Are we the most dedicated John Williams Fans in the world?

King Mark

Well,some can argue there are many JW fanatics that don't own a computer thereby wouldn't visit this site.But do you think that's really the case?Really,beeing a TOP John Williams fan means beeing a geek of the other stuff attached to JW,like Star Wars,Harry Potter,LotR(somehow related),and ALL geeks have computers with an Internet connection to get the latest news in those subjects.Beeing a top JW fan also means trying desperately to find all his scores in one form or another,is it inevitable the TRUE fans end up here eventually?

And we that post here,are we the ones that found this place as though we were meant to be here(like Roy Neary and a few others reach Devil's Tower in CE3K?)

so in all fairness,do we deserve a special official recognition by JW himself?

K.M.Who thinks 2004 is the year that we must make ourselves known to JW.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple enough...my joining this message board, i think we can declair ourselves the top JW fans around...and if someone says their a HUGE jw fan, why not join the message board?!

It would be great if Williams would notice this site and us fans. There propably isn't a more dedicated group of John Williams fans than ours around. The T-shirt is a nice idea Ren :) I'm all for it!

I have often wondered if Williams has ever strayed to this site when he is in the internet. And if he wrote on the MB would any of us believe it was him.

The thought of him watching our discussion on his music is quite surreal. The speculations and the hopes for future scores and the analysis of his music(that could be totally wrong).

Williams received our birthday congratulations 2 years ago didn't he? He should know about us!

I think I am devoted enough, maybe not stalwart (I don't like "Sleepers"), though, but I hold JW in a high regard and I think I've already begun taking his music as an essential part of my life. It's like my partner; with all its pros and cones, I need that music in my life and I won't give up on it, ever.

I am quite a fanatic JW fan myself and his music is an essential part of my life and has been for more than 7 years. Some of his scores appeal to me more than others but the same level of ingenuity and heart of his music and the fact that he writes so wonderful and versatile scores is amazing! I find myself discovering new things every time I listen to his scores. His music speaks so clearly in and out of the picture that it is written for. Not all the music in all the scores is of the same caliber but still there is something great on every score to hear. And his ability to create unprecedented sounds and complitely new style of music (compared to the usual style of his) has gained my respect and admiration for him. There is no other composer whose scores or music would touch me and connect with me as John Willliams' does.

1. I don't know about the geeky part.

2. I'm totally not interested in making my own JW compilations.

3. JW is a good subject if you wanna talk on the internet.

4. I listen to other music as well.

5. Besides his music I have little or no information about JW. I'm always more interested in the music than in the person behind it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Now here is a GOOD question:

Who is the most dedicated JW fan on this board?

Among the regulars ......... I dunno who I would go with .....

Joe perhaps?

He seems to have quite a collection of Williams stuff.

Miguel also has alot.

King Mark has a sizeable collection and is a very big JW fan.

However, the size of one's JW collection is ONLY a part of fandom.

I dunno this is a tough call.

We should make a poll about this.

I guess my choice is KM for now.

Ugh...trying to find the most dedicated fan on this board would take way to long to actually figure out...I think we all deserve a round of applause just for taking time out of our lives to come here and talk about John Williams with other fans!

I think Williams would have no respect for someone who went up to him and claimed that they owned every score and every album of his and loved every note of them. That sort of blind dedication is what leads to fanboys and fanatics and anyone would be turned off by that.

If I were to meet Williams - well, I have met him before - but I mean really formally introduced to him and had a chance to hold a conversation with him I wouldn't just start praising him and telling him how much I love his music. I would tell him how fond I am of his music and how he has given me an appreciation not only for the art of film scoring but also for classical music in general.

Williams himself would probably be turned off by the most dedicated of "fans". I'm sure he does not consider himself to be either the greatest living or greatest all-time composer.

