Day jobs?

Figo

I'm curious, what does everyone here do all day, that you're able to post at all hours? I'll write something, and generally within minutes there's a response. I know Joe has a real job, since he nearly got fired when Neil posted a photo of Letha Weapons. But what about Neil? He seems to be here all the time. Steef, it seems, is the only man alive capable of maintaining a relationship, while never actually leaving the keyboard. And Morn -- forget about it.

Me? I'm independently wealthy, of course. I was just wondering about the rest of you.

Sorry if this belongs off topic.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a student. I have a personal computer in my campus, so I can log in whenever I feel like it - or maybe I post as I'm writing an article or a research project.

Then again, I can't stay on for too long during the February and June finals.

-Ross, who curses the inventor of finals and his children, and his children's children, and his children's children's children.... an so on.

who curses the inventor of finals and his children, and his children's children, and his children's children's children

and the Judean Popular Peoples Front!

To tell you the truth, I work on missile defense. I don't post as often as I would like but I do when I can.

To tell you the truth, I work on missile defense.  I don't post as often as I would like but I do when I can.

Just please don't push the wrong button. :)

I have internet access at the shop I work at, so being here is not a problem, assuming some jerk-weed customer doesn't use a credit card, since I'm limited to a dial-up connection and they share the same phone line.

Away from work I have no life.

Neil

To tell you the truth, I work on missile defense.  I don't post as often as I would like but I do when I can.

Given that and where you live, I'd bet money that you and my dad work for the same company.

I'm currently unemployed. I worked as a substitute teacher until the end of last month, not a regular job by any means. And I'm going to be going to graduate school in the fall.

LOL I hear you! Back when I had an open shop, few things were as annoying as having to deal with a customer, right when I was in the middle of a brilliant post. Don't they realize we're doing something?

LOL I hear you!  Back when I had an open shop, few things were as annoying as having to deal with a customer, right when I was in the middle of a brilliant post.  Don't they realize we're doing something?

They also don't seem to know not to enter when you are eating or going to the bathroom or talking on the phone or sleeping. :)

Neil

I may have delusions of grandeur sometimes, but I would never mess with a three-headed monkey.

:)

Wait till you see my next avatar...(Monkey Island based of course!)

I work at home, right here at this very computer. That's how I find time to listen to music, too. ;) Though right now, I don't work a lot...but I hope that'll change soon.

Marian - who is currently re-playing the Monkey Island games. :)

:P The Matrix Revolutions (Don Davis)

Steef, it seems, is the only man alive capable of maintaining a relationship, while never actually leaving the keyboard.

It's easy, i'm in a relationship, but not living with my girlfriend, and due to circumstanses we don't get to see each other as much as both of us would want.

So I have plenty of time to waste here.

As for my job.

I'm a screenprinter, I work in one of the largest screenprint shops in the country (a whopping 30 people), But I have no internet access there, so I only visit the MB when i'm at home.

And Morn -- forget about it.

Who?

I try to look busy at work more than I am actually busy. Since my work (running the newspaper's Web site, writing stories) is on the computer, I can do computer-related stuff like browsing JWFan and still look very busy.

Jeff -- who thinks Steef has no real job, and runs a basement shop full of desperate Dutchmen who sew his clothing line

I'm a student at Grand Valley State during the fall and winter. Now that it's summer, I work at a kennel taking care of dogs (and the occasional cat), dealing with customers, cleaning, making reservations, etc. It's a pretty good job; it's not at all boring and I like animals. Unfortunately, there's really no way to visit JWFan for a significant length of time or listen to music at work. But it's not full-time, so I survive. :(

Ray Barnsbury-who think this is an interesting thread

Heh . . . actually there's just not enough time where I'm sitting in the office area to get a good listen in. I'd have to pause it every five minutes, or just miss portions. Though I do feel sorry for the dogs sometimes, since the radios in the kennel area sometimes play loud rock and country.

Ray Barnsbury

Though I do feel sorry for the dogs sometimes, since the radios in the kennel area sometimes play loud rock and country.

That is just a travesty! Somebody call PETA!!!

Well, I'm still at High School, but I probably don't post enough to be in the obsessed category.

Oh, love the avatar John, Murrays definately my favourite character from the MI series (though he wasn't as good in Escape). And I keep getting confused; Murray's my avatar in about three other forums so I keep thinkng you're me...

I have a PC at my desk at work and I can browse the internet from time to time when I feel like taking a break.

The telcecom company that sends me a pension check would say I'm an early-out retiree who grabbed my parachute and jumped. Not independently wealthy, just independent. Volunteer work takes my time and clogs my computer.

Now, for office workers, there used to be freeware called "the boss button." If the boss approached, you could quickly turn off Tetris, or the Internet, or whatever you were wasting the day on, and an important-looking spreadsheet would appear on the screen. It was okay as long as the boss never actually looked closely at the spreadsheet, which had sheep, among other non-telecom things.

