like Star Wars! So let's make nerd day on May 25th (Star Wars's anniversary) and call it towel day in reference to Hitchhiker! We're so clever!"

1 hour ago, Andy said:

no more clever than 5/4 for Star Wars. 

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I think it's due to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where the towel is an important item.

I know Hitchhiker's. I just don't know why they picked 5/25.

...a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.