I would'nt say i'm one of these "dedicated" fans. I admire some of William's work very much. But i do also listen to many other kinds of music and have just as much respect for the composers and artists of those genres . I would say i'm a dedicated "music listener" more than anything. From classical - film score - world music - rock - folk - synth - techno - trance - whatever else. I love music full stop. You would certainly never get me walking around with a Jwfan T-shirt, or "I love Jerry" badge on. And i'll never drink from a Jwfan mug. That's a mug's game. I agree with MaestroJW when he says that some people get too much in awe of certain people to a degree where they see them as something really beyond human. We're all fallable. And if i ever met Wiliams, then i'd rather invite him for a drink somewhere than get all stuttery and be lost for words. Life is too short to idolize pop stars and film score composers. When i was at the Barbican last year, i really did cringe at that wave of people who went chasing after Jerry as he was leaving, with things for him to sign. I mean, the guy is human and that kind of thing probably freaks him out big time.

Well, if you make it seem like your not a dedicated fan, then I guess im not either. I only own about 4 or 5 Williams cd's...I couldn't say I'm obsessed with him, but as a young musican myself, he would have to be my music rolemodel/idol. I look up to what he has done as a person and a musican. And Melange...about what you said on how "Life is to short to Idolize pop stars and film composers"...i complete disagree with that. I think that it is very important to have a role model or an idol that you can look up to and reach for his accomplishments in life. I think that the fans in this board fall into a completely different catagory that huge fans of, lets say, Brittney Spears. So I dont think that being dedicated means being obsessed, I think it means more of looking up to him as some of us here do.

......I think that it is very important to have a role model or an idol that you can look up to and reach for his accomplishments in life.

"Or her accomplishments" (sorry....just going into one of my Life of Brian quotes again :mrgreen: )

As you say. It's a case of either "admiration", or "obsessing".

Deny it all you want. Dress it up anyway you like, if you are posting here, you obviously are a fan (or fanatic) about Williams' music. Is that something to be ashamed of suddenly?

Neil

I think we're all dedicated to some degree. It takes some dedication to check into this site every day or every other day, to register as a member of this site and to frequently discuss JW and his music.

The T-shirt is a fantastic idea, as I've said before, but I think it should be hand delivered to him at a concert, not mailed semi-anonymously.

I have also wondered if JW or one of his lackies visit the site. Knowing that JW has confessed a lack of computer knowledge, he probably doesn't regularly visit. But a co-worker who is a Kinks fan said she think the lead singer (Ray Davies) lurks at that fansite almost every day. Who knows if JW has a spy here? I've thought about that a lot.

Jeff

Deny it all you want.  Dress it up anyway you like, if you are posting here, you obviously are a fan (or fanatic) about Williams' music.  Is that something to be ashamed of suddenly?

Neil

hehe, well unfortunatly it is in real life. You see, I loooove John Williams' work, but most people around me listen to ''normal'' music, so it's hard for me to listen to my music without being laughed at. People only listen to Sean Paul, Shakira, Hilary Duff (okay I admit she does make nice music as well), but when it comes to movie soundtracks.. I can only listen to my music when I'm home alone, or when my sister is watching Hook or Harry Potter 8O

So usually when people ask me what my favorite music is I usually lie or say I don't like music at all, but when they see me whistle the tunes of a Spielberg movie they're all like ''you sure memorize themes well!'' :mrgreen:

Deny it all you want.  

Dress it up anyway you like,  

if you are posting here, you  

obviously are a fan (or fanatic)  

about Williams' music.  

Is that something to be ashamed of suddenly?

Contemplate this on the tree of woe

Neil

I'm certainly not (and never have been) ashamed of admitting that i like Film score music (although i refrained once from mentioning to someone that i listened to Rambo music.....hehehe). So i dont feel the same as Gizmo, for feeling ashamed about admitting that i like Film score music. If he's a younger guy, then i understand his restraint because it's harder for younger guys to admit it amongst their friends. To me, Filim scores are not something nerdy at all. They're a high form of music. The thing he's talking about, also goes for Classical music though. Many young admirers of Classical music hide the fact they like it (and even listen to it), because it has a stigma attached to it (which seems prevelant all over the world) that it's a musical genre reserved only for old people, in their twilight years. When i was younger, i also hid the fact i liked Classical music. But it does'nt bother me in the slightest today.