Mike (and no, I'm not retired because of the boss button or sheep)

I conduct forensic analyses of audio (and some video) recordings for criminal investigations, civil matters, administrative matters, etc. I have headphones on all day, listening to recordings of individuals in the act of committing a crime, confessing to a crime, covertly recording their estranged spouse... you name it. Invariably, it's people at their worst.

The most unfortunate aspect of the job is that I don't have the luxury of listening to Williams' music since I have to concentrate on what I'm listening to. :mrgreen:

As some of you might know I currently occupy two jobs. First; I'm a teacher and assistant director at a large elementary school.

Second I'm active in the music industry, but, surprisingly not in film music. I'm composing, arranging, producing original songs for young, talented singers who want to make a career in the pop/rock scene, but lack original material and image. That's what we provide.

Soon we'll have a website up so for those interested, please visit...

I heard that Figo can sing really good, so maybe we can work something out... :mrgreen:

Anyway; I've been married too; for almost one year and a half now. I've got a beautiful and great wife, and I'm sure Chris will agree that asian women are really great. Well, not all ofcourse. Ever saw Audition?

Bye,

Roald

Oh, love the avatar John, Murrays definately my favourite character from the MI series (though he wasn't as good in Escape).

Yeah, he was criminally underused in that game.

And I keep getting confused; Murray's my avatar in about three other forums so I keep thinkng you're me...

Maybe I am....

Second I'm active in the music industry, but, surprisingly not in film music.

Of course not, there is only one Dutch film composer currently working.

I'm composing, arranging, producing original songs for young, talented singers who want to make a career in the pop/rock scene, but lack original material and image. That's what we provide.

Ummm...sounds like you are involved with Idols? :wave:

Anyway; I've been married too; for almost one year and a half now. I've got a beautiful and great wife, and I'm sure Chris will agree that asian women are really great. Well, not all ofcourse.

Oh please, i'm with an asian women, and I know a few others.

You and Chrusher make it sound like they are from another planet.

Bye,

Roald

Stefancos- wondering if Roald has returned to the MB?

I work as the public affairs coordinator for a major astronomical observatory.

I don't get to visit the site as much as I would like and sometimes the flood of the posts can be difficult to wade through.

I am a Chemistry person. I am currently working a job with chemistry at a university but I am getting a job in the business place soon.

Right now I have more time to post. I don't actually have that much time. I basically just WAM BANG a series of posts one right after the other in a short space of time thanks to my incredible typing skils! ;)

I'm a fine arts teacher, and after work I do have a life -- wife and little baby boy.

Nevertheless, the school were I work has several computers with Internet conection, and I trty to check things out whenever I have a break.

ain't got a job... nor do I have any school anymore... will do the Royal College of Music in Stockholm trials again next year... see if I have any better luck... finding a work nowadays isn't funny...

I'm starting a new day job on July 6, working for the State of Massachusetts. I'll be making a database of all their renovation projects. Sounds interesting doesn't it? LOL

Now I work for the evil Corporate Real Estate Lawyers of Fleet National bank :)

Glad I'm getting out.

But also, I compose at night, hopefully full time in the next 2 years.

As you may have figured by now, I'm a world class director by day and a world class pimp by night. And I don't come cheap neither.

Hitch, who actually :) on the set of NAKED BEACH 2 when Van Niestelroy scored for the Dutchies. I think the Swiss are making voodoo dolls of David Beckham for their clash tomorrow. From Hells Heart, I stab at thee.

my work (running the newspaper's Web site, writing stories)

I think film music is to music in general what journalism is to literature.

Huh?

They have a lot in common in concept:

Both are a means, not an end. Usually writing a story and writing music is done for the art itself. Not so with journalism or with film music.

Hence, in both cases, the final result lacks its full meaning on its own, as it is always done in service of a major element (in the case of film music, the film).

Also, both are done in haste, and that's where a great deal of the authors' credit goes to.

And finally, both are more craftmanship than art, although natural talent is very need in both cases.

-Ross, who still thinks film music is the journalism of music.

Well argued, Ross, but don't forget Twain, Hemingway, and Tom Wolfe all began as journalists. Screenwriter (and novelist) Ben Hecht cut his teeth as a Chicago newspaper man. And brilliant columnists like H.L. Mencken flourished in the form. Without attempting high literature, paradoxically, he somehow managed to achieve it.

Huh?

They have a lot in common in concept:

Both are a means, not an end. Usually writing a story and writing music is done for the art itself. Not so with journalism or with film music.

Hence, in both cases, the final result lacks its full meaning on its own, as it is always done in service of a major element (in the case of film music, the film).

Also, both are done in haste, and that's where a great deal of the authors' credit goes to.

And finally, both are more craftmanship than art, although natural talent is very need in both cases.

-Ross, who still thinks film music is the journalism of music.

I can't argue with any of those similarities, but I still wouldn't call film music the "journalism" of music.