Hence i also openly admit to being into Film score music, because it's sheer class. But i would'nt consider myself a "fan" of JW because that word linkages to extreme obsessions, and i dont think "admiration" is the same thing. Fan's "usually" also like everything that their Idol has ever produced. And i cannot truly say that for Johnny. A "Fan's" life tends to revolve around something and it becomes obsessive to a disturbing degree. That's where i feel i depart from being a "fan". I listen to all kinds of music everyday aswell. As for the Jwfan discussion board. I come here because it is "that". It allows us to discuss elements of Johnny's scores, and other film scores too. Also because we can play around with Off topics and talk nonsense with a group of like minded ("speak for yourself Melange" i hear them say) people. I would'nt say it's exclusively Johnny hree. That's why i like it. If it were exclusively Johnny, then i probably would'nt be here very much because his work in the last 2 years or so is not doing a lot for me. I also think we would of run out of topics a long time ago if it was exclusviely Johnny. But when it comes to T-Shirts, Mugs, and Cd signings. I'm afraid that does'nt fit me at all. Each to their own though LOL

You play Beverly Hills Cop, everyone grins.

You play Jaws, nobody gets it.

What a bloody shame.

If you play it on an instrument, that's true, but I'll bet if you put on the infamous "dum-dum" theme from Jaws everyone knows what it is. Too bad a lot of people don't know the other great music from that film (I love the "pirate" theme 8O).

- Marc

:mrgreen: Alan Silvestri - Back to the Future (suite)

Everyone knows the great themese from Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter etc. but hardly anyone knows who made them. That's probably why I got more and more involved with mr. Williams' fantasic work

Too bad no-one (at least no-one I know) instantly recognizes the awesome Force theme.

And I too became a Williams fan when I found out those great themes from all those movies were all written by one man. Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, all Williams'. Woah. :mrgreen:

- Marc

I´d say we are the most dedicated JW fan group in the world, there might be some people out there that love JW as much as we do, but there´s definitely no bigger group of huge JW fans than this one.

What a bloody shame.

Play "Tubular Bells" and everyone goes "Ah...The Exorcist Theme" :sigh:

"No no NO...it's Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, which just so happened to be used in the Exorcist" ;)

:mrgreen: Black Beauty Theme - BBC TV Series 8O

I´d say we are the most dedicated JW fan group in the world, there might be some people out there that love JW as much as we do, but there´s definitely no bigger group of huge JW fans than this one.

Haha, yes Exactly!

What a bloody shame.

You play Beverly Hills Cop everybody goes "Huh? What?"

You play Jaws and you've got a panic on your hands on the 4th of July.

Neil

What a bloody shame.

If you play it on an instrument, that's true, but I'll bet if you put on the infamous "dum-dum" theme from Jaws everyone knows what it is.

I tried this once at work, and the people I was working with honestly had no idea what I was listening to.

I was stunned that they really had no clue.

Anthony

What a bloody shame.

If you play it on an instrument, that's true, but I'll bet if you put on the infamous "dum-dum" theme from Jaws everyone knows what it is.

I tried this once at work, and the people I was working with honestly had no idea what I was listening to. . .

Anthony

Where do you work?

Under a rock.

LOL

At the time, I was working on the overnight stock crew at Target, so that's a pretty accurate description.

Anthony, who now works at a bookstore with much more intelligent people

I'm not ashamed to be a Williams fan! But because I know one person who even KNOWS who John Williams is, I vent all of my information on to him. I can go on for hours, bottling up my opinions and stuff. The worst thing in the world is when I say John Williams is my favourite artist, and they all say "Who? The guitarist?"! I hate country music and that guitarist!!!

If I had a terminal desease and plan to die soon,my wish would be to make it to the release of the Ep3 score.

K.M.

Play it for your funeral. :mrgreen:

I think Williams would have no respect for someone who went up to him and claimed that they owned every score and every album of his and loved every note of them. That sort of blind dedication is what leads to fanboys and fanatics and anyone would be turned off by that.

Most people but I can think of several people in showbiz who would relish that kind of ass kissing.

I won't name names, but if you know me I am SURE damn near everyone can guess who one of them is ...... 8O

If you need a hint let me know! :mrgreen:

Why do you become so offended when they talk about John Williams the guitarist. He's pretty good ya no so it's not like they are degrading Johnny when they take about him. Bt yes, I realize how annoying it is when your trying to tell someone about the composer/conductor and they dont know who he is.

John Williams (the classical guitarist) is a talented man.

I dont know why some folks have bad feeling towards him  8O

He steals the thunder that's rightfully property of our own bald, bearded maestro.